AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my first Superbowl Party (in HD) with my X1, just thought I would say thanks to all you contributers here! There will be atleast 4 or 5 new X1 owners thanks to this little things performance on Sunday. Everyone was amazed (as usual) with how good the HD looks on this thing. Keep preaching "Front Projection" to the masses!

·
Registered
352 Posts
What was your HD source? Cable or OTA STB?

Sonicflood

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had 11 people over to watch our x-1 with ota feed from myhd card. Everyone loved it. My one friend who wants a projector and has been reading up on the x-1 said "So where are the rainbows?". I laughed and said "I guess you've been reading the avs forum".

·
Registered
165 Posts
You guys are killing me.

Adelphia didn't come through with CBS-HD so I ended up with the 32" TV for the game.

At least the Pats won.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kgregg
Me too! I "wowed" about 35 people in my house with the X1 and Comcast HD outside of Balto MD yesterday.
You wouldn't happen to be known as "Buddy Lee" would you?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the Dish 811 using an OTA Winegard 8-bay UHF antenna hooked up to the X-1. Sure looked good and my Super Bowl guests were amazed. I think I sold at least three X-1s on Sunday.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i had nine people watching the comcast hd feed and all were blown away. not sure if i sold any x1's but the i'm still cleaning up the drool... ;-)

way to go pats!

·
Registered
811 Posts
sorry to burst your bubble, but you didn't have a "HD superbowl party" you had just a regular superbowl party with a BIG SD screen =P

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did you guys notice when they used the telephoto cameras to show the close up of the coaches and the bench players the picture is not as sharp and detail as the wide angle cameras that were used to display the whole field.

I think there were a mixed of hidef and standard cameras used at the superbowl.

Did anyone else notice it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
sorry to burst your bubble, but you didn't have a "HD superbowl party" you had just a regular superbowl party with a BIG SD screen =P
How can that be? When I put on the SD version of the game, I heard nothing but moans and groans from the guests. When I switched back to HD version, I got the "oohs" and "aahhs" again. Please explain. Kevin

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kgregg
How can that be? When I put on the SD version of the game, I heard nothing but moans and groans from the guests. When I switched back to HD version, I got the "oohs" and "aahhs" again. Please explain. Kevin
The X1 doesn't support true HD resolution.

I say, "So what?" HD still looks fantastic on the X1. Infocus uses magic pixie dust as far as I'm concerned to make HD content look as good as it does on the X1. I'm amazed at how good HD content looks on my X1.

·
Registered
315 Posts
of course, kamus is technically correct, but in fact the X1's "HD" image is dramatically better than the SD feed of the same image. so while we may not have been watching a true "HD" image, it fooled our group.

come to think of it i think the crab dip had that fake crab in it too, but no one could tell... and light beer isn't technically real beer, but who cares?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have to agree with others' X1 experience. I feed the HDTV stream from satellite/DVB through my HTPC and into the X1 via VGA. 98" Parkland DIY screen. Watched the whole SuperBowl (not even a football fan!) and it looked superb.

The thing about HDTV specs vs. the reality of the X1's resolution limitations is that there is an issue of diminishing returns. On paper the X1 seems to fall far short of 1080i, but in practice a good 1080i feed is significantly better than even a DVD, even though the X1 effectively tops out at DVD resolution. While displays with higher resolution are indeed sharper with 1080i material than the X1, it becomes increasingly difficult to perceive the differences. In other words, once you move beyond the "WOW" factor, further increases in resolution are incremental rather than revelations. The human eye has its limitations, after all.

The CBS broadcast obviously contained a mixture of sources, even within the game itself. They did not use HD cameras exclusively, and it was quite obvious (and jarring) when they switched to SD cameras for handheld shots. And commercial spots varied, some in HD, some in SD. Some were in SD both letterboxed and pillarboxed, resulting in little postage stamps relative to the full screen. Oh well, they're just commercials.

On the Bell ExpressVu satellite service there is an HD demo that runs between PPV movies (at least, on the French HD PPV). It's about 12 minutes long and is mostly some young woman walking around in what appears to be a seaside village in France. Although it's kind of silly, with her wandering around by herself in some kind of strange trancelike state, the HD quality is stunning and is has easily the highest "WOW" factor I have seen on the X1 or anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I too watched the Superbowl in HDTV from Comcast CBS HD on the X1...

However the whites in the field has me thinking of going to a SP 7200.

It was all good until I saw the white jaggys. Is this from the transfer or the scaling of the X1?

My biggest problem is my X1 is 17' away from the screen. 148" screen.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also have a decently sized media room, about 17 feet long, so I wanted a longer-throw lens, which the Benq has. I have it about 15 or 16 feet from the screen and am using it on a 45" x 80" screen, which looked superb for the Superbowl. To my eyes, the wow factor is bigger with a brighter, crisper picture that is 7' wide vs. a dimmer, more jaggy picture that is somewhat larger, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.