AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is my first LCD Television. To be honest, I've never even owned a television before so I have lots of questions if you guys are willing to help.

Price: It was one of those last minute deals before the website got hammered and removed the link. I paid $699.99 (~$740 w/ tax). Is this a great deal? My original plan was to wait for Black Friday this year but I had a feeling I would not find a comparable LCD for this price even if I waited.

Specs: How does this model compare to others in its class? Specifically the Samsung LN40B550 and the 40" Sony V-series that I have been originally wanting.

Features: I've read that some LG models from this line are hackable so you can play DIVX movies from its USB port, is this true? How would I go about doing that?

Also, since this TV is internet ready, are there any ways to stream media from a PC on my home network?

Setup Is there any threads or advice on how I should calibrate this TV?

Thanks all for help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just picked this TV up fron Fry's( http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33485118.html ) , and have it mounted and working fine. I would like to know if any of you have used a "Powerline Ethernet Adapter" for the Ethernet connection to your home network? The TV has an Ethernet plug on the back for cat5 wire but I would not want to run the 100-foot of cable in the attic in Texas this time of year.

I would like to run a wireless or wired via powerline adapter for my connection to the Internet. Have any of you guys already done this? Have a link?

Also I have a lot of movies burned to my home computer harddrive. Will I be able to steam these movies on the TV via the Ethernet connection? When I picked it up I guessed it would work but I not sure now after watching the link above.

Here are some wireless on the market right now.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...pter&x=22&y=23

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah you should be able to watch your movies no problem.One thing I don't like though, when you watch dvds it says loading when it gets to the next vob file for the movie, it takes like 2 seconds. I have like 3 powerline kits they work great one is connected to a roku the other a computer and the last one a slingcatcher. They are the belkin FSD4075.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's no need for samba... you just need to have the folders shared on your network if your using windows... The tv will locate it when you go to netcast-mymedia-Movie List-Network- Pc- Folder**** . The tv will not play DVD menus... so when you rip them or whatever do not include them.

To play dvd go to dvd***- Video_st. Press Enter on first Vts_01_1.vob file

Then go down to Mark all

Then press Enter once more

Press Enter again on Play Marked

The Entire Dvd will play but when going to next vob you will see load, but it only takes like secs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the quick response - VERY HELPFUL! I called LG and it was remarkable how little they knew about the My Media feature on their displays!

I currently have my movie library ripped onto my NAS box - all consisting of IFO/VOB files in VIDEO_TS folders.

Sounds like I will be able to browse to those folders to play the movies and the only con is that there will be a slight delay as the next vob is loaded. Great news as I wasn't looking forward to implementing DLNA to serve up the files.

Have you noticed anything about the ' 1080/24p problem' that was mentioned on this LG xxLH50 thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173695

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I just watched Inglourious Basterds yesterday on Blu-ray via my PS3... It stuttered a few times... Another thing... when I turn on the 120hz mode nothing on the tv looks natural at all. I think my tv is defective though, when I use Netflix on it then go to Vudo the tv turns off...lol plus the lights on the back , they shine through the vents I don't know if you saw my post from September.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181151

I didn't take it back because I had already had a LGLH30 that was defective, there was a bright spot on the top corner of the tv the size of a penny and since I did online in store pick up I had to haul that P.O.S all the way back to the store. The tv was on sale to I think it was only 637 and some change after tax. They sold out pretty fast so they were gonna ship me the Lglh40 for way more money, than they said they would give me a discount.

But when I found out the issues with the lip sync I canceled the order, It took some time they told me it was too late to cancel it and that I was gonna have to just bring it back to the store when I got it because it wasn't being shipped through their home delivery service. Come to find out Ups didn't even get the tv yet it was still in there warehouse I got it canceled .

I got This tv for LIKE 50 dollars more than the LGLH30 before I include the tax and warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you regularly have stutter issues? I've heard the anti judder effect isn't effective. Sounds like alot of people keep it off.

Do you have the latest firmware loaded?

Its too bad because in concept I really like the features on this display, but if there really are problems, its not worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.