AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so let me first say i have pretty much no idea what im doing but was looking to see if someone could point me in the direction of the products that i will need.

I am purchasing a new build home and want the developer to lay out some speaker wire for me. I want the typical home theater 5 speaker set up in family room but then i want about 4-6 other speakers through out the house. My only experience is with your standard home theater receiver which does not have enough speaker plugs to pull this off.

I basically just want the A and B switch to turn different speakers on/off. I been looking on amazon but do not even know what to search.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you just want the same source to play on all speakers from a single amp, than you can use an impedance matching volume control for each pair of speakers. You need impedance matching to avoid overloading the amp when you connect more than one speaker.

Here's some basic info on house speaker setups.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Someone recently mentioned an Aton impedance matching speaker selector that also offered volume control.

Found it - Aton DLA4 4-zone speaker selector with remote control

I think you'd be best off hiring a pro to make sure it's done right. Sometimes they will design a system for you, for a consulting fee, and you install. Call a few local AV installers. You don't want to screw this up - retrofitting/fixing a goof is much more expensive and a PITA.

You want the correct cabling so that your have lots of options for the future. Sure, you just want some volume controls in the wall now, but you may not want those VCs there in the future. And you may want better control of the source some day, from each zone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i want them all to be playing the same thing. Do not really have an interest of movies going through the whole house but music would be nice. That could be FM station from receiver on TV Channel playing music..

So i would just be paying them to tell me what equipment to buy? The only thing the developer is doing is running the speaker wire for me. Besides that i just need like two pieces of equipment right? Not counting the actual speakers that is.

Im not really considered with volume control on walls and stuff. If i can only control it from one remote from inside that is fine with me.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Someday, you may want different music playing in different zones, wtih control from each zone. A category cable run to an in-wall volume control location allows for futureproofing, if you ever decide you want keypads to replace volume controls. I have a family, we appreciate different music in different zones.

With an in-wall volume control you can control on/off in each zone, and adjust volume. You may want different volumes in different areas.

My house came with in-wall volume controls. I have replaced all of them with keypads, retrofitting the category cable.

If you don't want in-wall volume controls, and don't want to run the category cable, then you can always upgrade to a wireless sytem like Sono$, using your in-wall and in-ceiling speaker cables home-run to the closet/cabinet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.