AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to try updating my RS40 to 1.8. I'm somewhat computer literate but the last time I updated it seems I remember having some problems with the instructions published by JVC on their website. Does anyone have some hints on interpreting the instructions and coming through with a good clean install? Due to the delicate nature of these projectors I am a little nervous about proceeding.

·
Premium Member
24,811 Posts
This was very helpful from from another thread:

2. Make sure you know what COM port your adapter is using; you'll need to know this for the first part of the update. You can see this by expanding the entry under Control Panel > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT). Mine was COM4 FWIW.

3. Make sure the baud rate that the first firmware update program uses (57600 specified by JVC) and the baud rate specified by your adapter's settings match. Again, go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT), expand the tree, right-click on your device, click "Properties," click the "Port Settings" tab, then select 57600 from the "Bits per second" drop down (thanks Seegs!).

4. Don't forget to install the drivers for your adapter!

Not sure I'm remembering this exactly, but one glitch that threw me for a loop was a step where you choose a cryptic number per the instructions and it didn't seem to work, but when exiting the popup form it had actually worked.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz  /t/1520601/firmware-update-for-jvc-projectors#post_24431182

This was very helpful from from another thread:

2. Make sure you know what COM port your adapter is using; you'll need to know this for the first part of the update. You can see this by expanding the entry under Control Panel > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT). Mine was COM4 FWIW.

3. Make sure the baud rate that the first firmware update program uses (57600 specified by JVC) and the baud rate specified by your adapter's settings match. Again, go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT), expand the tree, right-click on your device, click "Properties," click the "Port Settings" tab, then select 57600 from the "Bits per second" drop down (thanks Seegs!).

4. Don't forget to install the drivers for your adapter!

Not sure I'm remembering this exactly, but one glitch that threw me for a loop was a step where you choose a cryptic number per the instructions and it didn't seem to work, but when exiting the popup form it had actually worked.

I'm a little confused here. I am connecting the RS40 to the PC using USB. As far as I know there is no connection, literally not physically, between USB and a COM port. Also, I don't remember the cryptic number situation either from my memory of doing this before or from the instructions.

·
Premium Member
24,811 Posts
I'm not savvy/patient enough to remember/give the details, but an adapter "converts" a USB port to what looks like an RS232/com port.

This was discussed a lot recently because the new models needed f/w update, searching should quickly turn up a lot of info.

·
Registered
31,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB  /t/1520601/firmware-update-for-jvc-projectors#post_24429176

I am about to try updating my RS40 to 1.8. I'm somewhat computer literate but the last time I updated it seems I remember having some problems with the instructions published by JVC on their website. Does anyone have some hints on interpreting the instructions and coming through with a good clean install? Due to the delicate nature of these projectors I am a little nervous about proceeding.

The install instructions on JVC's site are correct.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am awaiting delivery of a new DLA-X700. I plan to connect a Cambridge Audio DVD player, TiVo Roameo and an HTPC through a Sony receiver into HDMI 1 on the projector. Will it be necessary to upgrade the firmware in this configuration? What exactly does this firmware resolve?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
If you just received the projector, it probably will have the most recent firmware. the firmware fixes glitches in the HDMI switching or the projector's reaction to changes in the resolution being transmitted to the projector. something like that.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks Mark. I'll verify the release level when I get the X700. If it is an old version of firmware, I'll leave everything alone if there is no problem with my setup. Unfortunately I don't have a laptop, only a heavy desktop, which makes the upgrade a real effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts