AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put together a PC that I intend to use as a HTPC, but for some reasonI cant seem to get any resolution on the TV without some overscan (the edges at the top, bottom, and both sides).

My setup is as follows:

MSI 785GTM-E45 mobo

EVGA nvidia 9500GT video card PCI-e

Liteon Blu-ray player

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit

Powerdvd8

Sony Plasma TV KE-MX37A1

The mobo has ATI4200 graphics onboard, but I got the nvidia 9500GT card just to get the component output at 1080i. My TV is older and it does not have a HDMI, VGA, or DVI input. All I have is component input. The TV also does not have the just scan or actual pixel feature.

I have tried all built in resolutions on the nvidia control panel and all of them have some amount of overscan on all sides. The Windows media center though seems to fix the resolution itself and looks great after i went through the TV setup.

Now while I can get a complete screen at about 1125 x 696 at 720p i need to get to a resolution higher than 1024 x 768 so that powerdvd8 can even start.

Doing a custom resolution in the 1080i resolutions helps a little but i get serious flickering and fuzziness in the image on the TV screen and a resolution.

Maybe I am issing something in the nvidia control panel, but I am not getting much success with it and am getting ready to return the card. It does not like to center the screen either so to get to point where i can see all the edges, i see black bars on two sides.

Can anyone suggest a video card that can maybe help with my problems? I am even open to try any suggestions on setup of the HTPC to alleviate the overscan issue. Already tried powerstrip and it does'nt seem to like the nvidia card.

Please help. I didn't realize HTPC to TV resolution setup would be so hard.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I have a RPTV and use component in. The over/underscan feature is hosed in Windows7 with Nvidia driver over component. I just set the PC to 1920x1080i @ 150% zoom for the desktop. I reduced overscan down to 3% in the TV's service menu.

37" Sony Plasma? Haven't seen one of those in years. I know you paid some SERIOUS early adopter tax on that one, but it may be time to demote that TV to the bedroom and upgrade your living room display. The good news is you can buy a 52" TV for 1/3 of what the Sony cost

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you on the TV replacement. I already did that and now I have a local dimming LED TV for less than what I paid for the Sony.

I still cant get myself to get rid of the Sony though. The PQ is still awesome. So its gonna on top the fireplace and do some light duty playing photo slide shows, home movies off the home server and the occasional dvd or blu-ray, hence the need for HTPC.

I guess not many still connect their HTPC to TV via component any more. I am still confused about the WMC though. How can it configure the video card to display properly and the video card driver can't?

What settings is WMC changing? Anyone know?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts