AVS Forum banner

5581 - 5584 of 5584 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I used to have a link in my sig to an ISO I made with the 805/875 firmware and software to update it. Looks like the forum has had a makeover and the sigs are all gone. If anyone needs that ISO, I still have it and can host it: http://www.goodboy.mygamesite.net/xx5_Onkyo_UpdatesISO.zip LOL, my own malwarebytes browser guard blocks it, likely because I have never bothered to install a cert and enable https. It's safe.

I barely remember how to do it. If your main updater version was v1.01 or later, no jig was needed just the resistor thing. Schematics for that are included. A document with all of the directions is included. You will also need a usb to serial adapter, these are cheap and easy to find on Amazon for less than $10.

If there is anything newer earlier in the thread, disregard. Just came across an old saved shortcut so thought I would pop-in. I made a jig (maybe 2?) with some donations from forum members, and shipped it off to someone ages ago. The idea was to just keep passing it on to others as needed. Whatever happened to it? lol I think I sent out a few of the little resistor things as well for people on main updater 1.01 or later in which case the jig wasn't needed.

As for my 875, still using it. I have a 4k tv, just have that directly connected to the Xbox X, and use optical out to the Onkyo. When I got this receiver, I also got a cooling fan mount that sits on top and comes on when the 875 is powered on. Hopefully it has helped extend the life.
Wow - Tspeer - Blast from the Past and the dongle/jig club (brotherhood of the travelling dongle?)! I'm pretty sure I MIGHT still have one dongle around somewhere along with the update CD and the DTS-MA bomb patch CD. I had 10 of those things I made using FFC and they all disappeared over time. Sadly my 805 is no longer in service (though I still have it). The center channel went out on me. I upgraded to a Denon X4000 which I had for over 6 years and only just recently upgraded to a Denon X3600 so I could pass HDR thru as well as hirez audio.

As I recall, if you had MainUpdate 1.00 you needed a jig or dongle. 1.01 you didn't

PS - I've still got the ISO shared on my Google Drive as well if anyone needs an alternate location to download from.

Reactions: Tspeer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just inherited what must be a very early DTR-7.8 (pre June 2007 it seems since it even came with RC-688M remote instead of the RC-691M shown in the owner and service manuals). It does have the 1.00/07502L loader firmware. Does @jasonvr or anyone else still have the hardware needed should I decide to to upgrade the loader in order to upgrade all the other firmware?

I don't know yet if I'll even care about whatever the flaws are the various firmwares were meant to fix. The unit will only be used to play Blu-ray/DVD from currently a basic Sony player to an old Samsung 720p plasma, and I'm using 5.1 setup from PSB Century series (except the sub, which is just a basic active unit). I understand there may be some lag issues and perhaps issues with some of the better audio formats but haven't had time to learn exactly what those are and any potential workarounds aside from firmware upgrade if they are serious enough.

I realize I'm a newb here though I thought I had registered eons ago and the forum claims my normal username was already taken yet it is not found when I search in the member list.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The DTR-7.8 is I believe firmware compatible to the 805. See my signature (updated on 4-19-2021) for the download to the zip file that contains the firmware and the instructions. The incorrectly named SR875 folders under the TX-SR805 folders, it is in fact the firmware for the 805 so don't let that bother you. You need Microsoft word to open the simplified directions I wrote.

The DTS firmware is a wav file that you burn to CD as an audio track, then play to the Receiver unit from a cd/dvd player through the optical input. I forget all of the details but that should be easy enough to try and works independent of your 1.00 loader firmware. The DTS fixed some occasional cracking/popping iirc. I don't know that it added any new audio format processing, but could have. That firmware is in the TX-SR875 folder but is compatible to the 805, it wasn't duplicated it in multiple folders to save on bandwidth and space back in 2008.

There is even an HDMI firmware update, it was in a zip file in the zipped folder, and works on all listed units to update them to 1.02.

From the sounds of your setup, if you are not having any issues, you may not need to worry about it. If you have a local authorized Onkyo service center, probably worth having them perform all of the firmware updates, since being at 1.00 you will need the jig for the update. Not sure it would be worth shipping it off, which is where these firmware files+jig we have come in. Chances are there is newer firmware than what we have.

Instructions include the steps on how to view your current firmware versions including the DSP firmware.

Disclaimer: Not 100% sure that the flash software will run on windows 10, but it probably will.

I know I have one of the dongles someplace, just no idea where. Maybe even the full jig. jasonvr thinks they work interchangably and if so, the dongle is very small and simple. If you have a laptop and get a usb-to-serial adapter, it is fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had downloaded your zip before I posted and looked through it. Hence why I was asking if anyone still had the hardware needed since you had provided the files I needed. I can run Win 7 or XP if needed.

The closest centers are about 3.5 hours away though I could call and see if they have any newer firmware or even still work on units this old.

5581 - 5584 of 5584 Posts