AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to take the time to review this movie which is a french hd-dvd import.....the sound was terrible....the video was dark and kind of out of focus....not sharp at all. I wish i hadn't purchased this title because it seemed like a vhs transfer to dvd....bad.....

just my thougths

Velvet

·
Registered
876 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, First Blood will be an Blu-Ray exclusive from Liongates here in the States. I think you got the wrong forum.

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD /forum/post/0

Unless I am mistaken, First Blood will be an Blu-Ray exclusive from Liongates here in the States. I think you got the wrong forum.

It's on HD DVD in Europe. Actually all 3 Rambo movies are on HD DVD in Europe.

Correct forum.

To the OP... I think First Blood was shot with a really LOW budget. That may have something to do with it's look.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvethammer /forum/post/0

I would just like to take the time to review this movie which is a french hd-dvd import.....the sound was terrible....the video was dark and kind of out of focus....not sharp at all. I wish i hadn't purchased this title because it seemed like a vhs transfer to dvd....bad.....

just my thougths

Velvet

What you descibe is what has been descirbed many times here in this forum by various people who have purchased this release. I personally owned this release as well on HD-DVD and it was without a doubt the worst of all my HD-DVD viewing experiences. Luckily Exploited Cinema allowed me to return it. I have a pre-order in for the Blu-ray version on 2/6/07. I hope this one is better!!

~Josh

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let face it....it should not be sold as hd-dvd disk cause it is an insult to the format to offer that kind of quality when you are trying to sell the product....i feel sorry for the french hd-dvd owners if this is the product they get......boo...boo

Velvet

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Has anyone compared the D-Theater version to this one? I thought the D-Theater transfer looked pretty good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
damn I would like to see a pic of one Rambo 1. I have never seen a HD DVD look bad

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I just finished watching Rambo I on HDDVD ( Studio Canal release) for the third time.

The PQ is slightly better than the DVHS and far far superior to the SD DVD. The opening scene(s) are soft and even blurry...but by the time he is in the police station I find the PQ to be fine for HD.

The PQ is certainly not VHS or DVD quality. I would give it Tier 2-3.

The sound is a different story. The 50cal machine gun sounds strange...distancy...almost detached from the video. Also there is a 4% PAL audio speed up on the disk as a whole. If it wasn't pointed out to a viewer...you would probably miss it...but it is there.

Overall I am happy to have it since it is the best that is available at this time. Perhaps BR will provide a superior version.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am really interested in purchasing the Studio Canal version of Rambo First Blood. Can someone please post some pics from this version? I did examine the BD pics in the Blu Ray forum where they did an A/B comparision to SD. Now if I could only see the HD DVD screen shots. Also, how bad is the audio? Does Stallone sound like a chipmunk? Will I die from laughter hearing his voice or...is there a better way to explain the pitch difference?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm waiting for the franchise to be released with GERMANY's Dynamic HD extras, and hopefully better transfers/audio. Considering the other LGE releases coming out in the next few monthes, hopefully RAMBO I, II, III will eventually get announced.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I have it. I kinda noticed a slight *ghosting* or blurring issue, more noticeable when faces are moving around in a shot. Anyone else notice this?

Overall, pretty bad looking. Not a bad encode, probably just a bad HD master.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
The HDDVD looks much much better than the Blu Ray version. I have both sitting a few feet from me. The BD version has almost all of the natural grain filtered out and as a result it looks incredibly soft with a plastic look to it.

The HDDVD is grainy..as is natural with this film stock. It is also noticably sharper than the BD (believe it or not!).

The DVHS version was the worse version. It was/is a mess.

I do like the fact track on the BD version
Lots of fun facts.

·
Registered
619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky08016 /forum/post/9483957

It's on HD DVD in Europe. Actually all 3 Rambo movies are on HD DVD in Europe.

Correct forum.

To the OP... I think First Blood was shot with a really LOW budget. That may have something to do with it's look.

+1. Not sure what the budget was but if I remember right the film quality wasn't that great and many of the scenes were indeed dark.

·
Registered
535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 /forum/post/11976210

The HDDVD looks much much better than the Blu Ray version. I have both sitting a few feet from me. The BD version has almost all of the natural grain filtered out and as a result it looks incredibly soft with a plastic look to it.

The HDDVD is grainy..as is natural with this film stock. It is also noticably sharper than the BD (believe it or not!).

The DVHS version was the worse version. It was/is a mess.

I do like the fact track on the BD version
Lots of fun facts.

Thanks for this info, how do you feel about the audio? Does Stallone sound like a chipmunk, or...is there a better way to describe the altered pitch?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I noticed xploitedcinema now has the Australian import. Anyone know if this PQ is any better than the French version?

·
Registered
158 Posts
i asked tony about the aussie relase if there's any pitch problem. below is his reply:

hi!

those are exactly the same HDs themselves as the French, German and UK

releases. the only difference is the actual printing on the face of

the

HD-DVD. so...if the French HDs had a pitch problem then Australian

ones

would to.

let me know if you have other questions.

thanks!

tony

so i guess PQ/AQ is just the same.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emannikcufesin /forum/post/11984159

Thanks for this info, how do you feel about the audio? Does Stallone sound like a chipmunk, or...is there a better way to describe the altered pitch?

It is a slightly higher pitch...but not chipmunk. I can still watch it and enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.