AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had Xfinity X1 installed so I connected my 3 year old Harmony 900 via USB into my PC, planning to update / improve my macros. As soon as I logged in, I saw a message saying the Harmony's firmware was out of date so naturally I clicked to update the firmware. Well, it failed at 95% and to make a long story short, my remote is bricked.

I went to google and spent several hours troubleshooting and trying different things to revive it. No luck. Called Logitech support the next day and went through all the same procedures I did on my own. No luck and they can't replace since its out of warranty. I asked to be escalated to management, my argument was they should replace / fix my remote since their recommended firmware update was clearly the cause of my dead remote. Escalated a few times and still no luck. They will not help me.

Now my question is: What is a good replacement for the 900? Actually the 900 may have been overkill since I only have 5 devices. I want the ability to have macros and my biggest requirement is RF since my gear is in a closet.

I would rather not give Logitech any more business.

I was considering using an ipad but seems like there are many drawbacks, ie wifi goes to sleep, ipad locks, opening or switching apps, etc...

Is there any clean way to get a Harmony 650 or 880 to control devices in a closet?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Realize the 900 is one of the few Harmony's that can't actually do macros (except activities), so previous and subsequent models are far better in that respect, with 25 step sequences versus zero steps on a 900.

You could use an IR repeater to control stuff out of sight with an IR remote, but you'd still have to aim at the repeater. Logitech makes one, or there are cheap ones like power-mid, leap frog and others. Ebay has lots of cheap no-name ones that work fine.

The best bang for your buck non-Harmony option is the Xsight Touch, IMO. Currently discontinued like your 900, but very cheap on ebay. You could probably find remote and RF base with 6 blasters for under $100 total. I have several Xsights and love them. They are far better than the 900 in most respects. The only drawback is they don't do state tracking. But I've never needed that myself since most of my devices have discretes or easy workarounds. They have far better programming and macro capabilities, with completely customizable macro steps, hold durations, etc. You can even import Harmony icons for your favorites buttons.

The Harmony Smart Control is RF and only $100 as well, but does rely on a phone or tablet for some control. Touch, Ultimate One, and Ultimate are also RF. The RF base is optional for the Touch and Ultimate One, but included with the Ultimate.

URC makes several excellent RF remotes. They can be pricey, and the software can be difficult to find.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Does the Xsight Touch transmit IR and RF like the harmony 900? Or will I have to place one of the blasters outside my closet for the TV?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida  /t/1526432/firmware-update-killed-my-harmony-900/0_100#post_24587310

Thanks for the reply. Does the Xsight Touch transmit IR and RF like the harmony 900? Or will I have to place one of the blasters outside my closet for the TV?
Yes, IR and RF direct from the remote. I forgot to mention, the IR ports are not addressable/assignable, in other words, all blasters shoot the same signals to all devices. Not a problem unless you have identical devices in your rack, like 2 or more of the same model cable box, for example. DirecTV boxes are addressable, so that's no problem. One other bonus is the Xsight RF works directly from the remote with the HR2x series of DirecTV DVR's, no IR blaster required.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1526432/firmware-update-killed-my-harmony-900#post_24588339

Yes, IR and RF direct from the remote. I forgot to mention, the IR ports are not addressable/assignable, in other words, all blasters shoot the same signals to all devices. Not a problem unless you have identical devices in your rack, like 2 or more of the same model cable box, for example. DirecTV boxes are addressable, so that's no problem. One other bonus is the Xsight RF works directly from the remote with the HR2x series of DirecTV DVR's, no IR blaster required.

I will check out the Xsight. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts