AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys, I have used this site to calibrate my TV's and displays in the past, but decided to register as I am putting together my first home stereo. I will primarily be listening to music from my computer with the occasional movie on my TV. This is going in a bedroom that is approx. 18x12. I have access a TON of 60's, 70's, and 80's amps, preamps, eq's and speakers (pioneer, bose, altec, phase linear, etc). My dad collects and restores that stuff, and told me I am welcome to "borrow" a pair of speakers and whatever other equipment I may need. I haven't gone through his collection yet, but when I do I will come back and let you guys know what he's got and get some advice on what I should use. Now onto the DIY part of this...

As the title says, I know quite a bit about car audio, but not too much about HT. I want to put together a subwoofer that gives me a lot of bass (In my vehicle I have a pair of 18 inch woofers with 320oz motors powered by a 4300 watt amp. It plays down to 30hz pretty well.) What do you guys think about using a car audio subwoofer in home? I would really like to incorporate at least 1 piece of car audio into this, and I can get this woofer for about $50. http://www.soundqubed.com/HDS215_p_223.html

Not a lot of specs on the website as this is a new low end model that recently released.(I've got their HDC3's in my vehicle) Do you think this paired up with (see link below) would give me decent output? They also have a model without the 6db boost, which is better? I know that's a low end plate amp, but it has decent reviews, and like most, I'm on a budget if I want to put this together anytime soon.

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd500-6-500w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-with-6-db-at-25-hz--301-514  

Here's the enclosure I was thinking about putting together.

Am I on the right track here? Look forward to hearing some educated mind's thoughts.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Most car subs aren't natively designed to work well in HT. They count on heavily cabin gain. Car subs have fs around 30-35hz and HT subs around 18--25hz. In the HT realm, playing low is 10-15 hz, and almost all DIY subs easily hit 20hz. 30Hz would be laughed at. This is mainly because music is fine with 30Hz systems, but movie tracks have loads of content below 30hz.

Some car subs can work in HT, but not many. With EQ, you can get more car subs to fit the HT world, but that often requires sealed boxes, tons of power, and high excursion.

I would not use the sub you linked at all. There are far more appropriate drivers to use for HT.

Car subs that you do see in HT would be the Re XXX15/18 and sometimes JL 7W series.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

What 15 inch driver would you suggest? I listened to a klipsch 12 inch "600" watt woofer and I definitely want more than that. I understand that I will never come close to getting the spl I have in my vehicle in a house. I'm open to multiple woofer setups if the woofers arent too expensive.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Stereo Integrity has their 15" D4 subs right now for about $145 plus shipping. Really good subs. I have 2 of the 18" ones and a lot of people around here use them and have great things to say about them. What budget where you looking at, because the Klipsch are not cheap.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez  /t/1519929/first-ht-setup-coming-from-the-car-audio-world#post_24411547

Two questions. How big of a box can you accommodate? What is your driver(s) + amp budget?

Wish I could type faster. You beat me to the questions!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

About. 10 cubic feet gross volume is as big as I would care to go. (roughly 2.5hx2wx2d). I was really hoping to keep the cost of amp + woofer under 250. Any feedback on that amp I posted earlier? 500w for $150 seems like a good deal IMO. I've already got plenty of 3/4 mdf and materials laying around.

As far as the cost of the Klipsch, I actually talked my dad into getting that woofer because it was only $199.99 on amazon last week. Do you guys think it's possible to out perform that woofer with my budget?

·
Registered
822 Posts
the klipsch can be a good woofer, but we need the T/S specs to model it. Can you link the exact one? For $199, I would have directed you to something else, but it's too late for that. You said $250 for woofer+ amp, then you said you already paid $200 for a woofer. Does that now leave $50 for an amp?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Sorry for the confusion, earlier in the thread I said I listened to a klipsch subwoofer and I would like to put something together that out performs that setup. The  Klipsch that I heard can be had for $199.99 dollars. I was asking if for $250, I will be able to put something together that will be better than the Klipsch. I have not yet purchased anything, my dad has the Klipsch that I keep talking about. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VIWK0G/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=36163107760&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4642241281168513249&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_qo03ij3j6_b

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancep  /t/1519929/first-ht-setup-coming-from-the-car-audio-world#post_24415943

About. 10 cubic feet gross volume is as big as I would care to go. (roughly 2.5hx2wx2d). I was really hoping to keep the cost of amp + woofer under 250. Any feedback on that amp I posted earlier? 500w for $150 seems like a good deal IMO. I've already got plenty of 3/4 mdf and materials laying around.

As far as the cost of the Klipsch, I actually talked my dad into getting that woofer because it was only $199.99 on amazon last week. Do you guys think it's possible to out perform that woofer with my budget?

If you have 2 18"s in your car then I suggest you go as big as you can and probably ported otherwise you're not likely to be happy. Bass is easy to make in a vehicle but to be satisfied in a house requires a lot of woofage.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
You said $250 for woofer+ amp, then you said you already paid $200 for a woofer. Does that now leave $50 for an amp?

: )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts