AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am ready to build my first home theatre pc and i would like some input on the hardware i am planning to purchase. Here is a list of the stuff i plan to buy. Uses of the HTPC are:

DVD playback to Sharp 9000 projector

Download/storage of MP3 files to play thru audio system, Lexicon/Krell/ML

Recording/playback of High Definition satellite material

Web browsing/email capabilities

Some gaming

BTW, a 36" Sony XBR will be used for a display so I'm looking for a good transcoder now.

Equipment I'm considering:

- Cooler Master ATC-600-VX2 case

- PIONEER INTERNAL ATAPI 16X DVD-ROM

- IBM EIDE HARD DRIVE 60GB 7200RPM

- Crucial Micron 512MB 64x64 PC2100 DDR RAM

- Gigabyte GA-7VRXP VIA KT333 5P1A3D RAID MOTHERBOARD

- AMD ATHLON XP 2000+/266 FSB PROCESSOR

- CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER BLASTER AUDIGY MP3+

- Asus V8170 DDR Geforce 4 MX440 DDR 64mb TV-out

please reply any suggestions or changes to my HTPC. Am I spending my money the "best way". I could have gotten a faster chip/board but this is quick and the $ I'm saving helps me get other features.

Dave

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You could choose better and cheaper cards than the Audigy.

Besides that, looks decent. I believe the GF4 you chose is the one with the 10 bit DACs.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm new to HTPC too, but i've learned quite a bit while building my first one... here are a few suggestions:

1. Seagate Barracuda IV HD instead of the IBM

2. If you really care about the sound quality, go with a better sound card (like the M-Audio Delta Dio 24/96 -- although it's NOT a game card).

3. Making a quiet machine that stays cool can be challenging. xcel has posted many good ideas about how to do this! (check out his Best in class post)

4. Check out the Audio Authority transcoder (look on digitalconnection.com).

5. Lots of people on these boards seem to like the ATI Radeon series of cards for their excellent HTPC performance, but make sure you get a "built by ATI" card.

I actually posted my HTPC specs a few weeks ago and got great feedback from a lot of people.. search for "HTPC Specs" and you should find it.

My biggest recommendation would be to do your homework before going out and spending $$$. Check out what other people are building, and why (look at the specs of the machines from digitalconnection, it's a great starting point!)

Hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
856 Posts
How do you plan to record and playback HDTV satellite material? I was under the impression that the only HDTV that could be recorded was OTA ... or where you talking about recording HDTV signal in non-HDTV format?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.