AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just performed my first AVIA calibration last night on my Hitachi HDPJ52 projector after having owned it almost a year.

I wish I had done it earlier.

First, the colors were dead on and barely needed to be touched. This made me feel pretty good about this projector. Grayscale was almost as good and needed some minor touch-ups.

However, contrast and brightness were way off. After properly setting these, I noticed a much improved picture. Blacks were blacker with no hit to shadow detail. Contrast was better and the picture was overall much more three dimensional. That very slight SDE that I complained about a few posts ago is now gone.

I watched the Illusionist last night. The Iris was closed down to 0. The picture jumped off the screen. My wife, who hadn't been informed of my tinkering, commented on how good the picture looked.

I thought that calibration was a piece of cake until I tried to calibrate my 50" LCD TV, which was so off in every way and, I think, ultimately uncorrectible.

I had been growing restless with this projector but now really question the need to upgrade in the near future. I think the RS1 will have to wait a while.

·
Banned
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/0

I just performed my first AVIA calibration last night on my Hitachi HDPJ52 projector after having owned it almost a year.

I wish I had done it earlier.

First, the colors were dead on and barely needed to be touched. This made me feel pretty good about this projector. Grayscale was almost as good and needed some minor touch-ups.

However, contrast and brightness were way off. After properly setting these, I noticed a much improved picture. Blacks were blacker with no hit to shadow detail. Contrast was better and the picture was overall much more three dimensional. That very slight SDE that I complained about a few posts ago is now gone.

I watched the Illusionist last night. The Iris was closed down to 0. The picture jumped off the screen. My wife, who hadn't been informed of my tinkering, commented on how good the picture looked.

I thought that calibration was a piece of cake until I tried to calibrate my 50" LCD TV, which was so off in every way and, I think, ultimately uncorrectible.

I had been growing restless with this projector but now really question the need to upgrade in the near future. I think the RS1 will have to wait a while.

I'm so glad it went well for you! Actually most displays can see drastic improvement with the type of calibration you did with AVIA(as with Digital Video Essentials or Getgray). I think that (reputable) manufacturers are getting the point and are being more careful with service menu level stuff such as grayscale, gamma, and geometry.

Of course they are still going to ship the TVs to market in "buy me!!" mode - Cool2 color temp, Vivid mode, contrast maxed, etc. but at least the options are there to rope that wild steer in and deliver a picture with just the user settings that will allow viewers to become more emotionally involved with their material.

Now on the other issue at the end of your quote, can you share with us more details:

1. Brand & model of LCD TV.

2. Issues with picture as delivered.

3. Challenges when trying to calibrate it.

regardz,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.