AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was planning to buy studio monitors for my PC based music setup and have almost decided on Behringer 1031A.

But then got a thought of trying to build on my own. I guess its not possible to beat the

1031As at that price with DIY, also given this is my first time. Also not sure above what price does

the DIY route becomes cost effective compared to commercial alternatives.

Though learning will be fun anyways.

Anyways let me mention the intent and based on all factors will decide whether to jump into this.

[ Or can always buy the 1031As and then try to build one like them
]

Goal :

2 way desktop nearfield monitor which will work good for 2-4ft listening distance, good enough vertical and horizontal dispersion

freq range - 60-20K Hz Can add subs later.

Need your feedback on following design considerations :

1) Enclosure : Sealed enclosure or open baffle ? as those might be relatively easier designs ?

2) Drivers : 2 drivers ( woofer tweeter ) or 1 coax ?

3) Driver Size : Is 8" an optimal choice, whether woofer or coax ?

4) Crossover : I have a minidsp, so can use it as 2 way stereo crossover

5) Amp : Need to look for 4 channel amp .

Also need to know how much to spend on drivers for the first project.

Not too high in case it doesn't work out but also sufficiently good drivers which can be further improved by changes in enclosure etc..

Is budget of 800$ realistic ? (still twice the price of pair of 1031As!!)

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
If I were building such a near field monitor, I'd examine the high quality Seas coax'es capabilities, and suitability.

But, the work has been done for you in the existing inexpensive high performance offering like the Behringer and others. Thats a highly competitive high value segment of the market.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Can you design and build your own crossovers? If so, then yea, one of the Seas coax drivers would certainly be nice, but, if not, you could always order the V8 or V10 coax flat pack from DIYSG. I believe that there is an existing design that uses one of the nicer Beyma coax drivers, and also a design using the B&C 8CX21 driver that is also very nice.

I recommend using a coax no matter which design you end up going with. I say that because as far as I know, getting the drivers in a 2-way design to sum properly at that close of a listening distance might be kind of hard to do. I am not saying that it can't be done, though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1521247/first-diy-desktop-speakers#post_24446745

Can you design and build your own crossover.

No. Can't I use minidsp ?

If it works well, I can just use 8CX21 or 8CXT as single driver 2-way in nearfield.

though will not work in sealed enclosure then.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH  /t/1521247/first-diy-desktop-speakers#post_24446530

But, the work has been done for you in the existing inexpensive high performance offering like the Behringer and others. Thats a highly competitive high value segment of the market.

That's something to really worry about, for sure...

The chances of 1031A being better than whatever I do is quite high too

But maybe its the "built myself" fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic  /t/1521247/first-diy-desktop-speakers#post_24447224

I'd either build the Alexandre design here: http://zaphaudio.com/contest.html

Or put a Mark Audio good 4" full range driver in a sealed box and use the computer to eq and add sub(s).

Or a coaxial.

Option 2 is nice cause it would be dirt cheap and actually works really well. It's what I do.

Will look into that

Some cheap combination can be :

Dayton Audio RS28F-4 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter

Dayton Audio RS225-4 8" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm

Dayton XO2W-2K 2-Way Crossover 2,000 Hz (or my current minidsp)

Something like B&C 8CXT + some 8" woofer (RS225) for 60-300 Hz should be fantastic. But that would be 3 way (more complicated, but maybe minidsps will help) and much costlier!

Not sure how it will be for nearfield though....

how would open baffle be for such a desktop setup ? That should bring down enclosure complications, right ?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
No, bad ideas. Don't use that 2000hz premade XO and don't use the minidsp as a XO unless you know how to. You can't just plug in a frequency and boom, it works. Yes it'll make sound and yes it'll sound ok. But not as good as the behringers or anything equivalent. Active XOers still require proper design.

Alexandre has already don't the work for a nearfield monitor 2 way which is in that link I posted.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Take a look at the Overnight Sensations. There are complete kits available at Parts Express and other places. Thats what I am using on my computer with a little Lepai amp. They are not tiny but have awesome sound and a easy way to start out in the DIY world.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Like Tux said, it's not nearly as simple as "just using a MiniDsp" for the crossover. To properly do an active crossover on something such as a MiniDsp, you would probably need to posses the skills to design a passive crossover as well. (Speaking in terms of knowledge wrt crossover and speaker design)

I say go for a coax, and use one that has an existing design, such as the B&C 8CX21 or the nice Beyma that I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1521247/first-diy-desktop-speakers#post_24450567

Like Tux said, it's not nearly as simple as "just using a MiniDsp" for the crossover. To properly do an active crossover on something such as a MiniDsp, you would probably need to posses the skills to design a passive crossover as well. (Speaking in terms of knowledge wrt crossover and speaker design)

I say go for a coax, and use one that has an existing design, such as the B&C 8CX21 or the nice Beyma that I mentioned earlier.

I was under assumption that when using minidsp, its just working with the 2 or 4 way crossover software plugin...

Though not denying that I would need to understand the functionality of crossover.

DIYSG just has Eminence beta base coax kits now.

Regarding B&C 8CX21/8CXT : Will try to search kits for them.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Listen to Tux, good stuff

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One related question (may not apply to coax drivers) : How is the total of driver heights and the distance at which they "sum up" related ? And what can be done to reduce that... ?

(I guess the 1031As should work between 2-4ft)

·
Banned
3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifisound  /t/1521247/first-diy-desktop-speakers#post_24454943

One related question (may not apply to coax drivers) : How is the total of driver heights and the distance at which they "sum up" related ? And what can be done to reduce that... ?

(I guess the 1031As should work between 2-4ft)

Although I may not be able to fully describe the science behind it, but, basically what you want to have happen in the case of a properly designed 2-way that you will be listening to near field, is that you will be far enough back for the wavelengths coming out of the drivers to properly sum. If you don't design it for it's intended usage, and you sit too close, that will screw up what the original designer intended with regards to the crossover design.

Spectral wavefronts travel fast, and are short, on the other hand, model wavefronts are long. With that being said, you want to, ideally, set back far enough that the spectral and model frequencies blend together, and that is mostly achieved by tweaking the crossover, and/or sitting far enough back..

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi MartyCool007,

The question was a bit different. I do know that my LP should beyond the distance the drivers sum up and in my case it better be less than 2 ft.

My question how does calculate it from the speaker and its drivers specs. And while designing what factors can help reduce it...

Thanks...

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
You're asking a fairly high level design question. But basically it comes down to driver spacing (a 5" woofer with a neo dome tweeter or a 7" woofer with a 4" faceplate tweeter). And the XO frequency. The lower the XO the longer the wavelengths.

Google "constructive destructive sound waves". I also could scan some old physics text book pages if that doesn't get you much.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Yes, that is why I keep suggesting that the OP use a nice coaxal type driver for this setup. It would definitely be the optimal way of doing a near field computer speaker setup. Plus, if he goes with the B&C 8CX21 or the Beyma, that would provide some very high quality SQ!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1521247/first-diy-desktop-speakers#post_24458655

Yes, that is why I keep suggesting that the OP use a nice coaxal type driver for this setup. It would definitely be the optimal way of doing a near field computer speaker setup. Plus, if he goes with the B&C 8CX21 or the Beyma, that would provide some very high quality SQ!

Something like 8CX21/8CXT will be quite good, no doubt. Only concern would be cost I think.

Btw are you suggesting a 2-way using coax or a 3-way using a coax and a woofer like RS225 ?

Though surprisingly relatively very few pro audio nearfield monitors use coax, isn't it ? What could be the reason ?

If its price, then at-least upper end monitors should have used coaxs

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Based on some reading I did this weekend including looking various DIY projects I feel that in a 2-way design it will be tough to beat a commercial alternative at similar price.

But in a 3-way I guess it would be quite cost effective as compared to ready products (though I guess 3-way for nearfield will be too much except maybe when using coax)

Will that be correct ? Though this applies for experts like you not a newbie like me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anybody have inputs regarding comparisons of their DIY projects with similarly priced commercial offerings, esp the studio monitors ( which may have more realistic pricing than a "audiophile" speaker) ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts