AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys!

This is my first jump into DIY so I figured I would put this thread out here to update with my experience. Firstly, my current set up:

Mains: NHT ST4's
Center: NHT M5
Surrounds: NHT SB2's
Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

My current set up has served me well, but recently I have been feeling that my current speakers are a bit underpowered when being driven by my avr even at modest volume. Anyone who has had these speakers know's that they are very power hungry! I am currently just using my avr to drive my speakers so the goal in mind with this upgrade will be high sensitivity speakers that put out tons of clean output while still using my avr (denon e400). I decided to go with Erich's fusion kits because of all the reviews, and they seem to be the best for what i'm looking for.

I ordered everything on 2/4 so they should be here soon. After tons of researching and asking around the threads, here's what ive ended up with.

Mains: Fusion 12 tempest
Center: Fusion 8 center

I'm planning on sticking with my sb2's for surround duties for now and perhaps next i'll build some volt 10's.

To keep up with the fusion's and because...well, bass :D, I decided to sell my pb12 and build a pair of sealed 18's with the stereo integrity ht18d2 drivers run by an inuke 6000dsp. I'll be using the 4^3 ft sealed boxes from diysg.

I'll be finishing these boxes with duratex to keep everything simple and looking good.

Can't wait to get started! :cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got my sub drivers in. These things are huge!

This is my first time seeing anything bigger than a 12" in person and these 18's are absolutely monsters!

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First sub put together

Here is my progress so far. I at first was going to just build the one sub so while i'm waiting on the parts for everything else, i went ahead and started the first sub.

Room Wood Furniture Floor

Model aircraft Ceiling Table Furniture Chair

Circle Window

I'm having an issue with it as it stands. The cone is moving a bit but i'm getting pretty weak bass. I'm assuming I messed something up in the wiring or in the inuke since it's my first time :eek:. I'll keep playing with it and get down to the bottom of it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Try cranking the front panel knob all the way up (clockwise) to adjust the amp's input sensitivity.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately the inuke is doa I think. After an hour of barely putting a current into it the amp is going into shutdown mode. The rings are turning red without anything hooked to it and the fan isn't kicking on which might be the problem. Looks like I'll need an exchange :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunately the inuke is doa I think. After an hour of barely putting a current into it the amp is going into shutdown mode. The rings are turning red without anything hooked to it and the fan isn't kicking on which might be the problem. Looks like I'll need an exchange :(

First off your sub turned out great!! Did you finish it with duratex?

How do you have the sub wired up? Not sure the inuke 3000 was the best choice for the d2 subwoofers. The d2 can either be 1ohm (coils in parallel) or 4ohm (coils in seriers) that amp is not designed to do 1ohm:(

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off your sub turned out great!! Did you finish it with duratex?

How do you have the sub wired up? Not sure the inuke 3000 was the best choice for the d2 subwoofers. The d2 can either be 1ohm (coils in parallel) or 4ohm (coils in seriers) that amp is not designed to do 1ohm:(
Thanks man! And yep it was duratex. And I totally forgot to post this but I ended up upgrading to the inuke 6000dsp So I have it wired to 4ohms

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got my delivery!

Carton Box Cardboard Material property Package delivery

Room Floor Table Furniture Audio equipment

Audio equipment Electronics Technology Subwoofer Auto part

Here's where I'm at. Still have a few coats of duratex for the bottoms of each box.
Loudspeaker Subwoofer Audio equipment Computer speaker Studio monitor

I'll be taking my first crack at the crossovers today sometime. I've never done one so it's a bit over my head at the moment :eek:;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Those are looking nice! You are going to love the Tempests. I have some pretty good pictures of my Tempest crossovers in my build thread linked in my signature that might help you out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Audio equipment Product Subwoofer Loudspeaker Technology

All the boxes are built and painted. Just gotta get the crossovers figured out and get the drivers installed

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First Tempest Done!

My first tempest is now complete and breaking in. I'll probably finish the other tomorrow and i'll get some pictures and a quick review going.

Unfortunately i was being careless when cutting one of the pieces a few days ago and nearly cut my thumb off! :eek: So i'm still chugging along but at a slightly slower pace with my thumb being braced up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright! got my second tempest done. Also got my inuke in today so I have both the si 18's as well. I'm in the very early stages at getting them set up but the sound quality is fantastic so far. Running a phantom center while I work on the fusion 8 but I have barely noticed the lack of center. The bass is quite powerful from what i'm coming from. I can tell it still needs dialed in but I have a umik on the way to start up that that. Overall i'm very impressed.

Mammal Dog Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

My buddy giving me a hand getting the drivers in lol

Loudspeaker Electronics Audio equipment Subwoofer Room

I'll take some better photos once the center is in

ps. i tried for 15 minutes to get the tempest picture to be straight lol

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good job! I'm doing it a bit reversed, building the subs first then some diy speakers later :D
Lol yeah I'm glad I didn't bite off more than I can chew. Thanks for the compliment though!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts