AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A friend of mine has the 360 but does not have broadband to update his firmware. I was going to create him a CD after downloading the firmware but am slightly confused as the instructions do not say weather or not the .zip needs to be extracted or if it is to remain in a zip format.

These are the instructions from Xbox

Quote:
To create a DVD or CD:

Click here to begin downloading the update folder. Save it as "$SystemUpdate_[date].zip" anywhere on your computer.

Place a blank disc in your burner.

From Windows Explorer, select Open Writable CD Folder Using Windows Explorer or open the CD drive icon.

Drag the zipped $SystemUpdate zip folder to the CD Folder. If the CD write window doesn't open by default, drag and drop folder on the CD/DVD RW drive.

Note

If you are using an earlier version of Windows you will need to open the file using a separate utility (for example, WinZip).

In the Explorer window, click Write files to CD from the CD writing tasks or right-click the CD/DVD RW drive and select Write these files to CD.

Caution

The update filename and folder structure must be intact for the update to run properly.

Follow the steps in the CD wizard.

When you are finished with the wizard, the CD will eject. Your CD is ready.

Im confused because although it says to drag the "$SystemUpdate zip folder to the CD Folder" it also says below that "If you are using an earlier version of Windows you will need to open the file using a separate utility (for example, WinZip)."

Once again do I leave the file zipped or do I unzip the files? If I was at home I would test it out on my 360 but alas I'm not home at the moment.

Thanks in advance..

Dregun

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When unzipped its a folder with the same name as the zip file, inside the folder is another file with no extension and the file name is just a bunch of numbers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I believe that the files will need to be on the cd/dvd unzipped.

Their instructions lead me to believe that the process of dropping the .zip file onto the cdr will unzip the file(s) as part of the burning process (provided that you have the necessary version of Windows)

Just check the cdr after burning. See if the files on the disc are unzipped.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree with DeathDealerB. After reading it again, they think that it will unzip itself for burning, like an .iso or a .cue and .bin.

Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah I believe after unzipping it becomes a cue, iso or bin I remember doing it for a friend a while back i used nero to burn that file after it was extracted. One problem though if your thinking of updating his system to view avi files the codec file needed for that can only be downloaded to that machine while is logged in on XBL, this was the information i got from MS when I was trying to update my other 360 that is not hooked up to xbl and use it to view avi files.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts