AVS Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Wow those look fantastic. Nice work! (fast too!) What kind of veneer/laminate is that? Can you describe the finishing process a bit? Thanks!
It's actually just vinyl contact paper. I painted all the edges/ corners with black spray paint so that if there were any spots that I messed up with the vinyl it wouldn't show. I just grabbed some off Amazon. $24 per roll and they were 24"x 196" so one roll easily covered 1 box. Probably not the most durable finish but it matches all the other speakers so I like the look.

The width made it perfect for the top/back/bottom to go on with only cutting to length. The sides required cutting both length and width. It was fairly easy to put on but requires some patience to make sure that there's no bubbles. Just peel a little at a time and work the bubbles out as you go. I didn't bother sanding everything super smooth but it would definitely help it look better as every little bump shows through.

Also since they are downfiring I didn't apply it to the front (or bottom in my case), I just spray painted them black.

Up close you can definitely see some bumps and imperfections, but unless you're looking for them you can't tell. From a few feet away they look professionally built, and I'm anything but. Lol

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Thanks! So you can fold it over the edges and you did top/back/bottom in one piece? How do you cut it along the edge? How do you mate two different pieces together at the edge?

It sure looks good in the pics. Looks like it beats the work I'm having to do right now. I'm on my 4th coat of primer, sanding in between, and I'm just now just about rid of the MDF seams. Next build I will use a veneer, contact paper, or laminate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks! So you can fold it over the edges and you did top/back/bottom in one piece? How do you cut it along the edge? How do you mate two different pieces together at the edge?

It sure looks good in the pics. Looks like it beats the work I'm having to do right now. I'm on my 4th coat of primer, sanding in between, and I'm just now just about rid of the MDF seams. Next build I will use a veneer, contact paper, or laminate.
I could've definitely folded the edges and did the top/back/bottom as one piece but I decided to cut each piece and do them separately, just in case I messed up and got some wrinkles. That way I wouldn't have to scrap a big piece. I just layed the vinyl over the side that I was doing upside down and marked which line to cut (it has grids on the back for straight cuts) then cut it with scissors. I cut each piece a little big and overlapped on the next piece. It's thin enough that you don't see the seams unless you look really close.

It took me about an hour to do each box (not counting the time to spray paint the edges). There was a learning curve as the fist side that I tried got all wrinkled up and I had to scrap that piece. After that I slowed down a little and didn't have to scrap another piece. After I wrapped around the edges I used a hair dryer and went around the edges and smoothed everything out and then went over the whole piece with the hair dryer and my hand and it helped to get all the little bubbles out.

Overall it looks good enough for a box sitting in the corner and even up close doesn't look bad but it's certainly not flawless. I'll be doing all my future boxes the same way, no doubt. Not sure on the durability but people use this stuff for counter tops so it can't be too bad. Plus they're going to be sitting in the corners and shouldn't be bumped or anything so I doubt I'll have any problems. Besides that, I had enough left over and saved it just in case I have to patch anything if something happens. It blends almost seamlessly so it wouldn't be too big of a deal to just patch it and try to keep it smooth.

I'd recommend trying it on a practice piece first, or starting on the side that will be up against the wall just to get the hang of it. It takes a little finesse but nothing bad.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts