AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I got the 8700 today and it's just standing on my table. Projecting same screensize as with my old XGA DLP projector. Using Denon 3910 + DVI (10 m). Everything seems great. Excellent picture. I still have ambient light i.e. can't really tell anything about contrast. The picture is great out of the box so far.

But my first A/B comparison between the 8700 and the XGA DLP reveals a slightly bigger screendoor !!!. What on earth is going on here. It seems that the grid width is the same on the HD2+ chip as on the older DLP XGA chip i.e. the total area of the inactive grid is larger for the HD2+ chip... Anyways sitting back more than 1.5 x screen width handles this problem. I was just expecting that it would be ok to sit much closer with this better resolution - surprise to me !

/ Hli

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
maybe you should have got a panasonic AE-700 and saved a few bucks.

Zero screen door

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Leave it to Tryg to troll every single thread and suck any enjoyment left out of owning a BRAND NEW projector! :rolleyes:

Hli,

I'm a bit surprised by your finding as it is in contrast to everything I've read in this forum and experienced for myself.

Try playing with the focus adjustments. Maybe you've had your XGA machine defocused all this time and the screendoor was less visible.

Good luck and enjoy your new projector.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Wait a second, Andy, you think there was so little enjoyment that one line from Tryg can destroy it? Or is it that you think Tryg's prowess is just that great as to undo anything? Inquiring minds want to know.

OP, are you sure it was a SDE condition and not just a sharp pixelization? Not doubting you, but just want to make sure.

·
Registered
21,366 Posts
This was not my experience watching Toms H77. There was less screen door than on my HT1000 - which I brought with me to Toms for comparison. However, different screens show screen door to a greater ( or lesser ) extent too.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Andy,

Everybody should fear me...especially you. And I would like you all to get on your knees when I enter the room. Never look me straight in the eye!

hli

there's always tradeoffs

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrikos
Leave it to Tryg to troll every single thread and suck any enjoyment left out of owning a BRAND NEW projector! :rolleyes:

Hli,

I'm a bit surprised by your finding as it is in contrast to everything I've read in this forum and experienced for myself.

Try playing with the focus adjustments. Maybe you've had your XGA machine defocused all this time and the screendoor was less visible.

Good luck and enjoy your new projector.
Thanks, I think you are on to something. I was thinking the same. Actually I think the optics is just far better on the 8700 - sharp means sharp, dead on, all over - impressing !. Will continue testing.

As far as Tryg goes I was considering the AE700 for several weeks, but I tried the Z2 recently, which turned me into a trusty DLP guy. To me LCD is not an option.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
Andy,

Everybody should fear me...especially you.
You make me laugh. Does that count? ;)

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Quote:
But my first A/B comparison between the 8700 and the XGA DLP reveals a slightly bigger screendoor !!!. What on earth is going on here. It seems that the grid width is the same on the HD2+ chip as on the older DLP XGA chip i.e. the total area of the inactive grid is larger for the HD2+ chip... Anyways sitting back more than 1.5 x screen width handles this problem. I was just expecting that it would be ok to sit much closer with this better resolution - surprise to me !
Noticed the same thing...cheaper "presentation" DLP projectors here at work have less obvious SDE than my 8700 or any other higher-end HT-oriented HD2 DLP for that matter.

I think its due to the better optics and lenses of the HT projectors...they are revealing a less "blurred" picture to the screen. I think there's a sort of smoothing effect that takes place in the optical path of the cheaper PJs that actually smooths out SDE...but it also makes the image look a little less sharp at the same time.

The ideal of course is when pixel structure gets close enough that there is no more real visible inter-pixel spacing--like with LCOS. I think DLP will get there in a few years...at least to the point that it won't affect normal-distance viewing as it does now. Even at 1.6 screen widths I can see the slight effects of SDE on my 8700. Not a "problem" and I'd still prefer this PJ all things being equal...but who can argue that no SDE would be better than even minor SDE.

-dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.