1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3-6-16 update:
Well we are finally done and enjoying our home theater: final images
Enjoy!

link to full album start to finish: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.938520375808.1073741827.32702998&type=1&l=6f3ac9759f

update 1-1-16: carpet in.. sound system in.. chairs in... almost done. projector gets mounted tonight... SEE NEWEST POST AT BOTTOM FOR LATEST PICS

update (12/29/15) see bottom of page for latest post and update.. Almost Done!

Hello all, this is my first post and first attempt at a true* home theater. I have always enjoyed the theater experience and my living rooms have always been my theater and were always good quality for that aesthetic. However, I have the opportunity and the space to build my first dedicated theater. The best space in my house is my third floor/attic space. I would consider it a budget project. will be doing most of the handy work myself along with a contractor friend.

update (3/29/15):

Just finished the demo part of the project. below are some pics. Room is ready for electrician to come in next week and start wiring and lighting. Excited for that. Some changes to the ideas for projector and screen etc. Probably going with the Sony hw55es, Really loved the look of the Sony projectors when demoing them. And appreciate the manual/dynamic iris of the 55es over the 40es. Screen size is going to be 112" 2.35:1 Carada (probably, and probably Classic cinema white 1.0) Still a couple months away from all of that but its exciting getting this far. The plaster removal you see in the pics was an interesting week long experience. but it will be worth it to be able to run wires and have a clean look.

Room will be a dark red and black themed room, with blackout curtains and a completely controlled environment on the third floor. Very quiet up there which is nice. The screen will hang from the angled wall with some clever mounting opposite the window dormer. Viewing distance is between 9-10ft. Projector will sit in the dormer shown shelf mounted.
We are getting two recessed lights in the ceiling, and a over the stairs light but below the half wall so it can be left on without too much effect on the screen when we have guests. Will have an update once electric is in...

Room info:

14' x 15' with low 6' 8" ceilings
Room will be black and red themed with dark grey carpet. light controlled.
Planned gear:

Projector: Sony 55es ceiling mounted
Screen: 108" Carada Classic Cinema White 2.35:1
Audio: Onkyo 646 receiver w/ Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1 Speaker system (with floor standing fronts)
Sources: DirecTV, AppleTV, PS4"

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Basically my main question is: I can either fit a 92" 16:9 screen on the wall (would sit a little higher on wall than 2.35), or about a 103-105" 2.35:1 screen... Area wise they are very similar, but with the cinemascope widescreen my '16x9 diagonal' is about 83". I am a film lover, and have an estensive blu ray collection and prefer epic movies and sci/fi fantasy large sized dramas basically. So the 2.35 screen will get its use. Am I headed the right way here? I think the 83" 16x9 image would be suffice for my 8.5 foot main viewing distance...

Also: I am planning on getting the Epson 5030ub or 5025ub and mounting it on the ceiling. I have enough room to do that. Now I know this projector isnt the best for CIH setups but I love the image quality. Thought about the Panny pt-ae8000 as well, but I love the epson. I don't think I will mind setting up the projector for when I watch tv or switch back to 2.35.. again, thoughts?

I will be doing this throughout this spring/summer/fall and should be done by the NFL season (which is another factor, big NFL fan) so it really comes down to a few questions related to what is important i guess.
Tough call - but since you mentioned being a football fan, I wouldn't discount the 83" vs. 92" size difference for TV viewing. In my multipurpose room (where I watch most of my NFL Sunday Ticket), I upgraded the screen from 80" to 92" and really enjoyed the added size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just finished the demo, and am heading into the electric and lighting phase, see pics above. Put everything into first post. was easier that way I suppose. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Are any of the windows in the attic area 48" or so? Looking at this pic, it looks like drywall is going to be a challenge. Most drywall suppliers (not the box stores) have a boom truck that could lift right up to the attic area so that you could side it through the window. Even if you have to temporarily remove the window, it'd be worth it IMO.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Are any of the windows in the attic area 48" or so? Looking at this pic, it looks like drywall is going to be a challenge. Most drywall suppliers (not the box stores) have a boom truck that could lift right up to the attic area so that you could side it through the window. Even if you have to temporarily remove the window, it'd be worth it IMO.
Same issue for bringing in a large LCD or a screen with a rigid frame!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My construction friend said the hardest parts of the project would be the demolition and removal as well as bringing up the drywall. I wish there was a better option. Luckily I think we can get it up there. But will be a day full of sweat and probably some swearing! The windows are probably too small too get it up there that way. So we will have to do it the hard way.

Just did some measuring and it can fit through the door and the entire path to the door but will require 2-3 people when lifting almost vertical through the attic door and up into the space. We are a few weeks away from that and he is coming over this week to talk electric so I will ask his thoughts then. Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drywall fail

Well I just happened to have the Plywood in my garage, we had removed it from the attic earlier to start the work. However we had bent it to get it out. Today I tried to get it up there and wouldn't ya know it is a few inches too wide (the 4 foot sides) get caught on the stairs. But not by much. Debating the next steps. Construction friend is coming over tonight, and we will try and decide what to do... Electric is going in next week and then hopefully we will have the drywall mess suited out so we can start that work... Thanks for the helpful concerns. May get 12 inch portions and cut in half to 6 foot. Most of our walls will have a seam in it anyway. just gotta figure out what is best for each section...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
well a lot has happened since my last post.. we have made a lot of progress. Had to cut drywall in half to get it up the stairs.. but we insulated the room nicely.. and added some recessed lights.. and dedicated power lines.. and then had someone do the drywall for us.. some crazy angles up there. just finished the majority of painting. some touch ups to go.. carpet should be in this week.. this is a third floor/attic space that we converted and I think its coming along.. I already have most of the gear..

Went with a Carada classic cinema white 108" 2.35:1 screen.. and Sony HW55es projector.. just after the nice price break..

Originally was going to hang screen on angled wall.. But now hanging from Pillar/windows wall.. and mounting projector on ceiling.. More seating space horizontally.. and the screen doesnt cut down room size.
Viewing distance is 9-10 feet.

Here are some pics of the progress.. Hopefully by end of next week.. should have it up and running.. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
Nicely done, great space too.
Are you going to add acoustic panels? I'm just asking because in other similar attic type rooms I've seen they seem to be cover in panels!
I would think those angles would knock out any strange anomalies!

Djoel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah will wait and see on the panels. My speakers are basically in a square room right now and the echo/reverb is difficult so hopefully the angles knock it down. Next challenge is mounting screen on column. Usually the screen mounts on 4 foot long bracket but the column is about 16 inches. Hopefully it will be able to hold the screen. Or might have to find a workaround. I'm sure it can be done. Will see this weekend when we get there. Thanks for the comments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another step towards completion... carpet in and most of the gear hooked up. Projector goes in tonight when I get the extension tube needed to mount.. excited to see it on the screen...
The girlfriend is sewing the blackout curtains for the windows.. couldnt find them small enough for the small windows we have up there..

will post completed pics when finished..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Nicely done. That turned out great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts