AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have been reading and reading for a couple months, but there are such mixed opinions and pros and cons on everything that I thought I would post what my room is and everything and get some help.

We have a 20 ft x 20 ft room (living room) that has a kitchen connected to it via two always-open entrances/doorways, a hallway connected to it, and another big entrance/hallway leading to the front door that is always open (doesn't have a door or anything) and leads to the front door, and another sliding doorway that connects to another hall. So there are like five entrances or hallways connected to this room. Also, it has 9 ft. ceilings that turn into a tray ceiling or whatever it's called where it starts to pyramid upwards in the middle, and that goes to 10 ft. Our TV is in one corner of the room.

I have been looking at the ProCinema 800 system and the ProCinema 1000 system from Def Tech. I have read where lots of people like these systems, would the 1000 be enough for this room. We like it loud, it needs to really feel like a home theater.

That seems to be the best 1500$ system to me (the ProCinema 1000), what you guys think?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Agreed, the Def Tech system simply won't do what you want. The Hsu (which is made by BIC so I'd check their models as well) will do it much better. I'd also look at a Klipsch ICON system and upgrade the sub to a large one. The ICON system is Super dynamic and one of the few small systems that won't fall apart in larger spaces. Also very smooth and dynamic as heck (much smoother and more refined to my ears than the Hsu). 2 pair of the ICON WB-14, matching Center and a AV-123 MFW-15 on their sale will utterly destroy the Def Tech system in a larger space.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cnet claims the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K has good processing and is about the best buy in the $400-$500 range. I have given it some consideration - I too am finally going the home theatre route - except I keep running into points at that price point that just don't quite make the grade. I'm thinking of something around the $800/900 price point. Denon AVR2310CI, Pioneer Elite VSX23TXH, or possibly a new Onkyo TX-SR707.

I've got a mess. My family room/reborn home theater is 15-1/2'W x 23'L with a 13.5'W x 15' which adds more or less to a room 38 foot long. But then the ceiling slopes from 8foot on the viewing right (where the wall changes from a hard brick fireplace to curtained sliding glass doors on either side) to 14foot on the viewers left (which has some substantial holes in the center). Assuming an 11 foot ceiling that gives me HWL ratios of 1:1.36:3.45. I'm hoping the bar in the kitchen acts at least in part as an accoustic wall. But it's still a holey mess.

I've got some great, but old Pioneer speakers and a good set of old Infinity IIb speakers all of which come from a time when I bought a stereo system for both my mother and myself in the mid-late 1970s. Both are wonderful loudspeakers for stereo. The Pioneers excel in the base and the Infinitys have great highs (I think that was the time of the first 'eletrostatic(?) tweeters') and sound real smooth.... But using them seems problematical for DTV.

I hooked the Infinities up for sound back in the 90s and I had some problems. It might have been my older receiver, a late 70s Marantz stereo or it might have been problems with shielding, I don't know. At any rate at 17 to 18 inches wide these speakers cause for some problems on the wall I want to, or rather need to put the TV on.

Space would be cramped unless I could find a good cabinet about 54 inches wide. But I've fallen in love with the Standout Designs Horizon N702+ and at 70 inches that cabinet means I only have about 10 inches on either side for speakers. I've fudged around with Salamander Synergy configurations, possibly with a bridge for the TV (their mounts cost too much) but the idea of where the center channel speaker goes (and how wide it will be???) get in the way.

Lately, I've been thinking about Aperion speakers, the series 6, for left/right towers and center and maybe some small Energy CR-100s for surround (2, 4? in a 7.1). The surrounds have to be put in some inopportune spots (at about 7'4" above sliding glass doors or cut-out openings) and I'm thinking that two of them close together (about 4 foot apart one directly to the side and the other 4 foot back of the seating area) might be a good way of going... sort of a comprimise. But then I started looking at the speakers and the Aperion 6Ts are somewhat analogous to the Energy RC-50s (think that was it, off the top of my head). The Energys might be a bit higher priced but their stats seem to be a bit better. So, I'm thinking to myself, why not go with the Energys all-around. The center has better stats and it is smaller (width) than the Aperion 6C, so maybe I could finagle a Synergy triple cabinet with their TV mount, active cooling, extra shelves?

Eh... sorry, just thinking outloud.

Cabinet must hold:

AV-Receiver

Dish DVR 722 (which demands active cooling)

HD-DVD DVR (Phillips/Sylvania) for recording off air.

BD Player

Power Conditioner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts