AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Title says it all, launch on November 26th. Up to 300 additional local channels to meet requirements of must carry rules per the news release.

http://www.hsc.com/hsc_pressreleases/01_11_07_dtv.html

Hopefully this will open up some bandwidth for improved quality while the merger is in work.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I guess I don't understand what they are saying or I am stupid.

Quote:
spot beam technology that will provide DIRECTV with the capacity to deliver more than 300 additional local channels to its 41 local channel markets
Does that mean they will add Topeka and Tulsa, or will they just have more channels for the local markets they are already in?? Same goes for dish network, with this must carry law, will they add "my" locals, meaning Topeka??

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
So, if it launches on Nov. 26, any ideas on when it will actually go live?

Then, the big question is exactly how much bandwidth will it free up? Can they re-use all of the transponders previously used for local channels? Or, are they limited by frequency bandwidth rather than transponder space?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
What about when the merger (DirecTV and Dish) happens. Should that not free up more band width as well. I'm not one for mergers but in the case what ever it takes for more HDTV.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If all goes well, it should go live just after christmas. Once it gets in orbit, it will need to slowly move into the right spot and go through an extensive burn in period.

Once it is live, D* can re-use the 3 to 4 transponder freqencies to do the work that 15 to 20 currently perform broadcasting locals. This is great news. This will allow D* to use the freed 10 to 15 transponders to lighten up on the compression of the remaining channels.

I don't know if they will, but the possibility will exist to do so.

--Rick

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have some speculation on this in a thread on the Tivo Community boards.... Here is the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum5/HTML/006621.html

Here is the speculation:

Try this on for size (reasonably guesses, some facts):

About 8 transponders are currently used for locals on 101.

About 5 will be "freed" up by the new spot beam satellite.

The other 3 will be re-used over and over in small geographic regions, via the spot beams. That actually creates dozens of virtual transponders for locals or many times the current capacity for locals. Why? New must carry channels will mean at least that many new channels will be added (look at big markets, where there are 10-15 potential must-carry channels, only some of which will pay for the equipment to deliver DirecTv a signal, but plenty will).

The 5 freed up transponders will allow for 45 new channel slots (9 per transponder, not the current 10, keep reading) to be used as follows. First, all 24 transponders drop from an average of 10+ channels per transponder to 9 channels per transponder. That spends 20 of the new supply (we only need to clean up the "other" 20 transponders, not these 5, nor the 3 used over and over for locals) but makes picture quality bearable. The other 20 will be used for new channels and better PQ.

Mark

·
Registered
807 Posts
I sent DirecTV feedback this morning requesting that they use the additional bandwidth freed up by the implementation of the spot beam satellite to reduce compression and improve picture quality. I would suggest that everyone do the same. The only way they'll know its important to their customers is to tell them

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does "must carry" mean that all available local channels in a local area be beamed to that local area?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenC
Does "must carry" mean that all available local channels in a local area be beamed to that local area?
1. TV stations must request must carry in order to be carried

2. LPTV or Class A TV stations cannot request carrage under must carry

3. Must carry applies to only one of the same network affilate in a DMA, ie if a DMA has 2 NBCs only one has to be carried

4. For areas with more then 1 PBS, the main PBS the the one that qualifies, partime PBS affilates dont count

5. The station must have a good quality signal

Steve

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
There may be as many as 20 or more channels needed to meet the NYC metropolitan area alone.

When I try to estimate the needs of the "Must Carry" requirement across all the current DMA's, it seems that there may not be any new areas.

* Some have said, in other other discussions, that D* will be able to add 3 more DMA's. I believe they are up to #43 now.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
D* has 41 DMAs

E* has 36 DMAs

The spot beams will cater to must carry channels. What Im hoping is that E* and D* reach agreements with NBC, TBN, Univision and Telemundo. To allow national feeds in basic programming packages instead of instead of 20-some univisions, TBNs, Paxs and Telemundos that all show the same thing. Shopping channels shouldnt be a problem sincevirtually all are LP, same thing withg TBN. If Dish could just add Telemundo to AT100+ and then get the contracts, this would have a great affect on PQ.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.