AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is my first htpc build. Before I start, I know I went overboard, i'm not going to lie like half of these other people on here and say something like "well I had these parts laying around." No, these parts I did not have laying around, they're all brand new, I knew I was going overboard, and i'm very, very happy with my selection so far.

I ended up with:

Processor: Intel i7 920 LGA1366
(with D0 spec, it will be overclocked)

Processor Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P (Heatpipe Cooler W/ 2XNH-P12 120MM Fan)

Socket compatibility Intel Socket LGA1366

Height (without fan) 158 mm

Width (without fan) 126 mm

Depth (without fan) 71 mm

Height (with fan) 158 mm

Width (with fan) 126 mm

Depth (with fan) 95/120* mm

Weight (without fan) 600 g

Weight (with fan) 770/940* g
Motherboard: Asus P6T

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 5770 XFX

Memory: OCZ Technology 2GB PC3 12800 (x3 = 6GB)

Hard Drive(s): 1.0TB WD Caviar Black

(SATA/32MB Cache, I plan on having two of these, and two other smaller drives (4 total drives inside the case). The two 1.0TB for storage, and the two smaller drives in a RAID0 to hold Win 7 Ultimate for faster loading.
I got a pretty decent deal on most of it, however, now i'm looking for a PSU (have no idea what type or wattage I need). Also looking for a case under $200 that will fit all of the listed above (including the 4 drives). Would be nice if it came with a remote and lcd, but I can deal with it if it doesn't...

Honestly, the cheaper the better with the case, i'd like to know what nicer options I have, and what cheaper options I have. I saw the Antec Fusion Remote Max in the guide, but I wasn't sure if it would be big enough to deal with the Noctua Cooler... I'm willing to go with a nice cheap case (even a tower) if it can muffle all the internal fans, and give really good airflow with larger, less audible intake and exhaust fans. Since i'm overclocking, cooling is going to be priority. I would also want to keep the fans attached to the heatsink, so taking them off to make room isn't an option. If anyone has any input on quieter fans that would perform just as well (or better), i'd be open to hearing about that too.

Oh, and its going to be hooked up to a Panasonic Plasma, and an Onkyo HT6200, if that matters to anyone.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Why run 2x1TB vs 1x2TB? Currently the pricepoint seems to be at 2TB for around $160. Plus using 1 drive it's quiter and uses less power as well as doesn't use another SATA slot.

Are you looking for a desktop or a tower case? I would suggest buying a nice looking PC case so you wont have to worry about cooling problems. trying to pack everything into a small HTPC case while overclocking isn't ideal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18216453

Why run 2x1TB vs 1x2TB? Currently the pricepoint seems to be at 2TB for around $160. Plus using 1 drive it's quiter and uses less power as well as doesn't use another SATA slot.

Are you looking for a desktop or a tower case? I would suggest buying a nice looking PC case so you wont have to worry about cooling problems. trying to pack everything into a small HTPC case while overclocking isn't ideal.

The other 1TB drive is for expanded storage, it wont be added until this one is filled up... I can add (and probably have lying around) an external 1TB instead for that purpose if a well priced case could fit 3 drives as opposed to 4... but I definitely would like space for 3 hard drives so I can Raid0 the operating system. All these parts are already purchased, so... not really looking to go back and return my 1TB drive, for a 2TB just to save 40 bucks.

I wouldn't mind a nice desktop or tower case with good airflow, any suggestions? Something simple, black, without unneeded LED lights, sirens, and chrome... lol...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a Antec Fusion Remote Max with a I7 920 and a large heatsink with dual 120mm fans in push pull config to cool it.

Model: Mega Shadow Deluxe Edition

Dimensions: 5.11” x 2.91” x 6.24” (130mm x 74mm x158.7mm) The 2 fans makes it deeper than 74mm so it is more like 130mm square. There is still some height left from the top of the case

Since my video card is large the drive bay in front of it has to be removed so there goes the drive space there. I have 2 wd black drives in the other drive bay but it is a tight fit because of the size of the psu .

The drive temps seem to be cool there. I would not use a psu that is not modular with this case. The psu that I used is a corsair 750 hx. There is space under the 5.25 drive holder for another drive but you need a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter to make it work. In my case I have a 2.5 to 3.5 with a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter for a 40 gig ssd mounted under the 5.25 dvd writer.

·
Registered
701 Posts
For case you'll want to track down either a Silverstone CW-02 or an Antec Fusion Max, or to go new stock, you'll want to look at a Thermaltake Luxa2 LM300.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie2u /forum/post/18218942

I have a Antec Fusion Remote Max with a I7 920 and a large heatsink with dual 120mm fans in push pull config to cool it.

Model: Mega Shadow Deluxe Edition

Dimensions: 5.11 x 2.91 x 6.24 (130mm x 74mm x158.7mm) The 2 fans makes it deeper than 74mm so it is more like 130mm square. There is still some height left from the top of the case

Since my video card is large the drive bay in front of it has to be removed so there goes the drive space there. I have 2 wd black drives in the other drive bay but it is a tight fit because of the size of the psu .

The drive temps seem to be cool there. I would not use a psu that is not modular with this case. The psu that I used is a corsair 750 hx. There is space under the 5.25 drive holder for another drive but you need a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter to make it work. In my case I have a 2.5 to 3.5 with a 3.5 to 5.25 adapter for a 40 gig ssd mounted under the 5.25 dvd writer.

Awesome, thanks for the reply... Nice to see someone with a similar setup (lets me know i'm at least doing something right)...

I went ahead and got the Antec Fusion Remote Max (Hope I got the right one, labeled as "Antec Fusion Remote Max Chassis" on one of the larger sites). And I got the Modular Corsair 750w hx. Are you running Windows 7? Have you had any problems getting the lcd & knob working (I will have Windows 7 ultimate on it, for sure)?

With the Antec Fusion Remote Max, does anyone have any recommendations for upgrading the fans? I might as well do it now instead of later... ya know?

Thanks for the replies by the way.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dial8ted8 /forum/post/18221951

Awesome, thanks for the reply... Nice to see someone with a similar setup (lets me know i'm at least doing something right)...

I went ahead and got the Antec Fusion Remote Max (Hope I got the right one, labeled as "Antec Fusion Remote Max Chassis" on one of the larger sites). And I got the Modular Corsair 750w hx. Are you running Windows 7? Have you had any problems getting the lcd & knob working (I will have Windows 7 ultimate on it, for sure)?

With the Antec Fusion Remote Max, does anyone have any recommendations for upgrading the fans? I might as well do it now instead of later... ya know?

I run dual boot Xp pro and win 7 64. Everything seems to run fine for both. The volume knob works and the display works once the software is installed.You will have to download the newest software here.

http://www.soundgraph.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143

You might want to download it now so you have it when your case arrives.

It is a very slow download.

I Will post some pics later.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dial8ted8 /forum/post/18221951

Depends on budget, but the Scythe Slipstream 1200's and the Noctua NF-P12 are the two that I recommend and neither should have a problem in that case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts