AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm looking to build my first HTPC. I currently have all my media on a 2TB drive on my computer and have it setup in my bedroom. It works OK - I have it setup with XBMC and use the iphone remote to control it. I also have a boxee box in the living room that gets the media via SMB.

The problem: I want my computer back, as a computer, heh...Also my 2 TB drive is almost full and I have no more room in my PC.

What I'd like to do is have a nice HTPC in my living room (if small enough), or have the HTPC in my bedroom (if i go with the mid tower)...then have the boxee box in the other room. I want to make it so that it lasts a while and will be able to stream to a few bedrooms at once when I upgrade to more rooms. However, I don't want to go overboard as I'm definitely not rich. I'd also like the ability to rip blue ray. I'll also be running couchpotato and sickbeard from this machine. It would be nice if it could play some games like WoW - not sure I'd use it but it'd be nice.

Here's what I'm looking at for the moment:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case - $60 (I like this because of the ability to expand the HDs so much as I'm sure I'll need more in the future after I get all of my DVD/BD collection on this.

Processor: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-3570K-Processor-cores-BX80637I53570K/dp/B007SZ0E1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341858131&sr=1-1&keywords=ivy+bridge - $230

Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI - $150

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit - $97

SSD: Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - $105

3.5 HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB - $150 (I'll also throw in my 2 TB from my other computer).

Blue-Ray Drive: Pioneer Electronics USA Internal BD Writer - $76

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks very much for any thoughts! I've done some reading, but definitely new to this arena.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's what Assasin says in the neighbor "8 or 16GB" thread:

"You may need 8GB if you have (or are planning to have) WMC extenders.

16GB is completely unnecessary."

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
If you're worried about cost, you're spending way too much (and way more than you need) on cpu and motherboard.

Not too mention way too much on ram.

And you're missing a power supply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments and not shanking me for my ineptness. Anyway, that's good news...

Revision:

Case: - Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case - $60

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz - $120

Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z68 Micro ATX LGA 1155 - $120

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz - $50

SSD: Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - $105

3.5 HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB - $150

Blue-Ray Drive: Pioneer Electronics USA Internal BD Writer - $75

Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Series 500W ATX12V - $40

----

This more in line with what I'm looking for? Looks nicer at $720...but I guess I'd still need to buy cables and a remote.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Power supply is still way too big and you can do better. Check Assassins guide for recommendations for a quality 350-400W model. Too big means it won't ever operate efficiently and 500w is way more than you need for this build.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020  /t/1419504/first-htpc-build-need-assistance/0_50#post_22204278

Power supply is still way too big and you can do better. Check Assassins guide for recommendations for a quality 350-400W model. Too big means it won't ever operate efficiently and 500w is way more than you need for this build.

Echo this, and it's pretty rare for anyone to need a BD Writer. You can shave another $30 and go with a reader, also I'd echo Assassin's recommendation for the Lite-on BD-R

Discs are a lost storage format these days. IMO its a lot faster cheaper to go out and buy a portable hard drive or flash drive if you need to give somebody large files. Disc handoffs are a thing of the past. Most BD-R combo drives will still include a DVD writer for the parents or grandparents who want to pop-in a dvd.

Core i3 can be had cheaper from Directron if Microcenter isn't near you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts