AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent about 6 hours today playing, testing and compairing the BDP-80 to my Panasonic BD35..and the only area that I think the BD35 has an advantage is in upscaling SD-DVD. The BDP-80 is hands down better at everything else...but the upsampling of 480 material is just not as sharp and crisp as the BD35.

RayJr

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr /forum/post/17003359

I spent about 6 hours today playing, testing and compairing the BDP-80 to my Panasonic BD35..and the only area that I think the BD35 has an advantage is in upscaling SD-DVD. The BDP-80 is hands down better at everything else...but the upsampling of 480 material is just not as sharp and crisp as the BD35.

RayJr

Ray wouldn't this just be a single post against "BDP-80 setup and 1st impressions" thread or "BDP80-04-0807 firmware" thread rather then a new thread?

You know this player has only had one FW release since initial release to beta testers and I doubt the final SD-DVD performance is set in stone.

·
Registered
17,126 Posts
Ya Ray!!!!

You can't just come into these forums and start creating new threads about any willy nilly thing you choose!

Maybe just sit back for a bit and observe how we do things around here.

If we need anything, we'll let ya know... mmmK?... OK! Thanks Ray!

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Welcome Ray. Don't mind our court jester/joker/fool. He's absolutely FULL of it! But we like to have him around here anyway, because we can smack him until the bells on his ridiculous hat are jingling wildly. Very therapeutic!

Gary

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/17003461

Ray wouldn't this just be a single post against "BDP-80 setup and 1st impressions" thread or "BDP80-04-0807 firmware" thread rather then a new thread?

You know this player has only had one FW release since initial release to beta testers and I doubt the final SD-DVD performance is set in stone.

Sorry guys

My understanding was that I was to pass on any information that I found in my testing...I understand that this is not the final SD-DVD Performance...but I was just passing on my findings. I will post my future findings in "BDP-80 setup and 1st impressions"

Sorry

RayJr

·
Read the FAQ!
35,946 Posts
Sheesh! We need new firmware to keep people busy -- so they don't have time to haze the new guys!

Welcome Ray. Don't mind us. We've been through the trenches here on the BDP-83 and are probably a little stodgy and set in our ways. Probably do us some good to shake us up...

--Bob

·
Registered
22,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/17004358

Sheesh! We need new firmware to keep people busy -- so they don't have time to haze the new guys!

Welcome Ray. Don't mind us. We've been through the trenches here on the BDP-83 and are probably a little stodgy and set in our ways. Probably do us some good to shake us up...

--Bob

Translation: Tell those wankers to stuff it and start as many new threads as you like. None of them have anything better to do than sit here all day, reading and posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr /forum/post/17003359

...but the upsampling of 480 material is just not as sharp and crisp as the BD35.

I have a little trouble with this statement. I'm feeling that with well-mastered DVDs the -80 is as good looking as the -83. This is always dependant on the material, of course. "Sharp and crisp" aren't really quantifiable but often a smoother image or one with more contrast can be perceived as "clearer" when it fact is has less detail. I'd stick to benchmark results for sharpness in evaluating actual detail in images. Our eyes are just not that reliable.

Besides, you're not allowed to criticize the Oppo players in here!

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Regarding the Panasonic BD35 which I have and it's SD DVD upscaling; without question, the player has built-in, non-defeatable edge enhancement (at least at 1080p) which can be seen on a sharpness pattern. This might be giving the appearance of a sharper image. Now, the Panasonic still could have better deinterlacing and scaling abilities. I don't know. I know Kris Deering rated it very high in this regard and subjectively the BD35 does a very nice job with SD DVD. I have not compared BDP-80 to the BD35 yet. I would be curious to see how both players compare on something like the SD DVD Avia 200mhz resolution pattern which could be even more revealing in terms of detail.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Welcome to the Beta GANG ray!

Dont mind the first two insults, it was late on a friday night and Alcohol could be involved.....

It will be interesting to see where SD upsacling performance ends up for the 80 when things are settled.

·
Registered
22,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Spackman /forum/post/17004718

Dont mind the first two insults, it was late on a friday night and Alcohol could be involved.....

I thought AVS had installed ignition interlocks on those "problem poster's" PCs. They must have had their kids blow into them so they could get online.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/17005154

I thought AVS had installed ignition interlocks on those "problem poster's" PCs. They must have had their kids blow into them so they could get online.

Hasn't stopped you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts