AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I want to say this is not a formal review, this is just a trial and I am glad to share my feeling with you.

I test the piano yesterday evening, in my bedroom and throw the image to the wall.

I use SONY S345D DVD Player, with Ycbcr cable, the Size of image is 70¡¨ and I stand 3 meters away.

The software: Region1: Crouch Tiger, Hidden Dragon, A bug¡¦s life, Saving Private Ryan, Twister, The Fifth Element, True Lies, Speed, Ronin

Region 3: The Matrix, Deep Blue Sea, and Air Force One. Mars Attacks.

I use these movies because I was very familiar with their picture performance.

I saw some other projectors but most of them in the exhibition, so I want to compare piano with Mitsubishi SA51, I saw this in vendor¡¦s show room, I remember its performance very well.

I confirmed with PLUS that the power I mentioned before is no longer a problem, turned on the piano I was very impressed with its quiet sound design, it is really quiet, you are very hard to find the noise even if you intend to. Much better than SA51.

Piano has 8 languages for menu; the vendor has kindly set it into Chinese, how touching. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I the test I did not change any default setting except for the Gamma from video to film, play some chapters of those DVD movies, the color is very accurate and film-like. This is a DLP machine, I believe the color should like this, and do not forget the image is on the wall, I think a good screen will help further. In my memory the color of SA51 is another style, which one is better? It¡¦s up to you.

The internal progressive scan converter is great, definition is excellent, even I went closer, about 1.5 m, the picture quality is still acceptable. This is much better than SA51, for SA51 I need to stand at least 3m to watch 70¡¨ image.

Black level? I try it with The Matrix (Chapter2), Deep Blue Sea (Chapter1), and Air Force One (Chapter1). All satisfied, of course, better than SA51, I think the black and contrast is even better than my Panasonic 16:9 TV (old model), but I believe the default setting of black is not perfect, still have some room to adjust when I have a good screen.

Rainbow? I did find some, but it is just in one case: you keep your eyes moving, half a second from the left side of the image to the right side, then half a second move back. I do not think a normal person will watch movie like this.

Since currently my PC using ATI Rage128, and there is no 15 bin D-sub on piano, so I can not test HTPC with piano.

Well, I will say piano is an excellent projector for DVD movie, when my HT is finished, I need to buy a good screen, adjust the machine carefully, and assemble a HTPC with DVI-D interface.

I will share with you at that time.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Anyone compared this one to the Seleco 200DM?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with whatever higher rez DLP gets its act together (finally)with Panamorph or B stock/etc 9" CRT

·
Registered
191 Posts
Harry, thanks for the initial report. What screen parameters (aspect ratio, width dimension and gain) do you ultimately intend to use with your new Piano. Since the Piano uses TI’s dual mode panel 848x480 and 800x600 how does this impact on the screen size chosen. Will the 848x480 image fit within the 800x600 image or does the Piano allow one to fit the 800x600 image within the 848x480 boundary. I mention this, as the 848 pixel width is greater than the 800 pixel width. This is also illustrated if you look closely at the demonstration of the dual mode option on the Plus web site.

Peter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Peter:

For me I will chose 100" 4:3 screen, because in China there is almost no 16:9 screen you can find.

Piano emphasize in its introduction that the best performance of Piano should be at 80" screen. Even you turn on the machine, the opening logo is 80" table theater.

In the web site, says Piano use 848*480 to express 16:9 image and 800*600 for 4:3. Actually the piano has five aspect ratio:

Full: this is for 4:3.

16:9 LB and 16:9, we all know what is this talking about.

Real: this is the original size of the image, it is smaller than the one in full, 16:9 LB and 16:9 format.

Through: I never use this so I do not know what this look like.

Back to your question:Will the 848x480 image fit within the 800x600 image or does the Piano allow one to fit the 800x600 image within the 848x480 boundary.

I do not know it exactly, but according to my feeling, the whole range is 848*600, then 4:3(800*600) and 16:9(848*480) take their own part.

What about the gain? During the test recently, look like the gain around 1.3-1.5 is a better choice.

So, final result: I will use the 100" 4:3 screen with 1.3-1.5 gain, but throw the image at 80" 4:3 or 80" 16:9.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thank-you very much Harry. I hope to view the Piano as soon as it arrives in Vancouver. The local dealer has informed me that it should arrive within a week or so.

Peter

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the interesting review Harry.

Is component input doubled by the projector or just s-video?

Can you confirm that the projector does not accept progressive scan video?

Anybody know if there is a downloadable .pdf of the user guide for this projector anywhere?

Thanks,

Ian Guinan

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Denis,

Nothing official yet. I asked the dealer the same question and he indicated that he was hoping that Plus would offer the Piano for around $4500CDN.

Peter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,Guinan:

In the test I was using component input only, no S-Video, but on the web site, it seems both of them can be doubled by the projector.

Can the projector accept progressive scan video? I am also curious, because on the forum, people are talking different,I do not have a P-DVD player, but my relation does have one, if this question still can not be answered in 2-3 weeks, I will try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.