AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some input between a few HTIB's and receivers that I've been looking at. My wife and I just purchased our first home and am excited about finally being able to wire our own system in the house. I'm looking to spend less than $600 for the receiver and speakers. Also, wasn't sure if I should go with a "cheaper" 7.2 system or "better" 5.1 system. The few that I've been looking at are the:

Denon DHT590BA - seems like a nice system, but not sure about the Boston Acoustics speakers that it comes with. I listened to it in the store and it sounded "muffled". Certainly wasn't the ideal setup (retail store on the shelf attached to a cd player).

Yamaha YHT-391BL - less expensive and didn't seem to get as good of reviews. I liked the price on this one though, but not sure how this compares to the Denon setup.

Onkyo HT-RC160 (receiver only) - Liked this one as well, but not sure if I could keep it under $600 with decent speakers. If so, this would definitely be an option (probably the first option if I could make it happen with speakers).

Onkyo HT-S6200 - Just outside of the price range, but willing to consider it if best out of these 4.

The setup wouldn't be too complicated. Currently have a Samsung Blu-Ray, HD cable box and Sony Bravia TV. I wouldn't mind having to have separate audio connections to the receiver if I need to (vs. HDMI running video through the receiver). With other receivers in the past, I've just used optical audio. HDMI might be simpler (and less connections) so would consider running everything that way if I find a receiver that will accept HDMI audio.

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated and I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Check accesories4less for refurbed Onkyo HTiB. They should have the 6200 and 7200 in shortly. The 6200 is $450 but im not sure about the 7200.

ive ordered from them before and everything was flawless. great way to save money

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hahahaha i'll hit up another thread with my vote for the Denon DHT 590BA. They are really decent speakers that come with it. Before i bought the system i figured hey i'll upgrade the speakers when i have the money. But now a few months later i don't really see the need they are plenty clear and loud for me. Even the sub is really good. enough to feel the bass vibrating thru the couch and really feel it watching blurays.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
part of your equipment spec's should be - "do I want to process audio over the HDMI cable, and use lossless HD audio codecs if available on a blu-ray DVD ?"

If you plan to add a blu-ray DVD player, then I suggest you consider only units with receivers that can process the audio from a single HDMI connection.

the Denon HDT590BA HTiB, Onkyo S6200 HTiB can

the Onkyo RC-160 receiver can, as can the Onkyo SR507 receiver

The Yamaha YHT-391 can not ! You would have to move up to the YHT-591 HTiB

I think you choice is between the Denon HDT590BA and the Onkyo S6200

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the input. I do have a Blu-Ray/DVD player, so audio through the HDMI may be the way to go. I'll probably cross the Yamaha off the list and decide between the other mentioned. Thanks again for the help, it's much appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts