AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a complete newbie setting up first home theater system. Just got my projector and screen, now i need to add speakers and AVR and the more i read the less i know...

I would like to spend approx $1500 for 5.1 speaker system and AVR.

Room is approx 25m2 (270 ft2) linked with kitchen. Height is about 260cm (8.5ft).

Because of the height of the room and the fact that screen will go very low tower speakers wont fit so im thinking about something compact.

Here are my ideas for the speakers:

- KEF e305
- HKTS 60

AVRs:

- HK 1710
- Onkyo TX-NR636 - i like it because of wifi and dolby atmos for future expansion but not sure how sound quality will be vs HK.

Couch will be on the wall 3.90m (drzwi mean door :)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
so instead of 2 towers and 2 bookshelf just grab 4 bookshelfs?
With bookshelves, you can net better sound quality for the money - if you have a capable subwoofer. Towers add cost because of the larger cabinet and added "bass" drivers which will become generally unnecessary if you have a capable subwoofer. However, bookshelves need stands or wall mounts. A decent pair of stands will run about $140/pair (set of 2): If you are unable to wall mount the fronts or surrounds, you will need two pair which totals about $280.

Depending on the price of the bookshelf and tower (based on your budget) towers could be more logical -

For Example: The Andrew Jones designed Pioneer series speakers bookshelves are $129/pair (x2) and the towers are $129 a piece (x1) MSRP.

price of the bookshelves plus decent pair of stands: $129 plus $140 = $270
price of towers = $260

Now you could get cheap speaker stands for less money, but a sturdy speaker stands are very beneficial.

It's you're job to figure out what you are looking for in a Home Theater. I personally would rather the bulk of the budget be put toward a VERY capable subwoofer.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
You can get decent stands for around $50 pair. Why put $60 speakers on a $70 stand. That's silly.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
You can get decent stands for around $50 pair. Why put $60 speakers on a $70 stand. That's silly.
Please post a link for these stands! Actually being series. I need some decent stands!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Please post a link for these stands! Actually being series. I need some decent stands!

I just recently bought Pangea LS200 stands on Amazon. The 24" are $66.66 and the 36" are $88.88 all metal construction which I wanted (I think the cheaper Sanus stands are wood and some people crack them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts