AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm Steve and this is my first post here. I've been here lurking around for awhile now. This is a potentially addicting hobby!

Background:

I have older equipment. My current setup is circa 1994 21" Monitor and 19" TV which is hooked to my 2.8ghz 800mhz FSB PC with a circa 1999 Aiwa bookshelf for sound. I don't know much about them. I paid 40 bucks for the monitor years ago, and got the TV and sound system for free. I run Beyond TV in the TV and run the computer on the computer. If that makes any sence. I also have a projector I bought years ago to set up a little theater.

I came here 6 months ago and adjusted the TV and Monitor with the AVS DVD and some blue filters. Really improved things.

Now its time to ditch the old equipment as the blacker than black on my monitor is fading and it's rather annoying to read text on a TV.

I have a 13x9 foot rectangle for a room and probably won't have a larger listening space until I buy a house. Not during college :p

Questions:

What should I do? I've been thinking of buying two or three 22" Mitsubishi DiamondPro CRTs. They are cheap, and I get alot of desktop real-estate for the TV, Movie Watching, and study notes taken on my Tablet. They are the pinnacle of CRT Technology so should have good picture, right? I could even run HDTV on them.

The big question is sound. I'd like to get some good surround sound. I've been thinking of buying a HTIB which I've read most people say to avoid. However, what about a 5.1 or 7.1 PC speaker setup like the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra? Some people seem convinced that they are better then the average HTIB setup. Why I don't know. I could buy a receiver to hook my PC too and build some speakers. I've heard good things about the 'Revrend''s designs on his webiste I can not mention until I get more established in the forums :p

The even bigger question is how I should set the room up. Should I go lateral or vertical? 5.1 or 7.1? I'm open to any placement advice you may have. I plan on sitting in front of two or three CRTs most of the time, but if I'm going to have friends over or want to watch stuff big, I do have a 350 lumen, 100:1 CR, 1024x768 projector I can use. I've never used it before.

My room is a 13x9 Rectangle. I can't post a diagram until I'm more established in the forums. One of the 9 foot sides is the 5 foot wide entrance.

Lets try the ASCII art.

___

| |

| |

| |

| |

` `

That was amusing, I wonder how well it works. :p I'm not easily side tracked, I swear!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems I've posted in the incorrect forum. All you guys are way ahead of my current level and budget for a movie listening platform. Dare not to call it a HT! :p Very nice setups on here. I take special likeness to the person with the Star Trek Theater.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.