AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is officially my first post and I have been reading as much as I can the last few weeks on setting up an outdoor theater. Based off recommendations I have read I have already purchased a Carls place 214in flexiwhite screen kit and a epson 1060 projector. I have a few questions below and any help is appreciated, thank you.

1) I see a lot of recommendations for using PA speakers for an outdoor theater and mainly 212xl/215xl. Is this still the best route to go? And if PA is the best route is there another brand that's recommended other than those?

2) If the Behringers are the best to go with I read people recommend a sub, what sub is a good solution for outdoors?

3) I currently have a pioneer vsx 1130 in an extra bedroom that is rarely used and was thinking I could use this for the new setup. Should I use this receiver or is there a way the speakers can be plugged directly into the projector?

4) most importantly if you recommend using that receiver can you please explain exactly how I would need to wire it to the receiver? I have read so much and still cant seem to find out of that receiver will work and if its worth using

5) lastly do you recommend a LCR system or is it worth making a 5.1 outdoors and do i still use the same PA speaker's for the back?

Thank you for any help and sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
This is officially my first post and I have been reading as much as I can the last few weeks on setting up an outdoor theater. Based off recommendations I have read I have already purchased a Carls place 214in flexiwhite screen kit and a epson 1060 projector. I have a few questions below and any help is appreciated, thank you.
The HC1060 is a great little projector for the money. However, a 214" screen is quite large for it's output. You'll get an image, but it's going to be on the dim side. I'm very familiar with Carl's screens and the HC1060 projector. Somewhere around 165" is probably the largest image I like to project with the HC1060. Again, you'll get an image at 214" but expect to have the sun completely down with a dark sky to watch it.

1) I see a lot of recommendations for using PA speakers for an outdoor theater and mainly 212xl/215xl. Is this still the best route to go? And if PA is the best route is there another brand that's recommended other than those?

2) If the Behringers are the best to go with I read people recommend a sub, what sub is a good solution for outdoors?
You can use most any speaker(s). It depends on what sound quality you want and what you're willing to spend.

Any subwoofer can work. Don't expect to get chest pounding bass out doors unless you're using some very large bass bin type units. And if you do, I hope you're not living next door to people in a subdivision.

3) I currently have a pioneer vsx 1130 in an extra bedroom that is rarely used and was thinking I could use this for the new setup. Should I use this receiver or is there a way the speakers can be plugged directly into the projector?
The Pioneer VSX1130 will work just fine. Yes, if you have the receiver use it. The HC1060 has no audio out connection. If it did, it should be the last place you would want to make the audio connection. You can use what's called an HDMI audio extractor and divert audio from the HDMI cable if it's necessary. But that would not be necessary since you have the Pioneer AVR.

4) most importantly if you recommend using that receiver can you please explain exactly how I would need to wire it to the receiver? I have read so much and still cant seem to find out of that receiver will work and if its worth using
Passive PA speakers will connect to the AVR just like any other speaker.

5) lastly do you recommend a LCR system or is it worth making a 5.1 outdoors and do i still use the same PA speaker's for the back?
I use a 5.3 system and I would recommend a 5.1 if you can swing it. But there is nothing wrong with a 3-way LCR system or a 2-channel setup. If you're using something less than 5.1, you will want to down mix to 2-channel stereo.

I use 5, 2-way speakers that use 51/4" drivers and 1" tweeters and three subwoofers and a Denon receiver not too different from your Pioneer. I've no problem filling the area with sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for helping me out with this, I really appreciate it. The reason I initially went with that projector was cost and lumens, but I know in the future I will end up with a 4k projector and wanted the largest screen to basically future proof myself and still enjoy it in the meantime before I take that plunge.

My home speakers are all martinlogan, but outdoor is an entirely new animal to me. Would you still recommend sticking with the PA route for speakers?

We are on a 2 acre lot so luckily neighbors aren't an issue. Is a PA/DJ sub the best option vs a regular home theater sub? And can I use the sub port on the back of the receiver or do i need a separate amp? I am currently running separates for my house setup but i think for outdoors that would be a pain.

Ok, so just to make sure I understand fully I plug the 215xl speakers directly into the Left right and center rca connections on the back of the vsx receiver just like a home theater setup? And is it rca to rca like home theater speakers or is it a different connection?

I will at the very least have LCR so I assume it wouldnt be stereo in that case. Would I set the receiver to surround sound mode or something different?

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
My home speakers are all martinlogan, but outdoor is an entirely new animal to me. Would you still recommend sticking with the PA route for speakers?
Indoor or outside, doesn't really matter what the location is. The connections are the same, the equipment does not know if it's outside or inside. PA speakers are fine if that's what you want to use. I'm on a one acre lot and I use much smaller speakers and it's still possible to piss off the neighbors.

We are on a 2 acre lot so luckily neighbors aren't an issue. Is a PA/DJ sub the best option vs a regular home theater sub? And can I use the sub port on the back of the receiver or do i need a separate amp? I am currently running separates for my house setup but i think for outdoors that would be a pain.
As I said, you can use any subwoofer you like. If you're using the LFE output on your Pioneer AVR you need a powered/active subwoofer or a passive subwoofer with a separate power amplifier. Again, there's nothing different here vs. using the equipment inside.

Ok, so just to make sure I understand fully I plug the 215xl speakers directly into the Left right and center rca connections on the back of the vsx receiver just like a home theater setup? And is it rca to rca like home theater speakers or is it a different connection?
No. You would use the 5-way speaker binding posts on the back of the AVR to connect the speakers. RCA inputs are typically used for source inputs. Look at your Pioneer manual...

I will at the very least have LCR so I assume it wouldnt be stereo in that case. Would I set the receiver to surround sound mode or something different?
Well... if you're not setting up a surround speaker system, it wouldn't make too much sense to run the AVR in surround mode would it? It's something different, mono or stereo, your choice. Again, that information for setup is in the Pioneer user manual. You're going to want to down mix to stereo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts