AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my first attempt. It is a Dayton 15" DVC and a SA240 amp in an Adire Alignment box with 2 3"x11" long PVC ports. Stuffed with 64oz polyfill. Cost was exactly $350. I plan to put a nice cherry stain on it. What do ya think??

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Looks good. Congrats. Have you fired it up yet?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just ran some test tones through it while sitting in the garage...it was late last night and I didnt have the strength to get it in the house.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any issues with the ports not having an huge radius as specified? I believe they speced a flare port kit with a 5in radius????

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLows121780 /forum/post/18279685

Any issues with the ports not having an huge radius as specified? I believe they speced a flare port kit with a 5in radius????

First off nice looking sub! But the issue with smaler dia and shorter ports is you could posibly get port noise from the air moving too fast. Youll just have to fire it up and listen. Since its downfiring hopefully you wont notice it if it is present???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me rephrase that...the plans call for a 3" x 11" port but it is supposed to be a precision port fp3 with an 11" center tube to 5 3/16in flare........so port noise might be an issue? Currently it is rounded over to about 4in.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLows121780 /forum/post/18279861

I havent played this yet but are you saying that it will require 2 of these to get adequate bass?

Nah, he's just saying that now that you've built one you'll hunger for more! It's a heck of a fun hobby (perhaps addiction would be the better term), can get expensive though

Looking good. Can't wait to see how it looks once it's all stained up nice.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripracer /forum/post/18283314

that looks great! how musical is the dayton?

How is a sub musical? Ever just listened to it's output alone?

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/18278205

Looks pretty good! I noticed you had a little bit of tearout on some of your cuts. I ran across this that helps with that.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...wood-cuts.aspx

I've made zero clearance inserts for all my saws but I find even better success using blades made specifically for cutting plywood and laminates. They're generally not too expensive either.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First, to say I am impressed should mean nothing to you! I am a terrible wood worker and haven't had much time lately to work on getting better. That makes me love anything that has been built by human hands. For your first build, I would say you did a great job! How does it sound???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It hits real low but seems to be lacking in the 50 to 80Hz area. I am gonna borrow my buddies SPL meter and test tone CD and see if my ears are decieving me. A few people have told me that my lack of bass is due to the sub being underpowered. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any thoughts on the sub being underpowered? I found an EP1500 that in the buget. What else would I need to run a pro amp?

·
Registered
440 Posts
The DVC is rated at 350w per VC. 120w per dosen't seem like a whole lot. You will likely run out of power before the driver runs out of steam.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts