AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the subject of apartment/condo speakers, but found mostly recommendations for individuals on upper floors. My condo is on the first floor, and has open space on three sides, with a neighbor along my kitchen/dining room and upstairs. I've been considering packages that will get me in below $1500, but want to make sure I can get something that won't disturb my two neighbors. I can't imagine anything huge is necessary, since I won't be able to turn it up very loud anyhow. Also, I'm wondering how much a down-firing sub will be heard on the side and upstairs. I went to Magnolia yesterday and was shown a $1500 package consisting of the Definitive Technology EcoStar speakers and a Denon receiver. Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Well,

It's more an argument of how well your walls/ceiling transmit sound rather than the speaker itself. See how loud you can get and then decide if it's worth investing in speakers before isolation.

Seth

·
Registered
750 Posts
low frequencies from subs travel, no question about it. You can minimize, but not eliminate, some of the transmitted noise by isolating the sub from the floor. Doing so prevents the mechanical vibration from the sub's feet from vibrating the floor and transmitting that vibration to the walls and the neighbors. It's not perfect, and when you crank an isolated sub your neighbors will still hear it, but maybe not quite as much as one sitting directly on the floor. An isolated sub can still get the walls vibrating, but it's from the sound waves in the air instead of the mechanical motion of the sub against the floor.

To isolate the sub from the floor, use a SubDude made by Auralex. They are about $50 from sweetwater.com. A GRAMMA pad made by Auralex is the same thing, just with a giant logo on the top surface.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
It's substantial. The thing is it's not so much the amount, just the type. The room still vibrates, but the chandelier doesn't shake as much (even with more volume).

Seth

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I won't have it to levels that high anyway. Ideally, I'd like to be able to sense the bass while watching movies/listening to music while keeping things quiet enough for my neighbors. I don't need a ton of bass, really.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MeddlingKids
Well, I won't have it to levels that high anyway. Ideally, I'd like to be able to sense the bass while watching movies/listening to music while keeping things quiet enough for my neighbors. I don't need a ton of bass, really.
How about bass shakers? They don't create any noise but can give you the "feeling".

·
Registered
488 Posts
you can attach the shakers to the sofa or favorite listening chair and get the vibrations of bass but with no sound... The sofa or chair absorb most of the vibrations but the residual vibrations would go to the floor where you don't need to worry about a neighbor.

This is a great suggestion if you want the feeling of bass but not the sound or potential building disturbance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
They attach to your seating and don't play any noise just vibrate your seat.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MeddlingKids
I guess that would work, provided I had satellite speakers with some low end. Wouldn't it sound odd to not hear the bass?
Depends on what speakers you buy - if you buy a decent set of main speakers, they might provide enough bass for you to be happy.

If not, you can pick up a small subwoofer (something that wouldn't be too annoying for your neighbours) to complement the speakers.

The bass shakers would just add to the tactile effect of the subwoofer.

Brands of Bass Shakers you can try:

-Aura Bass Shaker Pros (80.00 a pair at Smarthome Auctions - these work great, I use them in my sofa. I only run my shakers at 50% power (140W amp), anymore and the sofa feels like a roller coaster)

-Regular Aura Bass Shakers (28.00 ea at PartsExpress)

-Clark Synthesis Transducer (about 100.00 - 250.00 depending on the model, the smallest model is good enough for a small couch)

-ButtKicker LFE (most expensive bass shaker - almost 600.00+ for the kit)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Look at an Ascend Acoustics package with the HSU sub included. Great sound and you can easily control for the bass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.