AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I've perused these forums from time to time, and appreciate all the honest opinions here amongst the vast knowledge of AV product.


I just ordered a Sony SXRD 60" KDS-60A2000 to be delivered this following Saturday. I currently have a standard definition Hitachi 50" rear projection TV about eight years old that is being replaced by this Sony.


I am just checking to see if there is anything out of the ordinary to consider before or after it arrives.


Here is my setup:


(1) Sony 60" SXRD Rear Projection TV

(2) Comcast Motorola DCT6412 / III with HDMI, Component

(3) Sony STR-DE475 Amplifier / Tuner

(4) Sony DVP-NS725P DVD Player with 5.1 Jensen 450W Speakers/Sub

(5) Sony SLV-N71 VCR

(6) Microsoft XBOX 360 with HD-DVD Player


Thanks in advance for anyone's comments.


I am quite GEEKED to get this beautiful TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What, no comments, suggestions, assistance?


One question though, where's best place to buy a decent HDMI cable?


I plan on hooking up my Cable box/DVD with an HDMI cable, and that is the only cable I need as I have all the other cables I need for my other devices. I don't care to spend $100 on a stinking cable if not really necessary. I already broke the bank getting this TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I considered the WD-65732, and never saw the 65831 anywhere, but hearing about many issues with cooling causing shut downs, and ventilation issues in general, that concerned me, not to mention the loud fan, even on the display unit.


This is the first I've heard of the "Green Glob" issue with SXRD, but doing a google search, I see it is a questionable issue. The few sets I previewed in stores had no noticeable "green glob" issue. I watch a lot of hockey, so I'm sure I will find out quickly with all the white ice.


So it appears there's an issue with every major manufacturer of HDTV units:


- Mitsubishi has overheat problems

- Sony has Green Glob issue

- Samsung has Rainbow issue


What to DO???


I can't afford to dump another $1000+ on a set, since I got this puppy for $2300, max I could afford. Actually more than max, but the picture is beautiful. I have a four year warranty, so will be sure to use it to its fullest if need be.


EDIT: What happened to the response that I replied to? Was his post deleted for some reason?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Hey, Mark - regarding the green blob issue it could most likely be an issue of either manufacturing quality control (or assurance) or it could be some kind of post-manufacturing problem such as poor shipping and handling.


My first HDTV was the Sony XS955 series (quickly went into oblivion upon the advent of 3LCD technology, which in turn 3LCD quickly went into oblivion upon full-phase SXRD production, which will soon go into oblivion as OLEDs pave way). I got my XS955 in perfect condition despite the fact that many people complained of green blob issues on that particular set including its sister model, the WE model. It's not something you should be horribly afraid of althought it may happen to your set.


There has even been heavy speculation that it's the homes of certain viewers that is at fault regarding the green blob (e.g. poor electrical insulation, poor wiring, poor power source, even to the point where ironically most of the green blobs take place within a localized region (affirming poor quality control).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. I hope that I don't get this "green blob" issue. I saved my pennies for some time to get a decent set, and would be quite frustrated if it's anything but perfect, at least image-wise.


I guess I'll be prepared to swap out a set or two to get it perfect if need be. And if it isn't fixed, just have to go with a Mitsubishi.


We will find out this coming Saturday!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks /forum/post/0


Hey, Mark - regarding the green blob issue it could most likely be an issue of either manufacturing quality control (or assurance) or it could be some kind of post-manufacturing problem such as poor shipping and handling.


My first HDTV was the Sony XS955 series (quickly went into oblivion upon the advent of 3LCD technology, which in turn 3LCD quickly went into oblivion upon full-phase SXRD production, which will soon go into oblivion as OLEDs pave way). I got my XS955 in perfect condition despite the fact that many people complained of green blob issues on that particular set including its sister model, the WE model. It's not something you should be horribly afraid of althought it may happen to your set.


There has even been heavy speculation that it's the homes of certain viewers that is at fault regarding the green blob (e.g. poor electrical insulation, poor wiring, poor power source, even to the point where ironically most of the green blobs take place within a localized region (affirming poor quality control).


The Green Blob is evident in a portion of the SXRD XBR1 versons. Seems to be fixed in the SXRD XBR2 versions. Not a power problem. The issue is very wide spred across the country. Sony has replaced many Optical Blocks trying to fix this issue. My 50 XBR1 is awaiting its 2nd OB. Sony is exchanging the worst cases for A2000s and XBR2s.
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbx /forum/post/0


So it appears there's an issue with every major manufacturer of HDTV units:


- Mitsubishi has overheat problems

- Sony has Green Glob issue

- Samsung has Rainbow issue

Mitsubishi and Samsung are single chip RPTV sets and for that reason a small percentage of people will see "rainbows". Of the ones who do see rainbows, some are not bothered by them.

Quote:
EDIT: What happened to the response that I replied to? Was his post deleted for some reason?

If the person who posted a reply in your thread wrote mostly about how great Mitsubishi is and/or about how terrible Sony SXRD sets are, then it was our resident Troll. He uses new user names, and posts as fast as possible before his latest user name is deleted.


What he writes is so silly that people who know about him just file a report that he is back and the moderators take care of him. He was active Sunday.



You would have probably gotten more responses if you had posted in the owner's thread for the A2000 models.


Enjoy your new set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks... I eventually figured out he is a troll. Just got my TV yesterday evening, and OMFG! It is unbelievable. My wife was wondering what the big deal was why I was so excited before we got it, and was a little resistant. Now she's quite happy too!


So far so good. Watched King Kong last night (came with my XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive) and Serenity. I also played some Gears of War and Lost Planet. I was quite pleased to say the least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbx /forum/post/0


Thanks... I eventually figured out he is a troll. Just got my TV yesterday evening, and OMFG! It is unbelievable. My wife was wondering what the big deal was why I was so excited before we got it, and was a little resistant. Now she's quite happy too!


So far so good. Watched King Kong last night (came with my XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive) and Serenity. I also played some Gears of War and Lost Planet. I was quite pleased to say the least.

Mark,


Send out an update as you tweak and play. Recommend getting the AVIA or DVD Essentials DVD to calibrate your system. My wife and I both picked out the SXBR TVs as best in PQ but too many $ for what we would pay. Instead bought the 2nd TV first (Samsung 4226w DLP) for $1700 and waiting for the 60 inchers to come further down in price. Looks like the price is knocking on the door! We were very pleased with the PQ out of the box on the Samsung but were wowed after doing a bunch of tweaking to get an even better PQ. I would be interested in what tweaks you did to increase your PQ.


Brett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbx /forum/post/0


What, no comments, suggestions, assistance?


One question though, where's best place to buy a decent HDMI cable?


I plan on hooking up my Cable box/DVD with an HDMI cable, and that is the only cable I need as I have all the other cables I need for my other devices. I don't care to spend $100 on a stinking cable if not really necessary. I already broke the bank getting this TV.

Monoprice.com has excellent HDMI cables for ...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top