AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just finished building my first pc from scratch. Here's my problem: After boot up and windows switches from it's loading screen to the desktop I get really bad screen flicker. It gets progressively worse from 800x600 res up to my tvs 1920x1080 native where it's pretty much an all blue screen. At lower resolutions it gets worse if you move the mouse and better if there's a window open on the desktop. My nvidia control panel is set to 60hz and my tv works fine on the same input on any other source.

Here's what I've troubleshooted so far:

Changed monitors, cables, reinstalled win7, reinstalled vista, ran memtest and rma'd the motherboard.

Here's my complete setup:

ECS GF8200a mobo

AMD 7850 Athlon X2 black

OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB Ram 2x2gb

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W

1tb WD Green

Hauppauge 2250

LG BD Combo drive

Silverstone black aluminum htpc case

It's all connected via hdmi1.3 cables to a onkyo 705 and then to a sony sxrd xbr2.

Funny thing is it ran fine for about two weeks and then it started.

Any help would be appreciated thanks,

Miataguy

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What release of Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia Website are you running?

What interface are you using to your TV, VGA, comonent, HDMI, etc.?

What make/model TV?

Are you using more then one display? If yes how are they confitured?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/16974180

What release of Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia Website are you running?

What interface are you using to your TV, VGA, comonent, HDMI, etc.?

What make/model TV?

Are you using more then one display? If yes how are they confitured?

Thanks for posting so quick,

- I downloaded the latest nvidia driver 190.38 and that didn't make any difference.

- I'm HDMI to the onkyo and then hdmi to the tv. I ran vga out of the computer to a standard monitor and it made no difference. I also ran hdmi straight to the tv and no change there either.

- The tv is a sony 60" xbr2 sxrd. All the inputs work with all other sources with no problem including the input the computer comes in on with a different source. Toshiba HDDVD through the onkyo to the tv on the same input as computer displays perfect. Also swapped cables around and they worked fine on other devices so no problem there either.

- Only one display.

If it helps, windows can tell there's something wrong also, just not how to fix it. My score in the my computer screen is 1.0 for graphics but 5.x+ for everything else.

Miataguy

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
If your score for graphics is 1.0 it sounds like the GFX isnt really doing its job. Do you have an old video card lying around where you can use that for display and see if its an issue with the onboard gfx.

Have you messed around in the bios to make sure that everything is enabled and theres not some weird setting.

I had issues with nvidias latest 190 driver and ended up rolling back to a previous version.

Man I read the first 5 pages of reviews (out of 30 pages) and this mobo has a lot of issues. Heres some that could relate.
Quote:
For some reason, resolution above 720p would not display (1080p) and lock up my monitor using the HDMI output. VGA output displayed all resolutions, but there was ghosting on all settings. Updated GPU drivers and .inf files for monitor to no avail. Oddly enough, a HDMI to DVI cable solved my problems. XP Pro recognized it as a DVI connection.

Cons: issues at every turn.. the onboard video is terrible. the onboard audio is worse than even i could have imagined. the lan software is buggy. the manual is in need of a good copy editor, and in some areas it must have been written by a stupid.

Other Thoughts: i can't believe i fell for this. these guys at ecs should be ashamed of themselves. my review form wouldn't close till i gave them at least 1 egg. they don't deserve it. they owe me an egg.

Cons: Had trouble getting the graphics to work with the driver cd that came with it. Had to go to the NVIDIA website to get a driver that would work.

Cons: GPU gets extremely hot & shuts down system after a while. The 1st time I ordered this MB, is was DOA, Newegg sent me a second MB & it has three bad Sata ports & neither PCI slots work. Called for refund & was told not eligible now... Will never order ECS junk again.

But I think these last 2 may have your answer
Quote:
CONS: GPU Gets HOT!! I burnt myself a couple times. Hopefully doesn't caust problems down the road.

-After I installed drivers, The screen would randomly flicker especially if I dragged windows around. After hours of trying to figure it out, it turned out to be a setting in the BIOS that was set to 200 when it needed to be set to AUTO. (This might be my fault as I can't remember if I changed it initially)

-REMEMBER ONLY 95WATT CPU!

CONS: Latest board had some graphical issues out of the box, but a simple Bios flash and everthing is A-OK.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My case temps are fine, and though I'm not sure how you check the gpu temp on this board, but everything happens at start up on whether it's cold or hot.

I know what version of the nvidia drivers I installed, but how do I actually lookup what drivers windows is using? If I look under my computer and hardware it shows a generic monitor (i assume because it can't recognize the onkyo) and under that is shows generic windows drivers. Is this the same as the video drivers?

I'll try flashing the latest bios and report back.

Miataguy

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
I was more talking about the bios settings then the heat issue. Was that modo recommended on this site? The reviews are pretty bad on newegg.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/16978194

I was more talking about the bios settings then the heat issue. Was that modo recommended on this site? The reviews are pretty bad on newegg.

No it wasn't recommended.
But it was part of a package deal with the processor and memory that basically made it free. I checked around on flashing the bios when I got home and came across something about setting HT Frequency of Advanced Setup in BIOS to [Auto]. I don't know what that means but it was set at 200mhz and now in Auto the flicker is gone at all resolutions. However my windows score is still at 1.0 for both video categories.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow. Thanks for the tips about the bios - in searching for how to flash the bios it led me in the right direction.

Miataguy

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miataguy /forum/post/16978977

No it wasn't recommended.
But it was part of a package deal with the processor and memory that basically made it free. I checked around on flashing the bios when I got home and came across something about setting HT Frequency of Advanced Setup in BIOS to [Auto]. I don't know what that means but it was set at 200mhz and now in Auto the flicker is gone at all resolutions. However my windows score is still at 1.0 for both video categories.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow. Thanks for the tips about the bios - in searching for how to flash the bios it led me in the right direction.

Miataguy

Yah that was the setting the review talked about, good luck, but like the guy above if it worked then had an issue it cant be good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.