AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm buying a new house and having it built, in the basement I'm having it built to the fact I want a very simple home theater. I want to hang a projector and invest in a decent sound system. With the walls open I want to run my speaker wire and HDMI for the projector to hang.

What I'm kind of looking to find here is a little bit of direction on where I can read and advice. Mainly I'm just unsure of the projector. Things such as how far back would it have to be hung, is a screen necessary or is it common to display a picture on the wall? Is there any other questions I should be asking my self?

·
Registered
573 Posts
How far back will depend on your projector. Ask yourself how much you want to spend and then go from there. Once you pick your projector look it up in the projector calculator and it will tell you how big of an image you will get at a certain distance. Its a very handy tool. My Mitsubishi hc1500 will throw a 120" image at 15'9" just as a reference. Most should be pretty close to that, but will need to be verified before you start installing cables.

You can use a wall but I prefer at least a diy screen. It depends how much you want to spend. You can make a screen from wilsonart countertop material for about $100 and the image is great. Or you can spend well over a $1,000 on a screen on the internet.

Run all the cables plus a back up of your main cable just in case the one you're using fails. www.monoprice.com is a great site to buy cables for for cheap. They will perform just as good as any higher priced cables.

Imo it sounds like you have a lot to learn. Just keep reading this site and you will get the info you need. Searching will also help as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts