AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I keep the cell/panel light, contrast , brightness, etc all turned down during the break in period? Im breaking in my plasma by watching movies and tv shows from netflix that are full screen with no logos. And if so why? Or why not? Im very confused on the whole break in plasma thing. And very curious. Thanks for all the help!

Im currently

Cell light 10. 0-20

Contrast 50. 0-100

Brightness 45. 0-100

Sharpness 50. 0-100

Everything else is set halfway

Dynamic contrast off

Black tone off

·
Registered
16 Posts

Does not matter really.. a white screen will break in perfectly evenly and thats what you want, more light will speed the process a little faster for sure

--peteswede

·
Registered
11,773 Posts
Watching mixed content works just as well just keep settings conservative

Reactions: gus738

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I just left my Sammie plasma on continuously for about 10 days just various programs from Dish SAT (no News or ESPN stationary logos for prolonged times during break in) a year ago , It still works fine I did not use the PS3 until the break in was done however.

I'm no expert about Plasma break in or even for sure if it helps or not but that worked for me .

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon  /t/1521626/first-200-hours-of-a-plasma-tvs-life-help#post_24457681

Watching mixed content works just as well just keep settings conservative
Ok so my settings should be ok. Might beable to turn them up a bit? Whatcha think?

·
Registered
11,773 Posts
I would say yes you can turn up a bit

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Ive played resogun on ps4 a couple times for about 10 minutes long. No sign of image retention at all. But im still very catious watching movies full screen and what not. I have almost 50 hours so far

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Just don't play the PS3 for like 4 hours at a time at first that'a all if the game has fixed icons or banners if not it's cool ,Contrary to what many say Plasma can be great for gaming . Temporary image retention can happen even after break in usually goes away just watching TV most of the time anyway .

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister  /t/1521626/first-200-hours-of-a-plasma-tvs-life-help#post_24457977

Just don't play the PS3 for like 4 hours at a time at first that'a all if the game has fixed icons or banners if not it's cool ,Contrary to what many say Plasma can be great for gaming . Temporary image retention can happen even after break in usually goes away just watching TV most of the time anyway .
Thank you! I usually only play for an hour at a time when i had an lcd. Wife and kids demand tv time too! Haha

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

Quote:
Wife and kids demand tv time too! Haha

5 sets in da house my problem is solved .

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister  /t/1521626/first-200-hours-of-a-plasma-tvs-life-help#post_24458235

5 sets in da house my problem is solved .
I hear ya! I just moved the plasma into my bedroom . Picked up an led for the livng room literally an hour ago. 46 in. Samsung un46fh6030. Nice tv. But not as nice as the plasma.
kids have tvs in there rooms.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Anyone else notice plasmas are incredibly bright in the first 250 hours? I have a feeling brightness and black level drop symmetrically as time goes on but I don't have any data to back that up

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300  /t/1521626/first-200-hours-of-a-plasma-tvs-life-help#post_24458266

I hear ya! I just moved the plasma into my bedroom . Picked up an led for the living room literally an hour ago. 46 in. Samsung un46fh6030. Nice tv. But not as nice as the plasma.
kids have tvs in there rooms.

I just bought a Sony KDL 40R450 A 40" for my bedroom (bright room ) about about 2 wks ago,found a new one on line at a decent price B.B was out of them and the Toshiba I was also thinking about . No room for 60" Sammie plasma in there it was a passing thought to move it in there though but the Sony's decent all in all .

I almost bought another Sammie that's actually the one I went to get because I knew BB didn't have the Sony or Toshiba I was thinking about either .

I was looking at the UN 40EH 5300/5500 series but couldn't find one locally with the better panel version(Samsung SPVA) like they had a few months ago at BB the difference was obvious to me anyway . Wouldn't you know it the Sony has a Samsung SPVA panel in it. so I got half a Samsung anyway or half a Sony depending how you look at it . congrats on the new set!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister  /t/1521626/first-200-hours-of-a-plasma-tvs-life-help#post_24460328

I just bought a Sony KDL 40R450 A 40" for my bedroom (bright room ) about about 2 wks ago,found a new one on line at a decent price B.B was out of them and the Toshiba I was also thinking about . No room for 60" Sammie plasma in there it was a passing thought to move it in there though but the Sony's decent all in all .

I almost bought another Sammie that's actually the one I went to get because I knew BB didn't have the Sony or Toshiba I was thinking about either .

I was looking at the UN 40EH 5300/5500 series but couldn't find one locally with the better panel version(Samsung SPVA) like they had a few months ago at BB the difference was obvious to me anyway . Wouldn't you know it the Sony has a Samsung SPVA panel in it. so I got half a Samsung anyway or half a Sony depending how you look at it . congrats on the new set!
That sony is a very nice set!

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
just to contribute another opinion/experience

I 'calibrate' my TV's with a setup disc when I get them home. try not to do anything too stupid with them(ie no scope movie marathons, and 4hr web browsing sessions) and that's really it. if I want to be overly cautious i'll run the break in slides at night when I'm not using the tv for a week or so, although I seriously question how much an extra 30hrs of that really helps. by the 2nd or 3rd week I'm usually too annoyed to continue with break in slides, and I start being less cautious about what I watch.

my gut tells me I'm being more cautious than I need to be. I haven't had any issues with my plasmas. a little care goes a long way in preventing IR, but you don't have to 'cripple' your viewing experience by turning down brightness/contrast(at least you don't have to turn them down below calibrated levels) or anything like that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1521626/first-200-hours-of-a-plasma-tvs-life-help#post_24552232

just to contribute another opinion/experience

I 'calibrate' my TV's with a setup disc when I get them home. try not to do anything too stupid with them(ie no scope movie marathons, and 4hr web browsing sessions) and that's really it. if I want to be overly cautious i'll run the break in slides at night when I'm not using the tv for a week or so, although I seriously question how much an extra 30hrs of that really helps. by the 2nd or 3rd week I'm usually too annoyed to continue with break in slides, and I start being less cautious about what I watch.

my gut tells me I'm being more cautious than I need to be. I haven't had any issues with my plasmas. a little care goes a long way in preventing IR, but you don't have to 'cripple' your viewing experience by turning down brightness/contrast(at least you don't have to turn them down below calibrated levels) or anything like that.
I totally understand. I turned up the cell light and contrast just recently to 13 and 65. Just about right for my dark room. I play games for an hour or so and no sign of image retention. Tv is a month old tomorrow. Probably 200 hours or so. I was paranoid at first now im just enjoying the tv with care.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Wow, perhaps those settings are better for video games and computers which demand a lot of contrast. I use cable and don't have mine that low. I recently exchanged my Panasonic UT50 under warranty for this Samsung model.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts