AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Samsung SPR4212 ED TV from SAMS CLUB...same as 4232 per their web site. Brought it home, mounted on the wall, hooked up to OTA HD feed and watched a stunning NFL game. Bubble quickly burst when I went to SD cable and noticed that most channels looked bad.....really bad. I mean all face (cheek) detail was lost.....looked like manaquins! Worse in darker scenes it seemed. This cannot be right?! Is this a known Samsung ED problem? Can it be adjusted out? Does the Panny ED do this? I was going to buy the panny ED but the Samsung had many more features (2 tuner input, pip). I was tring to convice myself it was ok til the wife walked in and said........, eww, whats wrong with your new TV? I think Sams gives 90 days on returns. What a bummer as some of the HD is SOo nice.

Can I fix this or ????

Thanks all Phil

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
SD will look like crap on just about any plasma...

garbage in, garbage out...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Search the threads and you will find that this is common with Samsungs. It's called "Clay face". Maybe has something to do with samsung DNIe??

My Panny does not have this issue and I've looked trust me. BTW, a buddy of mine just bought the Samsung ED from costco. I watched it and noticed the clay face immediately. There is also color-banding issue.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I didn't expect HD from SD but I didn't expect it to look like !$?! either! I mean cable SD looks pretty good on my Sony RP 51' 16:9 ?? Postering didn't go in....so why is it comming out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Search this forum for 4232, DNIe, Samsung, etc. and you will see many reports of what Samsung's DNIe image processing does to noisy signals and dark scenes.

Here's a recent example.

I had a Samsung 4232 and exchanged for a Panasonic 42PD50. The 42PD50 is much better on SD. On most NTSC signals, the 42PD50 looks very good, even zoomed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha! CLAY FACE is an amazlying accurate way to describe this!!! I bet your buddy was happy you came over! (you can help him take it back to costco). Do you have the ED or HD version?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz400
Just picked up a Samsung SPR4212 ED TV from SAMS CLUB...same as 4232 per their web site. Brought it home, mounted on the wall, hooked up to OTA HD feed and watched a stunning NFL game. Bubble quickly burst when I went to SD cable and noticed that most channels looked bad.....really bad. I mean all face (cheek) detail was lost.....looked like manaquins! Worse in darker scenes it seemed. This cannot be right?! Is this a known Samsung ED problem? Can it be adjusted out? Does the Panny ED do this? I was going to buy the panny ED but the Samsung had many more features (2 tuner input, pip). I was tring to convice myself it was ok til the wife walked in and said........, eww, whats wrong with your new TV? I think Sams gives 90 days on returns. What a bummer as some of the HD is SOo nice.

Can I fix this or ????

Thanks all Phil

I returned my samsung 4252 for the same reason.. Now I have the Panasonic PX50 and SD looks surprisingly very good. Hd on the panny looks great also.

Take it back!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wish I could fix it/adjust it as I really like the unit other wise...... Guess not. I like the 2 RF inputs for my cable and OTA HD. Panny only has one. I can get by without the PIP.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have the ED panny. IMO, the adjusted panny beats the samsung out of the box. (that doesn't say much)

Yea, I asked my buddy if he likes his picture, without getting into details. I figure if he cannot see it, then why point it out to him? Once I point it out, he'll see it all the time, and I'd bust his bubble. He's the type of guy that would take it personally even though you are trying to help him.

Anyways, I feel for you, I would not be able to watch the damn thing. From what I read, you cannot turn off the DNIe. could be wrong.

Also, when i was playing around with it, I could find where to adjust the contrast, brightness, sharpness. I could only find the color menu.

The added features are nice but in the end what is THE most important thing with a display???

·
Registered
114 Posts
i knew i shoulda paid more attention in history class. so you're saying its hazardous to his health to allow him to continue watching, when i know better and that he may get so caught up with look for clay face that someone could sneek up behind him with a gun? :p

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Just picked up a Samsung SPR4212 ED TV from SAMS CLUB...same as 4232 per their web site. Brought it home, mounted on the wall, hooked up to OTA HD feed and watched a stunning NFL game. Bubble quickly burst when I went to SD cable and noticed that most channels looked bad.....really bad. I mean all face (cheek) detail was lost.....looked like manaquins! Worse in darker scenes it seemed. This cannot be right?! Is this a known Samsung ED problem? Can it be adjusted out? Does the Panny ED do this? I was going to buy the panny ED but the Samsung had many more features (2 tuner input, pip). I was tring to convice myself it was ok til the wife walked in and said........, eww, whats wrong with your new TV?
I wish you had read all the adverse Sammy/SD posts on this forum before you bought the Sammy - you probably would not have chosen it. HD will look good on just about any plasma but the real test is how it deals with SD and the Samsung falls flat on it's face here. PQ was the biggest reason why i decided NOT to buy it, after all the prime directive is picture quality so i went with a featureless lower-end Panny even though i really wanted a lot of the features that the Sammy has. SD looks great on the Panny - it's actually enjoyable to watch and very close to the same quality as my 32" HD CRT.

I hope everybody is letting Samsung know why so many people are returning them to the stores. You just don't see anyone returning Panasonics because they're unhappy with the PQ, but lots of guys here have returned their Samsungs for Panasonics. Samsung needs to put some serious effort into greatly improving their SD performance if they want to sell to the more discerning buyers. Joe Six Pack on the other hand might be totally happy with the subpar PQ, maybe that's the market they're going for . . .

·
Banned
37 Posts
mistake 1. plasma ED - get an lcd for the same price and lose the crap SD, gain TRUE hd

mistake 2. Samsung - worst company ever IMO

mistake 3. sams club... walmarts big brother.... all made in china... buy from costco, return 30 years later, not 90 days later

:)

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterInsurgent
mistake 1. plasma ED - get an lcd for the same price and lose the crap SD, gain TRUE hd

mistake 3. sams club... walmarts big brother.... all made in china... buy from costco, return 30 years later, not 90 days later

:)
I WILL CORRECT THIS POSTERS MISTAKES

Mistake 1. It is not a mistake to get a ED plasma, I have owned both ED and HD plasmas, they can both be great if you get the right brand of ED or HD plasma.

Mistake 2. Samsung is not the worst company ever for plasma but they are not the greatest either.

Mistake 3. Sams club also sells Panasonic plasmas does this mean dont buy a Panasonic plasma from Sams. Costco also sells plasmas that are made in China. Whats wrong with China, there are some plasmas, some very good, that are made in China. Costco and Sams both have very good return policys.

Davyo

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterInsurgent

1. SD on an ED plasma looks better than any larger-sized LCD from what i've seen.

2. Samsung isn't the greatest company, but it's nowhere near the worst. Just a level below what i'd consider a good brand name. I haven't seen a Korean plasma yet that wowed me. Their wimmin are teh hotness though ;)

3. A 90 day return policy is plenty to evaluate your purchase, and is 3 times better than the policy of CC or BB. I doubt Costco will take a plasma back after 30 years.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooviedoovie
Huh? Mrs Lincoln, i dont get it?

I didnt like the display.
You obviously didn't see one of the best movies from last year, Zach Braff's "Garden State." That was the first time I heard this line and even I knew what it meant within a few seconds.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Randy, they better, otherwise thier salemen should be fired

When i got my set from costco he told me i can bring it back in 50 years if i wanted to, assuming costco is still there

He said its a lifetime return option, and he told this to another guy there buying the same set aswell

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Quote:

Can I fix this or ????

Thanks all Phil
My Panny Pd50 actually matches the SD PQ of my best SD CRT sets. No clay face at all. In HD its unbelieveable!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.