AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and absorbing but I definitely need some advice from those with experience. This will be my first projector and screen.

I have a dedicated room 15' wide x 24' long with a 10' ceiling. Light beige carpeting, dark blue walls, dark brown ceiling, 10' wide bank of windows on NE wall and a 10' wide bank of windows on the NW wall. The 15' wide NE wall is where the screen will be located. I will have good light control when needed.

I would like to use a motorized 16x9 screen as wide as the windows (about 10 feet); so about 135" diagonal. The throw from lens to screen would be 14 feet based on the pre-wired location for a ceiling mounted projector.

The use will be balanced between movies, gaming and sports, so I do want enough lumens to handle ambient light. My budget for the projector is to stay under $3K; I expect to replace it after 2-4 years. I would like something bright to handle ambient light during gaming and sports. I can always use eco mode when I go to full light control for movies.

The screen is trickier since that seems like a long term investment since I can't go larger without encroaching on space for speakers and equipment. I would like to keep it under $2K but I am not sure if that is reasonable. The family has looked at DLP and nobody identified issues with rainbows. We are not interested in 3D.

Any advice on PJs or screens is appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well you have nice high ceilings so DLP will work (LCD would as well of course). Do some research here at AVS (all the popular PJs have their own threads) and try and see some PJ's in your area on demo to narrow your search. Your throw distance of 14 ft should work for most (some DLP would need to go back a foot or two to go 135").

Regarding screens, you have a myriad of options. You can buy from sponsor forums or try your hand at making one (visit the screen forums for advice).

My last tip is buy PJ and shoot on wall for a while so you can tinker with screen size, once set, go a buy screen.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
BenQ W6000 would be a great pick for a few reasons:

1) Well within your budget

2) 50,000:1 contrast ratio

3) 2500 lumens

The W6000 would be able to do the 14 feet throw with the zoom. It also features Picture in Picture options.

To quote a reputable review on the W6000 here are it's strengths:

* Rich, natural looking skin tones and overall very good color

* Extremely bright in "best" mode, brightest under $3500

* Brighter than average in "brightest" modes

* Very impressive black level performance using Dynamic Iris, but iris action can definitely be noticeable at times

* Very flexible placement abilities (for a DLP projector), with good zoom range and lens shift. Ceiling mount, rear shelf mount or table top

* ISF certified, with calibrator lockable ISF Day and ISF Night modes

* Supports an anamorphic lens, unlike two of its closest competitors

* A very serious contender for under $3000, should prove to be very popular

Here is the full review:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/w6000/index.php

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I think I will also look at the Epson 8350. If its paired with an Elite CineTension2 Cinegrey 135" screen, that should be a good bang for the buck. The black diamond looks like a good long term investment but they don't have a motorized option.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Just one note...ambient light is the enemy of front projection...no matter what projector. You can do certain things to help, but don't expect a stunning image during daytime with that kind of ambient light, unless you tame the windows with curtains and such.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fledwinter
I will have full light control - I just don't want to use cave mode during gaming and sports.
Lol, cave mode. I think the 8350 is a great get too, and since you've never had a projector I guess you have nothing to match off of. The 8350 is a great starter projector. You can always hop on over to the DLP Lilly pad when you're ready

1 - 8 of 8 Posts