AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say thanks for all of the great advice and info I've received over the years by reading about particular BDPs or TVs, but now it's time to get much more specific than just product reviews. As such, I found it was time to join the community.

I am looking to buy my first real AVR primarily for home theater but it will also double for household music. Currently I'm using a Logitech Z-5500. Please save the boos and hissing, I'm well aware of the lacking mid-range, boomy base, bad crossover range, etc, etc, etc. But they're the computer speakers I've had for over 10 years and are far superior to the even more tinny sounding speakers built into LED TVs. With my current set up I'm not sure how I ought to proceed and was hoping for some advice.

Thoughts on how to build:

1. My first thought was to start swapping out my satellites for better speakers, then when I have some more cash, buy a receiver and sub and have my system together. This would allow me to slowly acquire my set up as funds allow while retaining existing or better sound than I have now.

2. Buy and AVR and some decent and affordable floor standing & center speakers and use those as my primary speakers while forfeiting my sub and surround capability, but increasing my sound quality for mid/high range.

3. Buy nothing and continue to save my money until I have about $1400 to drop and then just buy it all at once.

Dilemmas:

1. With the evolution of 4k, should I continue to use the Logitech system for another year or two so the AVR I buy will be in the same price range I'm looking now ($300-500), but be able to upscale rather than just pass through. I don't have a 4k TV, but I have a feeling I likely will in the next 2-3 years as the cost drops to what current LED prices are now, and when that happens I don't know that I want to spend more money to buy another AVR that soon.

2. With 4k, we also have the evolution of the new HDMI cables and specs, that said, in my price range I'll likely be in the same boat as I will be with the 4k analogy above, buying a new AVR to suit my needs in 2-3 years, which I'd like to avoid if I can.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to buy once cry once, but I also recognize price points. I don't want to pay 50% more for 10% more product/features. I also like to buy things that I figure I'll get a minimum of 8-10 years out of (which is becoming more and more difficult to do with technology advancing like it is). I never buy top of the line or the latest tech because I simply don't have the play money to be funding R/D for these companies. I typically buy last years models or at least last year's tech as that will give me a great performance price point. The AVR that I'm currently looking at is the Yamaha RX-V575, it can be had for $350 new on amazon or $300 refurbished, and of course it ships free with prime. From what I've gathered here and on other forums, it's closest competitor is the Denon X-2000, which is nearly double the price and only offers a few features and a different flavor.

Please feel free to give any advice, point out any misconceptions I have or to answer any/all of my concerns and thoughts/strategies to build. I'm an extremely experienced computer hardware/software tech, but an absolute noob when it comes to the AV world.

Also, I don't know how important this info is, but It will be paired with a Vizio M3D550KD TV, Samsung 3D BDP and will have a home theater PC and Xbox run through it. Again, this is my current setup, but I'm not necessarily trying to build only to this setup, but I want something that will be usable on my next setup as well, which will likely be 4k. You're also welcome to tell me that I'm completely over thinking this and should just shut up and buy something (over thinking is something I'm often guilty of).

Thanks for any/all help and advice!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

I swear I just heard Crickets chirping. Did anyone else hear that?! - I'm kidding.

I forgot to mention above, the floor speakers I'm thinking about adding would be the JBL ES80BK's on each side and the JBL ES25CBK center channel. I've not put much thought into my satellites at this point because as stated above, I'm thinking I'll have to buy my home theater system in stages.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to add those speakers to my list of considerations. As for the receiver, it's just outside the top end of my budget and it seems a little spendy for what appears to be comparable specs. The amazon page you linked doesn't have quite the same level of detail as the amazon page for the v575, but from the basic specs it appears to be a much more expensive version of the same thing. Same number of chanels, comparable wattage per channel, etc. Is the cost increase simply in the features? If so, what features does it offer that the 575 is lacking? What is it that my untrained eyes are missing?

·
Registered
7,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellm  /t/1526102/first-avr-help-needed#post_24575315

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to add those speakers to my list of considerations. As for the receiver, it's just outside the top end of my budget and it seems a little spendy for what appears to be comparable specs. The amazon page you linked doesn't have quite the same level of detail as the amazon page for the v575, but from the basic specs it appears to be a much more expensive version of the same thing. Same number of chanels, comparable wattage per channel, etc. Is the cost increase simply in the features? If so, what features does it offer that the 575 is lacking? What is it that my untrained eyes are missing?

From the website. The 7065 is the same as RXV773 without the bluetooth add-on. Original price for these are well above the price for the 575. It also has pre-outs if by any chance you want to add an amp in the future. Very few anymore in this price range give you that option. Well worth serious consideration for the money. Also comes with Yamaha's well known reputation for longevity and reliability.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Forgive my ignorance, but adding an amp would only be necessary if I purchased speakers that were too large for the built-in amp on the receiver, right? I've never built/put together a sound system before, I've always bought in box sets, that being the case, is there a rule of thumb to follow (i.e. the power the receiver puts out should be no less than 1/3 the peak power of the speaker)? The convenience of buying pre-built sets is knowing that it's synergistic and works well together, but everything I've read everywhere says you'll get better performance and a better price point if you design/build your own system... as long as you don't screw it up =P

·
Registered
7,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellm  /t/1526102/first-avr-help-needed#post_24576024

Forgive my ignorance, but adding an amp would only be necessary if I purchased speakers that were too large for the built-in amp on the receiver, right? I've never built/put together a sound system before, I've always bought in box sets, that being the case, is there a rule of thumb to follow (i.e. the power the receiver puts out should be no less than 1/3 the peak power of the speaker)? The convenience of buying pre-built sets is knowing that it's synergistic and works well together, but everything I've read everywhere says you'll get better performance and a better price point if you design/build your own system... as long as you don't screw it up =P

Correct. Also this AVR should be able to drive most speakers without a problem. But if you should buy speakers now or in the future that do require more power this AVR lets you add the amp if its needed. Some members here will not buy an AVR without pre-outs for that very reason. Don't allow your AVR purchase handcuff you on your choices for speakers in the future.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

That's good to know. With that being the case, is there a rule or measurement I should keep in mind when selecting speakers? For instance, the JBL floor standing speakers I mentioned are rated for 400 watt peak power and they list a range of 25-400 watts. Clearly the 80 watt output falls in that range, but will that have the same effect as a child's toy whose batteries are dying and it doesn't sound as it should or would will adequate power? Or would there be minimal or no discernible difference in the sound quality between 80 watts and 200 watts?

Trying to learn all of this quickly is like trying to drink from a fire hydrant. It's overwhelming, not very fun and leaves you dazed.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellm  /t/1526102/first-avr-help-needed#post_24576063

That's good to know. With that being the case, is there a rule or measurement I should keep in mind when selecting speakers? For instance, the JBL floor standing speakers I mentioned are rated for 400 watt peak power and they list a range of 25-400 watts. Clearly the 80 watt output falls in that range, but will that have the same effect as a child's toy whose batteries are dying and it doesn't sound as it should or would will adequate power? Or would there be minimal or no discernible difference in the sound quality between 80 watts and 200 watts?

Trying to learn all of this quickly is like trying to drink from a fire hydrant. It's overwhelming, not very fun and leaves you dazed.

No, the 25 watts is probably all or even more than you need. The 400 watt figure is the total amount of power the speaker can dissipate without destroying itself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I know this is a hot button item here (and other forums) but is there a perk to bi-amping? I noticed the speakers are set up for a bi-amp, the Yamaha is able to use the 2 rear channels to bi-amp the front mains, the Denon E400 that I saw someone else comparing to the v575 in another threat said it had multi-zone/multi-channel (which I'm assuming is the same thing that Yamaha refers to as zone B and Bi-amping). I doubt I'll be setting up in 7.1 due to the set up of our town home that we're in right now, but since we're renting, I wanted to make sure 7.1 was an option for the future. While I'm in 5.1 mode, is there any benefit or determent to setting up channels 6-7 into Bi-amp mode and running them into the front speakers?

·
Registered
7,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellm  /t/1526102/first-avr-help-needed#post_24576084

I know this is a hot button item here (and other forums) but is there a perk to bi-amping? I noticed the speakers are set up for a bi-amp, the Yamaha is able to use the 2 rear channels to bi-amp the front mains, the Denon E400 that I saw someone else comparing to the v575 in another threat said it had multi-zone/multi-channel (which I'm assuming is the same thing that Yamaha refers to as zone B and Bi-amping). I doubt I'll be setting up in 7.1 due to the set up of our town home that we're in right now, but since we're renting, I wanted to make sure 7.1 was an option for the future. While I'm in 5.1 mode, is there any benefit or determent to setting up channels 6-7 into Bi-amp mode and running them into the front speakers?

NO. None whatsoever. If it were a active bi-amp then possibly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

With that being the case, should I just bi-wire then (2 wires from the front channels to both sets of posts on the speakers)? Or will all of the drivers on the floorstanding speaker be powered if I only hook up to one of the sets of posts on the speaker?

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
Bi-wiring will not do anything either. Well it will cost twice as much to connect speakers. The speakers will have "jumpers" connected so just connect to one set of posts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So I think I'm going to take Phantom's recommendation on the receiver. I can get an open box for $399, hard to say no to that. Now it's on to the speakers. I'm selling one of my high end rifles tomorrow (which I justify as a savings in ammo costs) for $2250, I figure that will pay for my setup to start. Will that receiver have enough juice to power the JBL L890s? If not, should I look at a different set of speakers? I'm not a JBL fan boy, but I know that the ES80s have been highly regarded in their class and price range, likewise the L890s have been too. Thoughts, recommendations?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52  /t/1526102/first-avr-help-needed#post_24585941

That AVR will power those speakers. Sounds like you're starting up a nice setup.
I sure hope so... especially for that kind of dough. I decided to splurge on the SVS PB2000 as well. I'm really excited for it all to show up! Now all I have to do is decide whether I want the LC1 or LC2 center speaker. I keep seeing mixed reviews as to which one is better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts