AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 5040 for about a month now - and, other than the occasional CA hiccup or odd stutter, etc, I haven't had a lick of trouble - until last Thursday; I attempted to record the Macy's TG day parade (someone we knew was marching in it). About 2.5 hours into the 3 hour recording, we started watching it - as soon as the recording stopped, the unit froze the picture and wouldn't let me navigate in that program anymore. Any attempts to watch that recording caused a lock up (or so I thought). Other shows played just fine - and recording still worked.

Later on, I tried to watch another show, and got the same lock up - this time I let it sit - after about 5 minutes the program started to play, but it was missing the first 15 minutes.

Now, several days later - I have found that it happens on about one show a day. I am thinking that my drive has a problem - and every time I delete the offending show, that part is free'd to strike again.

This problem shows up as an apparent lock up after selecting "play" on a recorded program. The unit will still power on and off - but it won't respond to any other commands from the remote. After a while (for me, 5 minutes), the program will start playing and a portion of the beginning of the program is missing.

Anyone else see this? Anyone know how to get it to break out of the lock up without unplugging it?

Another thing - last night I experienced my first "verified everything was ok" 1 minute recording - I watched the show start, and then it just stopped recording - after it stopped recording, the program was still viewable on the RTV - just fine - cable was fine, connection was fine, picture and sound were just dandy. I'd say my "1 minute" recording occurrence is about 1 in 100 shows.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same problem with the lock up. I have a 4504, and all I was doing was just flipping through the channels. Then all of a sudden, the ReplayTV screen came up, and then the power light flashing on and off. No matter what i press on the remote, the unit did not respond. After a couple of mins the unit came back online. When this happened, there was no recording going on, or anyone that's about to start.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What you saw on the 4504 was a reboot. It may have been one of the infamous "scheduled reboots" or maybe for another reason. But it is a different problem from the one described by seekins on the 5040.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have seen the same issue with my 5040. Twice now. Both times recording a football game on High, chose the game and padded 60 minutes to the ending. When we went to watch it the machine hung completely. I waited for about 5 minutes and gave up and rebooted it. Very next weekend, I did the same recording and padded the ending the same. This time I wouldn't give up. I clicked on it to play and it hung. But I waited and waited and it finally came up, but close to 15 minutes into the recording. I was able to watch the rest, but that 15 minutes was gone. I tried recording another show at High, but no problem. I am going to try some show and pad it 60 minutes to see if that helps reproduce it.

I couldn't belive it when I read the first post in this thread, I thought it only happened to me!!

Bill

·
Registered
283 Posts
Happens to my 5040 also in HQ. First time I made matters worse by assuming unit was hung, and after about 5 minutes of staring at the non-changing screen, did a hard reset. Second time it happened, I had by then found "243Zones" (gotta love this forum) and saw all the neat toggles. Turning the position meter on, I noticed the Replay counting up in the bitstream, so I waited. ~15 minutes into the recording, it started playing.

Don't know of SB is aware of problem or not. Would really be nice to have this fixed in the next S/W update...

-Joe

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm starting to piece a few things to together here:

The missing part is about 15 minutes for 1 hour recordings. Tonight I played a two hour recording and the missing piece was 29 minutes. I have yet to see this happen on a recording that is 30 minutes. I currently have 3 recordings on my disc that have this problem, so it doesn't seem to be a bad part of the disc.

This is really getting annoying... I'm afraid I just can't trust this thing anymore... *sigh* I guess I will sit on hold for 3 hours to get told to reset my unit back to the defaults and change to the other input.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had no issues with other HQ recordings. Only the one's that were 3 hours + 1 hour of padding to the end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.