AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a chance to see the PLV-60 in action earlier today..(THANKS to Rick and the gang - Randy, Tony & the guys at my local HT shop for letting me hang out during their demo!)

Here's my quick general observations FWIW. Note that the test environment included a Stewart Greyhawk 4:3, 100'' diag (I believe) screen for display..

PROS:

- STUNNING picture with a HD source - damn near looked like a CRT. This really must be seen to be believed.

- VERY uniform colors. Crisp. Bright.

- GREAT blacks.

- Good Keystone adjustment.

CONS:

- DVD source material looked 'grainy' to me. (In the Sanyo's defense, this unit was not tweaked AT ALL, so I'm not sure what was going on here). Our source material was Charlie's Angels and my own personal favorite reference disk (Braveheart). 'Angels' looked decent, if a bit red and grainy. Braveheart - did not look good at all, I'm afraid. Very 'off' flesh tones and a general graininess to the picture. The player was a Prog. Scan Sony 9000, hooked up via component inputs.

- Flesh tones: as reported by other users - looked unnatural with too much red/purple. I'm sure this could be tweaked using AVIA, etc, but OOB is not something I'd enjoy watching.

Net net: the colors on the PLV-60 (red tendencies and overproduction aside) are phenomenal. Good uniformity and crispness. The graininess of the picture, however, is something that I found somewhat objectionable. If the unit could be tweaked to get rid of this and provide a more HD-like picture, I would strongly consider the projector. But for those who are trying to decide if the extra $$s over the Sony 10HT are 'worth it' or not, I'd say it's a personal preference as to whether to pick the Sony or the Sanyo.

Hope this helps those (like me) trying to decide between the two..feel free to email me for more info if you'd like. Also - check out Jeff's review of the unit at thebigpicture site.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I'm no expert, but it would seem to me that "graininess" is either a source issue, or related to the fact that the projector has not been adjusted properly, which is one thing Jeff indicated on his review (over at The Big Picture Forum) as being very important. Also, since the 10HT and the Sanyo are using the same LCD panel, and the Sanyo has had at least a year and a half after the intro of the 10HT to improve on it, it does not seem likely that, when both projectors are properly tweaked and then fed the same source, the Sanyo would be noticeably more grainy than the 10HT. Anyway, since I will have the Sanyo in my hands by tomorrow, I guess I'll have to see for myself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
What is the main lesson to be learned by the hundreds of projectors posts at AV science? That the performance of any projector is in the tweaking and setup. For the Sanyo to perform so well out of the box says a lot. I have yet to hear a review of the PLV-60 driven by a HTPC or scaler that can product 1:1 pixel mapping for the LCD panels(e.g. The Rock). I know that the final word on this projector will be clear in a few months after its gets massaged by some capable hands.

------------------

All the best,

Ricardo
Sony KP-xxHS10 Zone

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Assuming, of course, that we're talking about the same thing, I have always found the Sony VW10HT to have a "grainy" and noisy look, too (and I've played with a lot of them in stores and at home). The Sharp, as well. Maybe it's just a characteristic of LCDs.

But it's not necessarily a problem with all types of digital projectors. DLPs, for example, are much better in this regard. D-ILAs, too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smitty - thanks..plz let us know how the PLV-60 looks when you have had a chance to get it setup & adjusted!

Just got back from looking at the 10HT again..I'm still leaning that way as there are a helluva lot of them out there (and a large amount of "user community" knowledge) and I don't think the Sanyo is worth the extra $2,300'ish above and beyond what I can buy the Sony for.

Maybe I don't care as much about getting every last single percentage of improvement out of my system that I'm willing to pay top $$s to do so..$200 or $500 more - maybe..but $2,300 more? There's got to be a VERY compelling reason to do that for my own use..

Keep us posted!

TIA..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.