AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I'm new to the forum and am looking to put together my first home theater system. I just purchased the Pioneer BS-41 bookshelfs and the C-21 center on discount from newegg. I will likely add a sub after some more research but will likely hold off on any surrounds until I have more space (currently in an undersized NYC apartment).

I am torn on which receiver to pair with the speakers and would love to hear some thoughts from those of you with experience. I've been looking at the Denon AVR-1612 ($200 shipped from Amazon) and some of the other similarly priced refurb units on accessories4less (Onkyo TX-NR609, Onkyo TX-SR608 and Denon AVR-1912 mainly) which are all within $50-$130 more. Also open to any other recommendations of units, ideally in the $200-$350 price range.

In terms of use, my current components that will need to be connected are a cable box, PS3, roku (all via hdmi) and an older turntable (via preamp -> RCA). I also use my PC via hdmi from time to time and may add an Apple TV or Airport Express to enable streaming from my iPhone/iPad (in place of the direct USB connection option on the 1612).

Any clear reasons to purchase the more expensive refurb units given my uses and budget speaker setup? My plan is to use this as a main room setup for the next few years and ultimately move it to my bedroom a few years down the road when I ideally have more space. Additionally, what gauge speaker wire would you recommend? Speakers are all in the front, so distance will be minimal.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!

Don't think I have a need for networking given that the PS3 / Roku handle all my media streaming needs currently. Any other benefits I'm missing (outside of the ability to push software updates to networked receivers)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts