AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to get my first HTPC following the recommended list of June 2010.

CPU: Core i3 530 2.93GHz LGA1156

CPU Cooler: Stock cooler

Motherboard: ASRock H55M/USB3 LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX

Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB Kit

Graphics Card (Optional): Sapphire HD 5670 GDDR5 512MB 100287L

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ST3500418AS SATA 3.0Gbps 7200 RPM

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply.

Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black microATX, with LCD/IR receiver/remote, $140.

I substituted the Corsair 550VX because the 450 is not in stock.

I am older and not completely computer savvy. Are these systems easy to set up? More or less just plug and play? Or will I have to load software etc.

Also I would need a wireless keyboard and mouse, any recomendations without spending alot of money?

My uses will be movies from Netflix, UniversalSports alpine skiiing, Pandora for music and of course probably other things I'm not even aware of yet.

Thanks for any help

Moto

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not all too familiar with the recent stuff as I have not been into computers in quite some time.

Anyways, I've seen bigbox stores sell wireless keyboard and mouse combo for as little as 30$. Also, I would invest in a good cpu cooler just to be on the safe side. I've never trusted the "oem" ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You don't really need the video card, if this is strictly an HTPC. The onchip video from the Core i3 is completely adequate for video playback, it just sucks for gaming. If you're not going to be gaming with this system, you don't need to add a video card. I'm currently using the onchip video on my Core i3 540, and it does fine for playback of everything I have, including 1080p material.

For a keyboard and mouse, you have lots of options. Do you want miniature, or full size? Built in trackball/trackpad, or separate mouse? There are even some remotes coming out that have built in qwerty keyboards.

Modern computer systems are very easy to build, but it's all relative. I've been building computers for about twenty years, so I remember when it used to be a total pain in the ass. Nowadays, everything is pretty much plug and play. There are always things to watch out for, but there are lots of YouTube tutorials you can watch to see how things are done.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, no point in spending money on the video card if it isn't necessary. I don't do any gaming.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse know but it is kind of clunky. I think I will get by with it for the time being. But I want a mouse and full size keyboard not trackball. If I do decide to get one what is an inexpensive and decent one.

Thanks

Moto

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 /forum/post/19522300

I am assuming I will also need Windows 7 Home Premium Edition as well. Is this correct?

Moto

Yes, you will.

And that makes it more expensive.

It is easier to just buy an off-the-shelf system because it will come with an OS license.

If you shop 'Refurbished' you can pick up a system for less than $400 which will include, MB, CPU, RAM, Hard Drive, DVD Burner, PSU and the OS.

Then just take the guts out and transfer them to a HTPC case of your choice.

Regarding MB-CPU, you can go AMD and save a few $$ especially if you don't need nor want HD audio at this time.

An AMD MB-CPU combo can go as low as $80 and many of the boards have the ATI HD 4250 video controller with HDMI.

It just lacks 8-ch LPCM and PAP. But again that can be added later on as a video card ($20) if you wish.

Regarding stock coolers, I have never used anything but stock HS&F. I buy Retail boxed CPUs and the HS&F that come with it is more than adequate. its manufacturer supplied so if something goes wrong they are obliged to replace the CPU. (I have had it done once with an Intel P4).

The only advantage of having an aftermarket assembly is in noise levels. The stock fans will not be as silent as a good quality aftermarket fan.

If all you do is use your CPU for normal tasks and don't overclock it, you should be fine with a stock HSF.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

Would I get any performance increase from going with a higher end CPU, for example the i5-750 Lynnfield over the i3-530 Clarkdale. At about $80 more it would be worth it to me if there is a noticeable difference.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 /forum/post/19526991

Thanks for the help guys.

Would I get any performance increase from going with a higher end CPU, for example the i5-750 Lynnfield over the i3-530 Clarkdale. At about $80 more it would be worth it to me if there is a noticeable difference.

Thanks again.

For video viewing, you won't see any improvement with a higher end CPU. Clearly not $80 worth of improvement. Either the video plays without stuttering or it doesn't (but with the I3, you should be able to handle everything). The improved CPU would help if you were gaming, or if you were ripping and encoding DVDs and blu-rays, or doing other processor intensive activities. HD video watching, especially with video acceleration, is not processor intensive. My lower end AMD setup maxes out around 15% cpu usage with 1080p.

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,803 Posts
I really want to get a HTPC to go with my projector. I wanted to know some recommendations. I want to of course use it for the internet from time to time, but most importantly, I want to watch streamed internet like YouTube, NBA League Pass, and my ripped blu rays. I'm not too concerned with gaming, but I do want a good picture that is 1080p for my blu rays. Any good suggestions on what I should get?

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 /forum/post/19528075

I really want to get a HTPC to go with my projector. I wanted to know some recommendations. I want to of course use it for the internet from time to time, but most importantly, I want to watch streamed internet like YouTube, NBA League Pass, and my ripped blu rays. I'm not too concerned with gaming, but I do want a good picture that is 1080p for my blu rays. Any good suggestions on what I should get?

Those aren't actually very taxing for most modern CPUs, so nearly anything could handle it. For HTPC use, most people look for good built in graphics. Intel's Core i3, or AMD's 4200HD will handle HD/Bluray just fine. This will allow you to keep your system cool and quiet.

On streamed material, most people are limited by their internet connection more than anything.

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoka /forum/post/0

Those aren't actually very taxing for most modern CPUs, so nearly anything could handle it. For HTPC use, most people look for good built in graphics. Intel's Core i3, or AMD's 4200HD will handle HD/Bluray just fine. This will allow you to keep your system cool and quiet.

On streamed material, most people are limited by their internet connection more than anything.

Thanks, I just looked at the Asrock Vision 3D and I liked what I read about it. I will be getting the JVC RS40, so I would love a 3D HTPC. Also, the cost of it is very reasonable

1 - 12 of 12 Posts