AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: 38t - "t" is for teerrific! I love this new projector! The colors are incredible and better than direct view. The brightness is exactly like watching a huge direct view (that no one has ever seen)and so much better than rear projection. Same with the contrast ratio, it's just like TV. And blacks are really black. All those "lousy" DVD's now look terrific, and the differences are now only in such things as graininess. I don't have any that are too low in contrast or too dark to watch anymore. HD is perfect. The picture is perfect with a 1.3 gain screen. The wife can read while my son and I watch. It syncs with HD instantaneously. The detail brought out by the contrast, brightness and color is like watching well known movies for the first time. Warning: the detail is so good that production flaws you have never seen might draw your attention. As an example: special effects backgrounds start looking really fake when compared to the live forground. I don't think LCD versus DLP involves a trade-off as to screen door any more due to the effect of a properly focused MLA. The factory presets look great, except you have to knock the green down about 10 notches. This is the real thing. My family just stares in amazement. I drilled the old mount and used a thin oak plywood board to adapt to the projector and it works perfectly. I love the remote, with all the controls for zoom, focus and keystone and the power off/cool down feature. Did I mention that there are absolutely no dead or stuck pixels? The future is here! High lumens, high contrast, super color and no screen door. WOW!

------------------

Joe

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I suppose I should tip my hat to [email protected] He has done it again. Great advice and great price. He sold me my LP350/Boxlight CD555m about a year ago, and when I got the itch to get to the next level, he gave me the lowdown. Boy was he right! Thanks Hank! My face hurts from grinning!

------------------

Joe

·
Registered
154 Posts
I must agree that Hank is amazing but I am not having the same success with my projector. As I posted elsewhere, skin tones are too red, there is a green shadow around the fringe of faces, and I have three large green lint blurs that I can not remove through vacuuming. Any help on how to solve these would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
If you don't have a gray screen, get one. It will only look better.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How could that be? My blacks are very satisfying, and when lighting strikes in a scene, my hair stands up!

------------------

Joe (Boy am I sick of reregistering!)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Don Stewart and I tried an XP21N at the Stewart facility with a half-Grayhawk/half-matte screen with the light on and it made a huge difference. Don Stewart is so impressed with the difference that he made the split screen in ambient demo part of the Infocomm Grayhawk marketing.

A lot of it has to do with the grayness of the screen. People don't believe it until they try it. Colors don't look as washed out for a high ambient level. Your eyes accept the change in white level as being white.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
846 Posts
Joe,

As we've posted about previously, it's the relativeness that really matters. I mean let's face it, we were both happy with the blacks on the LP350.

However!...if you ever want to see excellent DLP blacks, take a look at the LT150. The blacks on my grayhawk were the best I've seen in LCD/DLP projectors to date. I didn't think it would matter til I saw it.

--Les

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Les, your XGA DLP can definitely make it hard to accept normal LCD fill, but that advantage pretty much dissappears with the micro-lens array. When you also consider the blacks, brightness, contrast and color, the advantages of this particular machine greatly outweigh the theoretical advantage of the DLP fill advantage. Oddly enough, the increases in contrast, brightness and color actually bring out much more detail in many ways. And I was getting tired of sitting in the dark, having many movies and scenes with inadequate clarity, and having it be essentially useless in the daytime.

------------------

·
Registered
846 Posts
Joe,

Hey, we're glad to have you back! Well, I am anyway.

And I'm glad you're enjoying your new toy. The XP21N has been a very popular projector around here for a while and I'm sure you'll make great use of it.

--Les

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Les. Okay, now who isn't glad?

------------------

·
Registered
350 Posts
Joe,

How much is the Boxlight version of XP21N?

Walter

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$5,800.00 U.S.

------------------

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
There are two places on projectorcentral.com that have the Sanyo XP21N for $5495. I bet if you asked for bids, you could get it for about $100 cheaper.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
can any of you guys do some screenshots ? I would like to see how it resolves movies such as GLADIATOR, DARK CITY, etc.

thanks

David

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't have a digital camera (too slow for me). But Gladiator is phenomenal.

------------------

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
a regular camera will do http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif kidding.

see, I'm willing to change my old lcd. at first, it's CRT but I want a bigger image: currently I have 3meter dalite but I want a microperforated 2.35:1 screen, 3.90m width ( 166" diagonal ), constant height rule.

that Sanyo is haunting me http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif but I'd be so happy to see some screenshots, even though screenshots are not well reflecting reality. with a 2.35 Cygnus lens, this projector should be a threat ( with HTPC ).

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I needed to edit the info in this thread because I had confused the pixelization I had seen without the Quadscan Elite with screen door. All the above presumes the use of the QSE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.