AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Beta Test Participants,

We are posting a new beta firmware version today. The firmware can be downloaded from http://128.242.116.6/download/UPG20090116.zip

Instructions for installing the firmware can be found at http://128.242.116.6/download/BDP-83_FW_Instruction.pdf

Alternatively, if the network connection for your BDP-83 is working, you can try upgrading via the Internet (Setup Menu - Device Setup - Firmware Upgrade - Via Network). The process is not refined but should work if you wait long enough for it to search and download the firmware file.

This revision includes a new decoder pack (v3794) from our decoder chip maker and a new BD loader firmware version. The changes include:

* General stability and disc compatibility improvements.

* Audio video synchronization improvements.

* Fix for the audio drop-out issue.

* Fix for the audio echo effect issue.

* CD and SACD text

* Fix for the combing problem when playing the DVE A/V sync test clip.

* Minor changes to HDMI handshake handling.

Your feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you very much for the help in this beta test process.

Best regards,

Jason J. Liao

CTO & VP of Product Development

OPPO Digital, Inc

2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B

Mountain View, CA 94043

Tel: 650-810-1619

Fax: 650-961-1119
www.oppodigital.com

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
Will have to give this a shake later to see if I no longer have to set 160ms worth of delay when bit streaming Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD Master.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The update was completed successfully by Wi-Fi connection to the internet here. The total process took about two minutes of which the first minute was spent "searching." The update version was then confirmed.

All is well.

Dana

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Downloaded via network BDP83-04-0116-V2 and new BD loader BE1800 successfully by WiFi connection to internet.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Nice to see Dolby TrueHD audio synced via bitstream in AUTO resolution mode (Transformers BR)

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Forbidden Kingdom BR was also audio synced via bitstream in AUTO resolution with 1080P/24P ON using DTS-HD MA 7.1. (no 160ms AV offset)

I however notice that when skipping chapters ahead/behind via remote that sometimes the audio would studder/dropout multiple times before being constant and was fairly easy to reproduce. This also occurred sometimes when skipping chapters ahead/behind sometimes with Transformers BR via Dolby TrueHD. So far not noticed audio dropouts in either format when playing both these BR's without interuption. Pausing or unpausing video doesn't cause this issue either, that's OK. Also noticed that you have to be viewing a scene with a active audio score playing for it to occur (Forbidden Kingdom chapter 7 for example), a silent scene it doesn't occur.

Note: I reset to factory defaults after updates, and then restored settings manually as needed.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Ethernet upgrade?... I don't think so. Will be useing the handy_dandy flash drive tonight

This firmware is perfect timing though, as my Sin City and Dusk Till Dawn Blu-rays just arrived today from Canada. See, Canada's not totally worthless...

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/15583873

Ethernet upgrade?... I don't think so. Will be useing the handy_dandy flash drive tonight

Don't be a coward, lightning won't strike twice!

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Good_God_almighty!!!
If Sin City looks this good on my humble 720p LCD pj, then I can't imagine what it looks like on a high end 1080p setup... WOW!!!

As for any firmware comments?...

I had 112 fw installed before the upgrade. I turned on the player with the eject button on the player, the player never opened, but I had Dark Night inside of it and it automaically started playing. So I took out the disc and powered off. Tried turning it backon with the eject button and although it did power on, it did not eject the tray.

So then I upgraded the fw, and it id the same thing with the new fw. Eject button powers on the player, but the tray does not open. You have to wait till it is powered on and then hit the eject button and the tray operates as normal then.

Now back to Sin City

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Did this update right after watching Serenity with some friends (and getting some ugly looks from my wife when the player hiccupped about seven or eight times). I've only spot-checked it since the update (which went fine via internet, by the way) and have seen no problems. Also seeing good AV sync with the 0116 firmware, which was not the case earlier tonight with bitstream DTS-HD MA output (although multichannel analog was good, and was in use during the movie showing). I'll make a second review of Serenity in the morning while I start writing up an addendum for work, just to be sure. So far, the new decoder pack looks promising.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,026 Posts
Main firmware and BD Loader firmware both installed without problem over the internet.

----------------------------------------------------

Powering up after the install using the tray open button on the remote still leaves the tray closed -- not surprising since that bug is apparently in the MCU firmware and that part wasn't updated this time.

----------------------------------------------------

I decided to do a Reset Defaults after the install this time just to see if there were any issues re-entering my normal settings. During the subsequent "Easy Setup" I attempted to set Source Direct resolution and got an HDMI handshake failure (intermittent black screens and static flashes). After 15 seconds the player reverted to what it had been using before (I didn't note that but it was probably 1080p/59.94 resulting from Auto mode). I tried Source Direct a second time and this time it worked without a hitch -- still yielding 1080p/59.94. I'm not sure why the switch to Source Direct would even have required a handshake in this situation.

-----------------------------------------------------

The defaults now have Angle, Pip, and SAP marks all set to OFF. This is good.

Down Mix defaults to 7.1 and subwoofer defaults to ON. Both of these make sense to me.

Resetting down mix to 5.1 and then going counter clockwise from LS setting speakers to large and distance to 8 feet (just to see what happens) still results in LS being set to 4 feet when you get back to it. This is explained in the manual -- when you change the front speaker distance the surrounds are modified by the same amount. From a user interface point of view this is going to confuse people, but it is covered in the manual.

HDMI CEC still defaults to ON even though I selected "Compatibility" in Easy Setup. I think OFF would be a better choice in that case.

There were no new issues re-entering my normal settings. I left the Picture and lip sync controls at default for the moment.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Black levels still show as too high in my setup when HDMI YCbCr 4:2:2 is used at anything other than 480i output resolution. I tried playing with the various HDMI related settings to see if I could find any that were connected with this and found none. Reducing Picture > Brightness one step is enough to fix this (actually my testing shows that overcompensates just a hair). We'll see what Anthem says when they get their Oppo test players.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Navigating through the "DVE HD Basics" menus I'm getting what appears to be something like key bounce on the remote. One button press on Enter yielding something besides just the Enter command causing the "operation not permitted" red circle with a slash through it to appear. I don't know if this is actually a problem in the remote or if the firmware is seeing one command as two commands.

I have had no repeat of the odd menu situation from the last firmware where the menus got rendered in an intermediate state halfway between one menu and another below it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Using the audio sync test on "DVE HD Basics" Blu-Ray, Source Direct appears to be in correct sync. Explicit 1080p appears to still require 40ms of HDMI sync delay. This is with HDMI YCbCr 4:4:4 video (1080p/23.976) and HDMI LPCM audio.

Apparently the HDMI sync delay doesn't alter Source Direct output, as I can leave it at 40ms (thus correcting explicit 1080p) and Source Direct remains correct!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

No Pixel Cropping errors detected.

5.1 HDMI LPCM audio channels all function (checked for both Blu-Ray and SD-DVD).

Using the Avia Pro Luma Grayscale > Luma Levels > Needle Pulses > Log Steps + Gamma chart (or any of the similar charts that show the horizontal gamma grid lines) the gamma grid lines are not stable. It's as if the background patch under the black horizontal gamma lines is altering in brightness -- flashing in and out of the correct state.

This is true regardless of the HDMI de-interlacing setting.

This is with HDMI YCbCr 4:4:4 Source Direct 480i/59.94 output.

I've not seen this problem in prior firmware.

The Grayscale > Banding Check chart also flashes in and out of showing jaggies along the diagonal edges of the triangular wedges.

Altering the CUE correction setting also has no effect on this glitches.

The instability is also pronounced on the Luma Response > Sharpness and Peaking chart and Resolution Check chart. The Resolution Check chart is particularly grim because when you enter it, it takes about 6 seconds before it stabilizes at all.

These glitches are much worse than I've seen in prior firmware.

The Y/C delay error shown by Avia Pro SD-DVD still exists in this firmware. I tried various alternate HDMI settings to see if any of them might have an impact and they didn't.

"Kung Fu Panda" Blu-Ray. All audio glitches (HDMI LPCM output) appear to have been corrected. No clicks, pops, or stutters. No echo or out of phase errors. This is true both when playing the main feature track and when playing the filmmaker's commentary track.

This is a significant improvement!

"Sleeping Beauty" SD-DVD (the one that comes with the Blu-Ray):

The Main Menu is not stable for the first couple seconds after going to it. To see this most easily, go in and out of the Set Up sub menu a few times. The error is likely the same as what's affecting Avia Pro SD-DVD.

The Set Up menu itself is stable. I suspect the difference is that the Main Menu is animated.

This is with HDMI YCbCr 4:4:4 Source Direct 480i/59.94 video and HDMI LPCM audio.

There are some more subtle instabilities going on during the storybook intro. These appear to be related to whether my D2 sees video or film mode on the incoming 480i when the image stops moving after a page turn. This is with the English subtitles turned on.

A repeatable example of this instability is at time code 5:02 at the start of Chapter 4. My D2 sees that chapter change as video mode, switching back to film mode at time code 5:10.

The instability remains even if the subtitles are turned off.

This is new. I haven't seen this instability in previous firmware versions.

On the positive side, using Stop and Play repeatedly (along with Chapter Back as necessary to keep things near the beginning of Chapter 4) the HDMI transition between Source Direct 1080p/59.94 for the Oppo splash screen and Source Direct 480i/59.94 for the feature appears to be working without a hitch now.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Sleeping Beauty" Blu-Ray. The disc decided a BD-Live update was needed. It downloaded without any problem. I don't know if this is actually a new update or if the firmware install invalidated the previously downloaded BD-Live update for this disc.

Attempting to log in to my already existing Disney BD-Live account results in the message "Index: 0, Size: 0" on the screen. This is probably just the Disney site screwing up, but I suppose it could also be a Java bug in the player firmware.

The feature itself plays without problems.

Stopping the disc and restarting it made it possible to log in to BD-Live without problem.

--Bob

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,421 Posts
The AVS HD 709 discs are working again, both the AVCHD and HDMV (which used to be called BDMV) versions. Now up to version 1.2b. Lots of new screens for people with meters, about the same for those of us with mere eyeballs.

-Bill

·
Registered
13,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/15584759

"Kung Fu Panda" Blu-Ray. All audio glitches (HDMI LPCM output) appear to have been corrected. No clicks, pops, or stutters. No echo or out of phase errors. This is true both when playing the main feature track and when playing the filmmaker's commentary track.

This is a significant improvement!

Glad to hear it (pardon the pun)!

I assume this will have fixed the echo issue I had with Death Race as well.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,242 Posts
I upgraded with no problems using the network. No problems.

I played Kung Fu Panda.

The handshaking is pretty good, just like the quick test version.

Once the movie starts, there are a handshakes and I get a stable picture.

Since my setup includes the Onkyo Pro 885 connected to a Lumagen Radiance XE, I am not sure which part is causing the delays. I suspect the 885 is a finicky component.

As reported, Open does not open on power-up. Since this is the slowest part of playing a movie, I think we all miss it

More testing tomorrow night after the Playoffs.

- Rich

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
Still seeing frequent AR errors with 4:3 DVDs. Seems to be more common when 24p is engaged. In 24p, even stopping and restarting the DVD will result in the player "forgetting" that it's a 4:3 image.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,242 Posts
I started to play Sleeping Beauty and I was asked to update the software for BD-Live. I said no. What would this have done?

The menu is blocked so I have to skip each preview. Is that correct?

Do other Blu-Ray players also block the menu. It definitely sounds like the Disney (evil) empire.

- Rich

·
Read the FAQ!
36,026 Posts
The "update" downloads the Java program containing the user interface front end for the Disney BD-Live web site. You can download it whenever you want to try the BD-Live stuff (it won't let you proceed with BD-Live until your download it).

However the Disney BD-Live stuff is astoundingly lame right now so I wouldn't bother. Try BD-Live from another disc such as Kung Fu Panda where there is at least some fun content to download and view after getting to the producer's BD-Live site.

-----------------------------------

On "Sleeping Beauty" Blu-Ray you can get to the menus at any point AFTER the very first Disney Blu-Ray puff piece finishes. And you can get past that one with Chapter Forward. So start the disc, hit Chapter Forward while that "Here we go!" section is playing, and then hit Top Menu to get to the main menu.

--Bob

1 - 20 of 68 Posts