AVS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthommo  /t/1476524/firmware-update-bricked-my-yamaha-rx-a2020#post_23557703

I still subscribe that the firmware update process is flawed, if the NVRAM is faulty it should pick that up as part of the pre flash diagnostic check before any new firmware writing occurs. It could do a no destructive read of flash and also do a write test, if there is no room to store a copy of firmware to do write test then that proves my case that it is a bad engineering design as there should always be a staging area as part of an update process for new version and failback.

Your receiver doesn't use non-volatile RAM, it uses flash memory as I said before. Programming flash memory is the slowest part of firmware update. Doing that write test would double the time it takes to do update, a long enough process already. It would also wear out the flash that much more quickly and only increase the chance of it failing prematurely. Any device that did what you proposed would be badly designed.

In any case, your receiver does have fallback option for restoring the firmware when the normal network or USB methods fail. The instructions you were told to follow is that fallback method and is not the normal method for installing the firmware using USB. Why it failed I don't know. It could be "bad engineering design" as you're so quick to assume, but it's not because they didn't make allowances for the firmware update failing. Since the fallback method has successfully restored the firmware for a number of people here with "bricked" receivers, I suspect what make your case and the original poster's case different is some sort of hardware failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Someone knows that electronic components can be changed to resolve this issue. notify.
My case is similar. and I think there is no solution, after having tried everything. The warranty does not apply to me.
:mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here.. I am out of warranty.. USB update seemed to take.. Then all of a sudden.. The 2020 is searching for a USB Update and goes to Device error ? Local Yamaha service center said it's probable the mother board ... They said they disconnect the USB board and it worked fine in the shop for 4 days.. Took it home today.. Hooked it up.. Device error... Help..

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old posting but Yamaha network problems persist. My HTR 7065AV receiver still has the original rev.1.64 firmware and the internet radio still works but fails to detect the new rev1.96 firm wear through my network connection. The HTR 7065 shows up on network system properties and the internet radio does work. Yamaha advised me to use the USB port to upgrade the firmware. I checked around with the Yamaha Warranty Service Centers in the 94112 area and they advised me NOT to update the firmware due to bugs and hardware issues compatibility with the HTR 7075. The Warranty Service Center says different chips were used throughout production and not all are firmware compatible. I'm not having any issues or problems with the unit but disappointing that firmware updates are not trustworthy. These means the decoders can't be reliably updated without risking bricking the HTR 7065.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old posting but Yamaha network problems persist. My HTR 7065AV receiver still has the original rev.1.64 firmware and the internet radio still works but fails to detect the new rev1.96 firm wear through my network connection. The HTR 7065 shows up on network system properties and the internet radio does work. Yamaha advised me to use the USB port to upgrade the firmware. I checked around with the Yamaha Warranty Service Centers in the 94112 area and they advised me NOT to update the firmware due to bugs and hardware issues compatibility with the HTR 7075. The Warranty Service Center says different chips were used throughout production and not all are firmware compatible. I'm not having any issues or problems with the unit but disappointing that firmware updates are not trustworthy. These means the decoders can't be reliably updated without risking bricking the HTR 7065.
typo error..it is the HTR 7065 I am referring to.

·
Registered
586 Posts
hi all

interesting topic; i have an old yamaha V4xx series that works fine; but reading about new yamaha models 2017/2018 ....i confirmed that even today the FW update process still has issues; the problem was never solved by yamaha :eek:
just the other day @Peter van der Waal killed his unit that he never even used...and it was top of the line !

21 - 30 of 30 Posts