AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I don't actually have any first impressions yet since I'm still probably a few days from taking delivery on my '2900, but I thought I'd get a thread started for others who might have theirs up and running.

The other 2900 "information" thread has gotten too long and is filled with useful, but mostly speculative, performance information. BTW, I noticed that Crutchfield, in Virginia, now has the 2900 in stock, indicating that the units have completed their cross-country truck journey and should be appearing in stores over the next few days.:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I pick my 2900 up tomorrow, which replaces my original Sony DVP-S7000. I hope to notice a significant difference in video and audio quality. Most importantly I will finally get to enjoy DTS, DVD-Audio and SACD. Yeah!

Andy

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mine is scheduled for next week, but so is my Parasound C2 and A51. With new power cords and interconnects and 100 hours burn-in, I am looking at least 2 weeks out before a review. I am like a kid on Christmas Eve.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Say what you want, but at least one online retailer shows a pre-order price of $849.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's one of Denon's half-dozen or so authorized online retailers, that's not a bad product launch price.

·
Registered
341 Posts
6ave is authorized but no stock.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Guill
With HD - DVD just around the corner (It may be out by this Christmas) is the Denon 2900 worth purchasing?:confused:
What media would you play on it?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
HD-DVD when it becomes available and I would assume that the HD-DVD players would be downward compatible to the original DVD format.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s2silber
Well, I don't actually have any first impressions yet since I'm still probably a few days from taking delivery on my '2900, but I thought I'd get a thread started for others who might have theirs up and running.
damn you, you tease!:mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone....

Currently have a demo of the Sony999 ES, but my dealer has notified me that my 2900 will be in tomorrow. Will post pictures/comments soon after.

~shoe

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just walked in the door with my 2900 in hand.Gotta go to work soon,so I don't think I'll be able to hook it up until tomorrow morning.If it performs as well as it did at the store,anyone want to buy a glitch-free 3800 still under warranty?:D I'll post my review sometime tomorrow.By the way,I purchased at my favorite Denon dealer in Nashville and got it for $841.00+tax(which is almost 10% in Tennessee,dammit!:mad: Oh well,still a good deal for a brand new product launch. Lee

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Racer X
damn you, you tease!:mad:
Lighten up, pal. You'll notice that the second part of the subject line is "availability," which everyone wants to know about. And since a few people do have their units already, getting a first impressions thread going also makes sense.

·
Registered
23 Posts
whoops, forgot to include the *smiley* after mr. angry face. considering you've got approx 870 views with only 12-13 posts, i'm not the only one that was dissapointed.

/back to thread topic.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Here's some more tease. Audio seems very similar to Yamaha S2300, but video section on 2900 is definitely better. The picture is sharp, but very smooth - colors are very natural since I feel that a lot of players tend to be a bit too vibrant on the colors. S2300 has a smooth picture, but a little too soft for my liking.

I really like the build quality of the Denon and the features for tweaking and adjustments on both audio and video. Yamaha provides very limited adjustments on video, very disappointed about this.

BTW, I'm on day 4 w/Denon and liking it a lot so far, my S2300 is starting to collect dusts.

·
Registered
485 Posts
As far as availability, my dealer in Orange County has 3 more sitting there. If any in SoCal would like to know where, PM me. I think he does mail order/shipping also, not sure.

No CHROMA BUG so far.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vdmai
Here's some more tease. Audio seems very similar to Yamaha S2300, but video section on 2900 is definitely better. The picture is sharp, but very smooth - colors are very natural since I feel that a lot of players tend to be a bit too vibrant on the colors. S2300 has a smooth picture, but a little too soft for my liking.

I really like the build quality of the Denon and the features for tweaking and adjustments on both audio and video. Yamaha provides very limited adjustments on video, very disappointed about this.

BTW, I'm on day 4 w/Denon and liking it a lot so far, my S2300 is starting to collect dusts.
Must be nice to have one of each. I cannot find any where I live and no dealer even seems to know where or when they will be in.

Quote:
HD-DVD when it becomes available and I would assume that the HD-DVD players would be downward compatible to the original DVD format.
To each his own I guess. I refuse to pay top dollar for a first generation product again. The Denon and the Yamaha are the kind of products that will keep me happy for several years while any possible new format comes down in price.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.