AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about to start my first DIY project.

2 14 cuFT sonotube enclosures tuned to about 17hz with an 8 inch port. I will be using one 19Ov.2 in each enclosure. Most likely being powered by an ep2500.

My room is about 18 x 14 with cathedral ceilings about 17' tall at it's highest point. It is completely open to a rather large kitchen with the same ceiling height.

1) What do you guys think is the minimum sonotube diameter that can be used with an 18 inch driver and 8" port?

2) Should I be buying the D2 or D4?

3) How necessary is a subsonic filter? I can purchase the eQ2 from eD for the SSF, but I would much rather get a BFD, which I dont believe has a SSF.

4) I am not sure about placement yet. Maybe both up front, both in the back. one up front one in the back. So I may have phase issues. Can I set the phase for each sub individually with the ep2500?

Thanks for your help guys. I am returning an eD-350 so I will be receiving store credit from eD. So I am kind of limited to their drivers. I was also looking at their 13Av.2 drivers which I was liking because of the smaller footprint enclosures I would be able to build. They cost about $100 more each but I am not sure if they would give me enough output for my room.

This is for 75% HT, 25% music?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sort of got an answer for my phase question. According to eD, in order to get a variable phase control or each sub, I would either have to

1) have a receiver with 2 sub outs. My Onkyo 875 only has one, so thats not gonna work.

2) Purchase 2 eQ2s, one for each sub.

Does this sound right?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Depending on your eq, some have a time delay which can be changed for the L and/or R channels which really helps with two subs. A DEQ2496 is an example of one eq that does have that and it costs about the same as two eQ2's but does 100x more stuff! Plus it lets you adjust your output +-15db which can really help match up voltages when using an EP2500.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bear with me here, I am new to DIY. I have only had commercial sub. I have been running one sub with my Onkyo 875 and the distance setting for the sub, from what I understand pretty much takes care of the phase.

Now that I will be running two and they are not colocated, the sub distance will not help adjust for the phase, or will it?

Am I definitely going to need something to adjust the phase from the start or should I hold off and take measurements after completion.

I see alot people on this thread are running multiple subs, and never mention this issue. What if I reverse the wires on one of the subs?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get everything right the first time. I pretty much think I am ready to start building. My only other question is the minimum sonotube diameter I can use for this driver and port.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Grits /forum/post/14165946

Bear with me here, I am new to DIY. I have only had commercial sub. I have been running one sub with my Onkyo 875 and the distance setting for the sub, from what I understand pretty much takes care of the phase.

Now that I will be running two and they are not colocated, the sub distance will not help adjust for the phase, or will it?

It can, it just depends on sub locations and seating locations. You could use the receiver to set the distance for the closest sub, then use the eq to add to that distance for the farther sub.

For example sub one is 6ft from you and sub two is 9 ft from you. With the receiver set the distance at 6ft, then with your eq, on the channel going to sub two's amp, set that distance at 3ft.

Quote:

Am I definitely going to need something to adjust the phase from the start or should I hold off and take measurements after completion.

I like the idea of don't fix it till it's broke. Build your subs and take measurements. If you find out you need some eq and phase help, then buy a pre/pro.

Quote:

I see alot people on this thread are running multiple subs, and never mention this issue. What if I reverse the wires on one of the subs?

That sub will then be 180deg out of phase.

Quote:

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get everything right the first time. I pretty much think I am ready to start building. My only other question is the minimum sonotube diameter I can use for this driver and port.

The minimum is whatever is small enough to allow for the height of your tube. If the tube can only be 4ft high, you'll need one that's pretty big around. If you can do 8ft, the tube can be a lot smaller in dia.

For a port, 6" minimum, but 8" would be better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts