AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congratulations to you all for a wonderful forum. I have been lurking for months now trying to learn as much as I can and this is one the best places on the net to educate yourself to this addictive world of ht.

I am currently building a family room extension to my home that will also double as a ht. There will be some ambient light in the room - not complete black out during the day. The room is approximately 20 feet square and seating distance from screen will be around 12 to 15 feet. I am seeking your suggestions for a projector suitable for this situation.

As I live in Australia, the projector will be fed 95% of the time with interlaced PAL signals via a DVD player (no progressive scan PAL at this stage - although there are some early players coming through from China- wait and see at this stage???). I will not be going the pc route due to WAF.

As far as budget goes, I guess I'm looking at speading the same or slightly more than I would for a RP tv, around the $8000 - $9000 OZ (= 27 cents US) - no just joking, around the $3000US.

Any help and suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome.

This is only the beginning.

Soon you will find yourself logging in every 5 minutes.

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you checked out the 10HT, I picked mine up for

under AU$10.000. Do your homework and check out several DLP's as well as LCD's and then decide which has the least irritating flaws.

------------------

Tertiary adjunct to Unimatrix Zero-One

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nickoff,

Welcome! I started my HT in my family room over 18 months ago. There is a lot more to budget than the projector. There are lots of decisions to make like what speakers and audio system to include. Is screen fixed or does it roll down? Are speaker(s) behind screen so you will need a perforated screen? Do you go with a scaler or a HTPC? virtually all current projectors need an external scaler.

Then when your HT is complete there is the on going expense of a new bulb every 1000- 2000 hours, popcorn, carpet cleaning, and special treats for the wife because you spent so much on your HT.

Don't get me wrong, I love my HT. I have a Dukane 9015 (JVC G15 eqv.), an ISCO I lens a Vutek roll down sound screen, Magnapan speakers, EAD sound processor, CrystalImage scaler an RCA DTC100 receiver. I control all of this with a Pronto remote. However, I dream with envy every time I read about new scaler or HTPC function or a new anamorphic lens

Everybody knows what a sailboat is. I will just remind you that Home Theater is a hole in your family room that you dump money in. Have fun with a new hobby.

Then on

------------------

Jim Nissen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.