AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all. I'm Marty from Texas and just registered today - this is my first post. This is a great forum and since I discovered it two days ago I've spent most of my time reading a bunch of threads. I'm very impressed! I hope I use my html tags right here but if not I'll get the hang of it pretty soon.

I purchased a Hitachi 57" RPTV (I forget the exact model now but it is SWX or SWB or something like that) from Sears and it should be here any day. I wish I had found this site before I ordered because now I am concerned about several things I've been reading about re these sets. Please keep in mind I know nothing about this stuff.

For example, this "stretch" thing that degrades some Directv programs, especially sports. I view Directv (but not their locals) and like the picture a lot. I would hate to think going to the Hitachi will make it look worse. Is this true of all programs or just some? Also, I use webtv (a lot) and it caused screen burn big time on my Pioneer RP. I've heard this is a problem with the Hitachi as well.

Finally, the Pioneer has no screen saver so daytime viewing is ok. I have many windows behind the seating area and now I am concerned that the glare of the screen will be very bad with this set.
I plan on getting a Panasonic DVD-RP62 to use with this tv as I read it was a good bang for the buck product. It is progressive scan and now I understand the Hitachi is better viewed without a progressive scan dvd player (I still don't understand why or how that can be as it is suppose to compliment the HDTV ready features of the Hitachi).

Does anyone have any thoughts on all this? Are there better tv and dvd options considering my source is Directv and that I use webtv? Can I remove the screen? Thanks.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I don't know where people are getting this whole thing about the Hitachis looking "better" with a non progressive dvd player. That's just false. The truth of it is, the TV does a good enough job of 3:2 pulldown that you don't really need a progressive scan player but it certainly doesn't hurt anything to have one.

Burn in is a fact of life with any CRT RPTV. Just vary your viewing material as much as possible and make sure your contrast is set right and you should be ok. Try avoiding the network logos if possible.

Hitachi's stretch modes are acceptable. There are some that are better (Pioneer elites are the best, probably followed by Toshiba) but they aren't horrible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I find the Hitachi stretch modes terrible especially with sports like football but I'm comparing these to the Sony HD-200 Directv HTDV set top box stretch modes that I also have. I usually use the Sony's except when the receiving HD material that has bars on the side (Sony won't let you stretch HD material and some stations broadcast material with 4:3 ratio with sidebars.

The screen glare is tolerable, but I wish they had a non-glare screen. People done surgery on the TV to remove the anti-glare screen. Do a search on the forum for details.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Most people who complain about the Hitachi stretch modes don't even own one.

Just look at thier profiles.

I have been doing this for a few months now, and I laugh everytime I see somthing about a "bad stretch" and then read other links from the same poster from thier profile search function and find out they own a Toshiba.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, your responses make me feel better about my purchase, especially the stretch "problem".

I did look at the thread re screen removal but it sounds like a project I'll screw up. The same holds true for all the calibration and adjustment work Mike and others have talked about. I live pretty much out in the woods with the nearest qualified technician 70 miles away so I plan on adjusting the set best I can with one of the dvd tools. I've read threads that mention two of them, Video Essentials and Avia. Which of these is best with the Hitachi?

·
Registered
972 Posts
If you liked directv's picture "a lot" on another RPTV then you probably won't have a problem with the Hitachi. I liked the satellite picture a lot on my 32" direct view, but do not like it on the RPTV (I have the 65XWX).

I don't care for the 4:3 expanded stretch mode on the Hitachi (can't compare to others, this is my first RPTV). I am getting used to the 16:9 standard stretch for 4:3 material.

You may find your windows an issue with the SWX although it's screen is pretty good. Others have minimized the effectiveness and value of the TWX/XWX anti-glare screen as compared to the SWX; I think it is outstanding and worth a look.

Rich

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milacqua
Thanks guys, your responses make me feel better about my purchase, especially the stretch "problem".

I did look at the thread re screen removal but it sounds like a project I'll screw up. The same holds true for all the calibration and adjustment work Mike and others have talked about. I live pretty much out in the woods with the nearest qualified technician 70 miles away so I plan on adjusting the set best I can with one of the dvd tools. I've read threads that mention two of them, Video Essentials and Avia. Which of these is best with the Hitachi?
I used VE as this is what I have. From the sounds of it, Avia may be more comprehensive. If I had neither, I'd probably get the Avia.

I don't think you'll mess anything up with the minor service menu adjustment that you referred to. Just be careful.

Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.