Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, played with it last night!

My take:

Tv: Great for regular show, the line doubler does a very good job.

For sports it's a bit weak (loses a bit of detail) but only when compared head to head vs a crt.

Movies: Fantastic picture. I only saw a few rainbow, and basically they were a non factor. The large picture size and remarkable quality definately brings you into the movie. I was amazed at how large I could go at such a short viewing distance without seeing any pixels or checkboard effect. Natural and film like. Takes a bit of tweaking to get colors right. Room need to be fairly dark.

Xbox, interlaced input (s-video and component)

Simply put, a bit blurry. Not horrid, but not up to my expectations.

This disturbed me a bit.....it must be the line doubler creating the problem. I would guess the average person would not even notice this. (i'm SUPER picky)

Xbox, Progressive scan, (component video)

Wow! What a difference, razor sharp, looks great! This backs up my theory that the line doubler was messing with the picture.

PC: Text very good to excellent. (not perfect)

Games....razor sharp once again, a blast on the big screen!

Downsides.....light spillage on ceiling, projector placement....(both fixable)

Fan noise........this machine anoys me. (not surprising since I'm a quiet pc guy now....) But for my testing it was very close, about 1-2 feet away......

I wish I had an hdtv source to try on this!

Oh yeah, and I confirmed what others had said, the VGA input will not accept an interlaced component signal.

Anyone else had the same problem with some blurryness on a game machine or in sports?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Congrats on your new projector! I hope you are enjoying it. My X1 is due to arrive May 7th :D . My X1 is 99% for DVD movies, so it sounds like I should be happy.

I am curious about your post where you mention this:

Quote:
Xbox, interlaced input (s-video and component)

Simply put, a bit blurry. Not horrid, but not up to my expectations.

This disturbed me a bit.....it must be the line doubler creating the problem. I would guess the average person would not even notice this. (i'm SUPER picky)
I'm a bit confused. Is the X1's scaler able to work with a signal fed through S-Video or composite? (i think you meant composite, not component correct me if I am wrong)

and this....

Quote:
Oh yeah, and I confirmed what others had said, the VGA input will not accept an interlaced component signal.
Whis is odd to me because I was under the impression that if you sent an interlaced signal the scaler would kick in.

I must have it all backwards can anyone help clarify?

Thanks

MQ

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"I'm a bit confused. Is the X1's scaler able to work with a signal fed through S-Video or composite? (i think you meant composite, not component correct me if I am wrong) "

With the xbox I fed it s-video and component video. (all interlaced) (not composite)

All three use the projectors internal line doubler.

"Whis is odd to me because I was under the impression that if you sent an interlaced signal the scaler would kick in. "

I was refering to the VGA port, which accept naitive progressive signals and 1080i hdtv. (480p, 720p, and 1080i)

With the interlaced component in (which is accessed throught the s-video port with an adapter (included with x1), the scaler does kick in.

99% percent for movies? Unless you are really plagued by rainbows, you should be happy as a clam! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use the X1 hooked up via a component-VGA good quality cable to a Phliips 963SA DVD/SACD player to watch DVD.

The 93SA (which has the Faroudja 2300 chip inside which I guess overrides the X1 internal Faroudja 2200 chip when connected through VGA) has the progressive scan on for PAL and the image at 576p is short of stunning. 3d images all the way. What a winning combo at less that 2,000 USD/Euro!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use my X1 with s-video for dvd player and tivo, vga in for xbox (with high density pack) and all looks awesome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I hooked up my Component out of my progressive Scan DVD player (I purchased the component to VGA adapter) into the X1, the image color looked great but I saw horrible ghosting and almost a double picture. I tried to tweak it to no avail. any suggestions? I have the player set to progressive & 16x9. The S-Video looks good but I hear progressive scan is better.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit of an update from yesterday. I seem to be getting a better picture throught the S-video port now. It is about 50-70% better in terms of that blurryness I was refering to. (both xbox and sports on tv) My guess is either the lamp is burning in, or more likely, the angle change I did which resulted in less keystone correction helped the problem.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems to be very good now......more like 85-90% improved.

I was wondering, what would my walls color be doing to my picture?

It's kind of a flat grey/purple (very pastel....light.....almost white)....

Am I right to assume with a white screen my contrast, colors, and whites would improve?

And with a grey screen the blacks improve?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dvdvideo
"

I was refering to the VGA port, which accept naitive progressive signals and 1080i hdtv. (480p, 720p, and 1080i)

With the interlaced component in (which is accessed throught the s-video port with an adapter (included with x1), the scaler does kick in.
dvdvideo.....so if I send a 480p signal from my dvd player component out to the VGA port on the X1 (i have the breakout cable in my hands)...I would NOT be using the X1 scaler, right?

and if I sent a 480i signal from the dvd player to the X1 through the VGA port I would get no picture? It won't accept it?

Thanks for your help.

.....and I think I will be happy, since I don't have a rainbow tendency on machines I've looked at so far.

MQ25

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mizio
I use the X1 hooked up via a component-VGA good quality cable to a Phliips 963SA DVD/SACD player to watch DVD.

The 93SA (which has the Faroudja 2300 chip inside which I guess overrides the X1 internal Faroudja 2200 chip when connected through VGA) has the progressive scan on for PAL and the image at 576p is short of stunning. 3d images all the way. What a winning combo at less that 2,000 USD/Euro!
This is good news for me because I have a Panasonic XP50 I just received last week and it has the Faroudja chip too. :)

I just finished my DIY screen....and it's ready to go, Ijust need masking.

THis should be a good weekend if all goes well...

MQ25

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"dvdvideo.....so if I send a 480p signal from my dvd player component out to the VGA port on the X1 (i have the breakout cable in my hands)...I would NOT be using the X1 scaler, right? "

I believe that is correct.

"and if I sent a 480i signal from the dvd player to the X1 through the VGA port I would get no picture? It won't accept it? "

Either no picture or messed up.

It doesn't accept it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not using the X1 scaler with 480p will only be accomplished with Native mode (I think)

If you think about it - unless the image is 800 x 600, the X1's scaler comes into play unless you're in Native mode.

Now the de-interlacer - that's a different story :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you use the CRT white goo (some prefer digital grey) from goosystems on a DIY large screen I think you'll be in shock at how much difference it'll make in your X1. It was the best buy I made for my HT. Also Avia setup disk is very useful for calibrating your projector to it's best. I went with a 92inch wide 16x9 screen and it's looking as good or better than the cinemark screens in town 8 )... I made an exception and went to see Xmen2 this weekend and was surprised at how it and my own projector system compared.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Deadman,

Am curious. You decided to go with a 16:9 screen for your 4:3 native X1.

Can you outline the thinking behind this decision? I am in the process of planning and sourcing my gear for my HT to be built this summer, and I am torn between the X1 and Z1 or L300. The issue to me is where is the bang for the buck? How are you running the X1? In 16:9, that yields a 52" high screen, but in native you would have nearly 70" of height. Sounds like you are giving up 25% of your pixels to get to 16:9.

Spell it out for me please. Am very happy to save three or four hundred dollars. That would cover some nice IR dimmers and a universal remote.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by christer W.
Am curious. You decided to go with a 16:9 screen for your 4:3 native X1.

Can you outline the thinking behind this decision?
Christer, I can't speak for Deadman. However I currently use a 16:9 screen for my X1, more by chance than by design, but it has actually worked out pretty well.

My screen is 72" wide (84" diagonal) and I sit about 12 feet from it. My eyes are pretty good, so I use just a slight bit of defocussing to minimize the last bit of screendoor effect.

I've adjusted my zoom so that 16:9 content fills the screen (horizontally and vertically). I use "native mode" for my 4:3 content (NTSC via S-Video or composite), which results in a pillarbox image that fills my screen vertically and is centered horizontally, without any adjustment to my zoom.

As it turns out, most of my 4:3 content is not high resolution (broadcast video and VHS tapes). It looked pretty soft and fuzzy when it was scaled up to the projector's full resolution. I'm not sure I'd choose to project it full screen anyway, even if I had the extra vertical height for a 4:3 screen this width. No fault of the scaler, it does a great job with what is available, but the broadcast and VHS source material is just not that good. I find it actually looks a bit better in the smaller unscaled "native mode".

My 16:9 content is typically much better resolution (DVD and HDTV via the VGA port), and it looks great on my 16:9 screen.

The only hitch I've run into is when I project a 4:3 800x600 computer game. Native mode doesn't do anything to help because the signal's native resolution is 800x600, so the native image is no different than the fullscreen 4:3 mode image. I can't un-zoom a fullscreen image far enough to make it fit my screen, so I have to use 16:9 mode on the projector to generate a squished image to be able to fit the whole picture on my screen.

Maybe if the projector was at just the right distance from my screen the zoom would have enough range to fit a fullscreen 4:3 image within my 16:9 screen? But I don't have the flexibility in my room to be able to put the projector in that sweet spot, if it exists.

That's just my experience. If I had a 4:3 screen with the same horizontal width as my 16:9 there would be no tradeoffs, but that would take some work to make it fit my room.

I think ideally what I'd like is a higher resolution 16:9 DLP projector with a high speed colour wheel. But that won't fit my budget until prices come down around X1 levels. Maybe they will by the time I'm ready to replace my X1.

·
Registered
107 Posts
OK let me spell it out for you bro..

I use a large 92" wide 16x9 anamorphic image for dvd's in 16x9 mode of course, then when watching tivo I kick it down to native mode which centers the 4x3 image perfectly into the 16x9 screen leaving two open areas of screen on the left and right sides which I mask off using a DIY masking system I designed. When you choose the 3rd screen option on the x1 which is 4:3 the image is enlarged using the scaler which is too large for my 16x9 screen; but fits those tv shows broadcast in 16x9 perfectly(Enterprise, Band of Brothers). It is a matter of use and taste really.. see I started out with a 80x60 DIY screen and I only had 80 inches width on my movies, but my tv was huge. Since I like to watch movies alot I decided my next screen was going to have more width and in the end I had to admit to myself the 80x60 inch tv screen was too large a picture for me to enjoy regular tivo. The tv picture I have now is far from small but just the right size for the room I have and for me to enjoy the show without picking out every little mpeg encoding block and ghost. The X1 doesn't even bother me being that it's a 4x3 because it's internal scaler is so awesome that 16x9 material and high density stuff(tony hawk4 on XBOX) simply looks amazing. I am a young guy who has to work hard for a living, so I have to be serious with the toys I buy. The X1 was a cheap *******s dream buy, because it does the job and you don't give up quality with the lower pricetag. Coupled with my DIY white crt screen, I think you'd have a hard time beating it for the money I spent... 8 )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.