AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum, but not to high end equipment. I currently have a Nad 320bee integrated amp connected to a paradigm ps-1200 sub and a pair of tower speakers that i built myself using silverflute woofers, peerless tweeters and custom built x-overs via solen of Quebec.

I picked up a used paradigm ps-1200 that is 15 years old!!! I was extremely timid about buying it. The guy i bought it from told me that he was easy on it. He said that he used it for ht use mainly with a little bit of music every now and then and that it was in storage for the last 5 years, because he had a new dog to his household, in which he didn't want to damage the dog's hearing.

I went to see it and it was in FANTASTIC condition! Not one scratch on it. It sounded good, so i gave him his $300 cdn firm asking price. I took it home and pounded it for a few hours with no problems. I took it apart and their was no "dry rot" around the woofer. In fact the voice coil-woofer looked to be in almost new condition!

My question is this.......As stated this is the " first generation" ps-1200 with the 120 watt internal amp that goes down to 24hz. with a stamped steel basket. paradigm made changes to the ps-1200 over the years. They went with a die-cast basket woofer and increased the amp to 200 watts rms, and eventually 250. Extension dropped from 24 to 21hz.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to trade up to the 200 watt amp with my current woofer, or trade up to the revised 200 watt amp and the die-cast woofer, or leave well enough alone. If their would be a "noticable" difference in output, i would do it.

Thanks...

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass extreme /forum/post/18216822

....Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum, but not to high end equipment. I currently have a Nad 320bee integrated amp connected to a paradigm ps-1200 sub and a pair of tower speakers that i built myself using silverflute woofers, peerless tweeters and custom built x-overs via solen of Quebec.

I picked up a used paradigm ps-1200 that is 15 years old!!! I was extremely timid about buying it. The guy i bought it from told me that he was easy on it. He said that he used it for ht use mainly with a little bit of music every now and then and that it was in storage for the last 5 years, because he had a new dog to his household, in which he didn't want to damage the dog's hearing.

I went to see it and it was in FANTASTIC condition! Not one scratch on it. It sounded good, so i gave him his $300 cdn firm asking price. I took it home and pounded it for a few hours with no problems. I took it apart and their was no "dry rot" around the woofer. In fact the voice coil-woofer looked to be in almost new condition!

My question is this.......As stated this is the " first generation" ps-1200 with the 120 watt internal amp that goes down to 24hz. with a stamped steel basket. paradigm made changes to the ps-1200 over the years. They went with a die-cast basket woofer and increased the amp to 200 watts rms, and eventually 250. Extension dropped from 24 to 21hz.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to trade up to the 200 watt amp with my current woofer, or trade up to the revised 200 watt amp and the die-cast woofer, or leave well enough alone. If their would be a "noticable" difference in output, i would do it.

Thanks...

1) You can't just change the amp without degrading what you already have. The amp and the driver are a system. Designed to work together.

2) Its not worth it to change the amp and the driver unless you can get them dirt cheap, and in perfect condition.

3) There might be a "noticeable" difference, but not necessarily for the better.

4) Your thread title is misleading.

If you want extension below ~24Hz you should get something that has significant output to 20 Hz. The standards for subs have increased greatly over the past 15 years.

Check out this chart. The PS-1200 didn't fare very well.

You have to scroll almost all the way down to find the PS-1200.

http://home.comcast.net/~frank_carter/Nousaine.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
............To begin with, all the reviews for the ps-1200 with the revised amp (200 watts) and the die-cast woofer claim an increase in performance. This brought the bass extension from 24 to 21 hz. The internal volume of my sub enclosure (ps-1200) stayed the same over the years. All they (Paradigm), changed was the woofer and amp output.

I can get a new die-cast (revised) woofer from paradigm for $200 cdn. I can send my amp to solen and get the output from 120 watts rms to 200 using quality parts for about $50-100 cdn. Any reviews for the ps-1200 going back to its introduction to its termination have been nothing but positive.

Thanks.......

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass extreme /forum/post/18217043

............To begin with, all the reviews for the ps-1200 with the revised amp (200 watts) and the die-cast woofer claim an increase in performance. This brought the bass extension from 24 to 21 hz.

Then why ask, do it.

With an ID like 'bass extreme'
,the PS-1200 is about as far from high end (and extreme) as I can think of. Everything has advanced light years since then...

I would demo something a lot more capable before I put any money into it unless there is some intrinsic value that you have placed on vintage equipment.

I mean I am not trying to rip on you or your sub, but if you heard a real subwoofer you would understand where I am coming from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...Bass extreme is not in regards to the ps-1200. It is just a nickname i came up with. Come on "jpm st3', give me a break! You must admit that a 12" sub with only a 120 watt amp that can hit 24 hz and that is 15 years old is nothing to scoff at!. What i am asking is with a $250-300 investment to go with a new woofer and increased power output(to go from a stamped steel to a die-cast woofer with 200 rms from 120), to achieve a 21 hz. extension is it worth it).Only recently did they do away with the ps -series. I will say again, Read the reviews.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
For $300, don't bother. Honestly, for the $600 you'll have spent after the upgrade, you could have bought an SVS PB10-NSD, possibly a new Paradigm DSP-3200 (with say 25 to 30% negotiated discount), and who knows what else, used. All of which would be significant improvements over the PS-1200.

Also, the $300 likely won't get you much (i.e., 24hz to 21hz isn't going to rock your world).

Honestly, IMO, enjoy the sub you bought for a while and once you've saved up another $700 or so take that $1000 and buy a sub that will be a big upgrade over the PS-1200.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I am not saying it is not a good subwoofer at all. I am just saying I would not put a dime into it. For $500-600 you could get something that would outperform several of them.

In my opinion it is just not worth the money.

In the end, it is your money and you are the one that needs to be happy.

You posted here looking for opinions, I am giving you mine. I am sure others will share the same.

My earbuds can hit 20Hz all day long, but not at any SPL usable for HT.

So, getting extension to a certain freq is pointless unless there is an SPL level attached to it. My point is that a real subwoofer from say, SVS, Epik, Elemental Designs at a reasonable price point would be better than several of those ps-1200s. The available excursion and power handling and design in the latest generation of subs is in another league.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.......sounds good. I think i will just stay with what i have. In a worst case senerio, i can use this ps-1200 for a year or so, and if i take good care of it, i can sell it and get my money back! Like i said this thing is in mint condition. I have seen similar units on ebay where the cabinet is beat up and they are asking for $300 U.S.I am amazed at the overall condition of this for being 15 years old! It really is in "show room" condition

Thanks...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't worry about what everyone else thinks I have 2 PS-1200s and and a complete Paradigm hT system all vintage and Iv'e found nothing under 5grand that sounds any better and I've been in this game for 30 years, Oh sure there's subs out there that will out preform the PS-1200 but so what as long as everything matches up and sounds tight it's all good....
I learned a long time ago when buying guitars it's not what it cost it's the tone, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevescar2 /forum/post/21973416

Don't worry about what everyone else thinks I have 2 PS-1200s and and a complete Paradigm hT system all vintage and Iv'e found nothing under 5grand that sounds any better and I've been in this game for 30 years, Oh sure there's subs out there that will out preform the PS-1200 but so what as long as everything matches up and sounds tight it's all good....
I learned a long time ago when buying guitars it's not what it cost it's the tone, just my 2 cents

I just replaced my 14+ yr. old PS1200 with a Rythmik FV15. My Paradigm might be on the sale block soon. It WAS a good sub when it came out, but is now easily outperformed by the ID companys. When I would watch Saving Private Ryan or War Of The Worlds it would be missing something in LFE. I would see the explosion or see the POD come out of the ground but no LFE until the sub caught up with it. Now? Major, huge difference!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
An increase in 80 watts or to the different woofer is unlikely to be very noticeable. If you are happy with your setup, then I would leave well enough alone.

If you happen to feel like upgrading your subwoofer, then I would consider upgrading to something current and consider the internet direct offerings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts