AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided it was time that I build a pair of floor standing speakers for the living room, and I need advice on the cabinet design. My parts list is in the attached picture. I used WinISD to calculate a box, and it came up with 1.96 ft squared. Is that an optimal size? I also need to have the tallest box possible with the given volume so I can fit both woofers and the tweeter in the box. If need be, I might consider making a separate box for each tweeter.

Any advice is welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and I applaud you for your enthusiasm. You have taken on a daunting task to try to build an original design from the ground up. Unfortunately, I do see several deal breakers in your plan.

In general, you are picking components off the shelf which will undoubtedly cost you some money, and not deliver any kind of optimized performance. In the end you will spend all that money and invest your time, and have speakers which will not sound good. The key fail is the generic crossover (many will abbreviate it as XO). The secret to great sounding speakers is to get an XO that is designed for your intended use and matched to your drivers.

Rather than pick apart your design, I would suggest you do some more research. I would strongly suggest you start small by utilizing a proven design. It looks like you want to use a planar tweeter and a floor standing design. Try to find a DIY kit where somebody has already done the R&D so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. You will get a MUCH better sound and avoid wasting time and money.

http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/

+++

So others can help with specific suggestions, I suggest you list your budget, how big a room in which these will be used, and for what purpose (L/C/R, or surrounds) and if you want to listen to music or cinema. Then list if these will be near field, far field, and how loud you want to listen. Some prefer party room LOUD and some want speakers for more critical musical listening. It might also help to list the music you like. Since you started with speakers with 6" woofers, you might consider whether you will be adding a subwoofer to get the full range of sound.

Whatever you want to do, I guarantee you somebody else has also wanted to do the same thing! Build off the experiences, good and bad, of others.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts